• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, BONES Anime on PlayStation Video Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'd love to support the series and studio bones since I have most of there other shows but I'll have to wait for fansubs on this one. Or I'll just buy the dvds when they come out...if they come out. This news is a real bummer as I am really looking forward to this series. Should have bought a ps3. Sad Or I'll just buy the dvds when they come out...if they come out

Last edited by GeneralArrow on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episodes are going to be $1.99 each (for keeps, not a rental), I believe. The videos that have a higher price are movie rentals.

edit: Scratch that...you were right. Yikes...it comes out to about 4 bucks for the HD version and it's only a rental!! Kinda sucks. Hopefully they change that, but I'm watching it anyway. I wasn't expecting to see that show for months, and today it magically comes out of nowhere right on my lap. It's worth the price I say, but I'm sure many people will dislike the pricing.
I guess the 1.99 applies to American TV shows...although I didn't check the prices for the Funimation episodes available.
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Lost_Toys wrote:
I am looking at the PSN right now, and it is $3.99 for the HD Rental, $2.99 for the SD Rental.

I will wait for fansubs.

same but at E3 microsoft announced that free netflex dvd streaming on all xbox 360 gold accounts so i would guess anime is included(hoping)
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
kona-chan13 wrote:

same but at E3 microsoft announced that free netflex dvd streaming on all xbox 360 gold accounts so i would guess anime is included(hoping)

It isn't DVD streaming.

It is streaming of the movie/tv Netflix has on their website under the "Watch Instantly" section.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
4$ for an HD RENTAL?!! No way. I'll stick to fansubs, thank you very much. If it was for keeps, maybe, but for renting, not worth it. What is wrong with these people? Don't they get it? You are competing with FREE stuff, at least show some brains in your project. A payin g customer only has the episode for 24 hours, while someone who got it for free has it forever. How the hell is that good marketing?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know what is/will be available in what regions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
Looks like it's appeared in the US version of the store. And every other English speaking country has once again been screwed over.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Not really surprising to see R1 anime companies limiting legal downloads to the U.S. (and sometimes Canada). Worldwide rights would be more exensive. I'll stick to anime on TV and importing DVDs, expensive as that is.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
kona-chan13 wrote:

You may already know this, but just to be clear, you still need a normal Netflix account to be able to do this.

Last edited by Zoe on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
prince leon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to watching this and supporting BONES on their endeavor. Very Happy
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Sadly, if those are rental prices, I won't be using this service (and my poor PS3 will continue to sit there, gathering dust). Guess I'll have to wait for the Xam'd (?) R1 DVDs. Sad
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
This is another major new step for digital distribution, first Gonzo now Bones. Fantastic!

I wonder if the whole 'rental' idea is the way to go. Unless Bones make the physical product - DVD/BD - readily available everywhere the rental episode is available... and for a reasonable price (maybe with money off for people who rented)... then maybe this will work out really well. I just don't see someone paying like $4 an episode for 13(?) