• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Man Found Guilty of Anime File-Sharing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
You pay for it like what happens on BOST TV, Netflix etc.

i meant in regard to the law they have posted at the bottom on the article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Good to see you can still get away with murder in Japan but file-sharing'll get you murphed out.

Hm yes this is a very intelligent observation.
I can sympathise with he's stance with that, seeing as the Japanese police still haven't captured the suspect what killed that British English teacher last year. So for her family he has a valid point.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
i gotta ask this question. why would anyone need broadband internet if not for illegal downloading? Everyone would still use dial up if we were only checking email and reading a few websites. one guy goes to jail for uploading, then 5 new guys pop up to take his place and then some. it's futile. the only animes I buy are ones I've downloaded and liked. It's always cheap collections too. Not the initial expensive box set. I bought every Naruto box set released so far thanks to fansubs. I don't know anyone that can afford to waste $20 on 4 episodes of anime. If I couldn't download anime for free, I wouldn't be a fan and wouldn't spend a dollar on it.
Gaming is why there are higher speeds available.High volume multi player matches,plus system relays need to be quick or else you get lag.And no one likes lag. Very Happy As well as streaming vids,mass legal trading,businesses rely on a faster connections with their customers and partners.Downloading Blu-ray discs are just a bonus.

You are right on the uploads.They cut one down,ten more get back up.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
At least it's a strong message to those fansubbers who post to sites like crunchyroll and veoh.and i do hope that download ban becomes law,and hope the piracy laws there become law here in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
At least it's a strong message to those fansubbers who post to sites like crunchyroll and veoh.and i do hope that download ban becomes law,and hope the piracy laws there become law here in the US.

Just FYI, almost no fansubbers post their stuff on crunchyroll or veoh.
In fact, almost all fansubbers are quite opposed to those sites that end up profiting from their fansubs.
The people who upload to those sites are just downloaders or people who get fame from taking things they downloaded using torrents and uploading to those sites. All they do is take things they downloaded through other means and upload them to those sites.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

In fact, almost all fansubbers are quite opposed to those sites that end up profiting from their fansubs.
The people who upload to those sites are just downloaders or people who get fame from taking things they downloaded using torrents and uploading to those sites. All they do is take things they downloaded through other means and upload them to those sites.
There's just no honour amongst thieves these days.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
i I don't know anyone that can afford to waste $20 on 4 episodes of anime. If I couldn't download anime for free, I wouldn't be a fan and wouldn't spend a dollar on it.

o_o; so $20 is expensive, and it is a waste? Even the sale for a boxed set, $30 for all 26 episodes or so?

2 hours is standard, it costs about $20-$30 for an American DVD, Movie or otherwise. *sigh.*

Think of what you just said, you're kind of contradicting yourself.

I didn't have to download anime for free to make myself a fan. I paid for cable and saw it on TV. It in definitely wasn't free, I may not have paid for it myself when I was a kid, but my parents did.

-__-; uuuuggghhh *rolls to the side.* I should quit while I'm ahead...I'll just get another migrane here.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

There's just no honour amongst thieves these days.

Here's a fun fact: Do you know which US company has the most requests for removals from youtube of any R1 based anime corporation?

It's Dattebayo LLC (the fansub group for naruto). They place number 5 in terms of companies. Viz is number 25, with 1/4 of the number of takedown requests.
So be glad that fansub groups are doing their best to stop illegal distribution of their own fansubs Wink
souce: http://youtomb.mit.edu/statistics
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and i do hope that download ban becomes law,and hope the piracy laws there become law here in the US.

To the best of my knowledge, it is already illegal in the U.S. to post or download copyrighted material, though I'm not sure if it's a criminal offense or strictly a civil matter. The real question is whether it's economically feasible to enforce the law with any regularity. I'm sure the FBI (or whatever agency enforces copyright law) would need a huge increase in its budget to go after even 50% of the people who have illegally downloaded a movie, anime episode, music file, etc. in the past few years. Even targeting just the uploaders is probably beyond its ability at the moment.

What should be a concern is moves like ACTA, which if signed (apparently without any legislative checks), could take a pretty big bite out of online privacy rights. Enforcement is fine, in my opinion, but agencies here need to operate within the bounds of the U.S. Constitution.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
i gotta ask this question. why would anyone need broadband internet if not for illegal downloading? Everyone would still use dial up if we were only checking email and reading a few websites.

How about how fricken long sites take to load? I just got rid of my dial-up 2 months ago. Everyone these days (including this site) has bangs & whistles that take SOOO DAMNED LONG on dialup. I couldn't even use my online banking because their site has a time out that exceeded AOL's ability to load the page
It is so nice to get a page to load in less than 5 minutes.
So it's not JUST illegal downloading.

maxxjulie wrote:

one guy goes to jail for uploading, then 5 new guys pop up to take his place and then some. it's futile.

THat hasn't stopped cops from passing out speeding tickets or busting drug users.
Where do they stop?
People are going to kill. It's been proven the Death Penalty isn't a deterrent & nor does locking killers up for life, so just let them all go? Why have ANY cops? Crime is going to be committed anyway?
It's futile, isn't it?
A good portion of the convicted felons I supervise whine how they're not doing anything wrong. Stole a guitar. Did drugs. Seriously injured someone driving under the influence. They aren't bad people! They aren't murderers!
But that's human nature. Whatever one is doing wrong, they often soothe their conscience with "I'm not raping babies" or whatever. There's always someone worse out there that makes them look like Bambi.

maxxjulie wrote:

the only animes I buy are ones I've downloaded and liked. It's always cheap collections too. Not the initial expensive box set. I bought every Naruto box set released so far thanks to fansubs. I don't know anyone that can afford to waste $20 on 4 episodes of anime. If I couldn't download anime for free, I wouldn't be a fan and wouldn't spend a dollar on it.

That's you. I'm also gambling you're young & thus less experienced/haven't seen the impact of people laid off work thru no fault of their own.
I think it's insane to pay $4 for a cup of coffee or a beer in a bar. My co-workers, when we go out to celebrate as a work group, think nothing of having a beer or 2 (since we schedule them at the end of the workday). I pick my teen up from work & she's sucking on a Starbuck's Frappacino & know cost $5 or so.

I say $20 for 4 eps I can watch again & again & again & again is a much better buy than a 6-pack of beer that's gone once it's consumed.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, it is already illegal in the U.S. to post or download copyrighted material, though I'm not sure if it's a criminal offense or strictly a civil matter. The real question is whether it's economically feasible to enforce the law with any regularity. I'm sure the FBI (or whatever agency enforces copyright law) would need a huge increase in its budget to go after even 50% of the people who have illegally downloaded a movie, anime episode, music file, etc. in the past few years. Even targeting just the uploaders is probably beyond its ability at the moment.

They look at manhours vs results so they seem to prefer busting manufacturers/bootleggers. There's no glory busting some 35 yr ol geek with 1000 bootlegs in his basement room at mom's house. I'm always seeing "thousand bounds of cocaine with a street value of $XXX" or "truckload of marijuana wiht a street value of $XXX) on the news. Cops bust users all the time-it mostly isn't newsworthy & the FBI busting 1 downloader isn't newsworthy or a good use of manhours unless that person is part of a group & they can bust the group. The focus also seems to be Hollywood since the FBI deals with domestic issues. Anime is foreign. Less interesting for their designated purpose.
So the biggest issue right now is cops have more than enough to do battling crime so they don't have the time or skills to capture downloaders & the FBI has bigger fish to fry. Our computer crime unit came out & talked to us about 3 yrs ago about how difficult it was to convince judges to get harsh on computer crime because the judges just didn't see it as an issue even though identity theft was a growing issue.

Quote:
Here's a fun fact: Do you know which US company has the most requests for removals from youtube of any R1 based anime corporation?

It's Dattebayo LLC (the fansub group for naruto). They place number 5 in terms of companies. Viz is number 25, with 1/4 of the number of takedown requests.
So be glad that fansub groups are doing their best to stop illegal distribution of their own fansubs
souce: http://youtomb.mit.edu/statistics

Wow.
Somehow this reminds me of the stories one hears of someone reporting their drugs stolen to the cops (last I heard was out of Utah where some potheads reported their pot stolen. THe cops arrested the person who stole it & then the "victims" when they showed up to claim their merchandise)
So Dattebayo is illegally subbing stuff & their illegal product is getting posted around the internet, so they're protecting their "drugs" by insisting on the stuff being taken down by the "cops" at various websites.

Quote:
Zac wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Good to see you can still get away with murder in Japan but file-sharing'll get you murphed out.

Hm yes this is a very intelligent observation.

I can sympathise with he's stance with that, seeing as the Japanese police still haven't captured the suspect what killed that British English teacher last year. So for her family he has a valid point.

There are "cold case" files all over the world. Cops need clues. Resources are scarce. Why should they keep a case open utilizing valuable resources when there are 20 new crimes to pursue every day? Sad reality it there are more criminals than cops. From watching a lot of those "cold case files" shows, I can say the law emforcement involved does seem to get satisfaction from solving "cold cases", but 10-20 yrs DO sometimes lapse before someone's conscience gets the better of them, or they let slip a story, or the serial killer is finally caught & confesses his crimes or the crime can be linked to the killer. We had a case where a 9 yr old went out to ride her bike one afternoon, but by the time she was to return to go to a school even that evening, she was gone. Yrs later the killer's conscience got the better of him & he confessed &, even though he was an adult at that time, he was a teen when he killed the girl so he was tried as a juvenile (since this was also before the teens tried as adults laws kicked in).

So it's hard for all the families, but the law can only do so much. It all comes down to budget & resources being utilized to best benefit the community.
Of course after seeing those articles a few months back about the number of people that seem to get hacked up & flushed down the toilet in Japan, their enforcement sounds very lacking.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

So it's hard for all the families, but the law can only do so much. It all comes down to budget & resources being utilized to best benefit the community.
Of course after seeing those articles a few months back about the number of people that seem to get hacked up & flushed down the toilet in Japan, their enforcement sounds very lacking.

I blame the awesome toilets in Japan for that. No way you're able to flush a body down some weak-ass low flow "American Standard".
Toto is the _only_ choice when it comes to disposing murder victims.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
maxxjulie wrote:
i I don't know anyone that can afford to waste $20 on 4 episodes of anime. If I couldn't download anime for free, I wouldn't be a fan and wouldn't spend a dollar on it.

o_o; so $20 is expensive, and it is a waste? Even the sale for a boxed set, $30 for all 26 episodes or so?

2 hours is standard, it costs about $20-$30 for an American DVD, Movie or otherwise. *sigh.*

Think of what you just said, you're kind of contradicting yourself.

I didn't have to download anime for free to make myself a fan. I paid for cable and saw it on TV. It in definitely wasn't free, I may not have paid for it myself when I was a kid, but my parents did.

-__-; uuuuggghhh *rolls to the side.* I should quit while I'm ahead...I'll just get another migrane here.

I didn't contradict myself. I never said I buy movies for $20 a pop. I do sometimes, but only if I really love a movie and will rewatch it many times. I don't get people that go to bestbuy on a Friday night and buy movies that they have no idea they'll like. What a waste of money. I only buy anime's I've watched for free first and I know I like. Then I wait for a cheap collection to come out for $30-$40 online. Anything more is a ripoff. $20 for a movie is a ripoff. Who rewatches movies often enough to warrant spending $20 on a dvd anyway? Most movies aren't even worth $20 unless is something great like No Country For Old Men or Iron Man. There's maybe 5 movies that come out every year that are worth buying at $20 each. Let's see $20 times 6 is $120 for an entire anime series. Yeah, I wonder why the anime business is down the toilet. Cause most fans can't afford to buy it and fansubs are good enough quality. If "the man" ever comes up with a way to really crack down on downloading then I'll be forced to Netflix anime. How's that going to help sales. I'm guessing most others would do the same thing. Either that or give up on anime completely and go to the library.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I just realized a few things.

1) Being that it may, your statement is definitely not a valid fact. And many people CAN afford anime, they just choose to do it elsewhere, just like you. Your justification for that is something it's not worth getting into an argument to, since it really is not a valid (nor good) argument for downloading anime. But once again, that is my opinion. I would rather take it in a PM to discuss it any further.

2) You're throwing this off from its original topic. >_> I don't even know where fansubs came up in the first place...

*blinks.* well, it keeps fluctuating, anyway. Guilty man is guilty, I don't care; he'll do his time, may get off early for good behavior, who knows. P
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I think going down that particular road is the wrong way to go. You cannot convince someone against their will. If they only value anime enough to purchase box sets and things they really want to rewatch, that's their criteria. You aren't going to change that. And I honestly think it's not beneficial to try to force them to do differently either.

In all honesty, I question whether one can say that media as a whole makes so little that it cannot function at reasonable levels. If it can function, and the people are paid fairly at this point, why add new laws to change things? That only ends up taking money from something else. It's not like new money is allocated to the economic system as a whole due to those kinds of changes.

The intention of copyright and laws of this nature is to enforce some kind of equality. I think we totally lose track of the purpose when we choose to think of these laws as absolute principles that should exist for all time. Copyright is only as valuable as it is useful and fair, IMO. I don't think it's either, but I don't think purchasing nothing and downloading everything is fair either. Sadly I don't think a perfect system exists or may even be possible. Therefore I think a system which does it's best while sacrificing as little freedom as possible is more advantageous than something that attempts to be more protective, fails, and causes a lot of potential privacy problems.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

I blame the awesome toilets in Japan for that. No way you're able to flush a body down some weak-ass low flow "American Standard".
Toto is the _only_ choice when it comes to disposing murder victims.

I was thinking more don't they ever check what's floating in the sewers? I've seen my share of cold case files shows where they find floating body parts & figure out someone has been murdered. (Sewer worker 1: Is that someone's leg? Sewer worker 2: Naw, it's just a dog's). Don't ask/Don't tell?

This thread isn't really about downloading. It is about a guy who was uploading getting nailed for it. Downloading is the 2nd half of the equation which, if the uploading is reduced would logically also be reduced. Making uploading illegal is sort of a wishy-washy way to try to please 2 masters. Downloaders/voters aren't getting thrown in jail, but the politicians can say, hey, we're protecting studio rights making uploading illegal.
The middle of the road is a good place to get splattered
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4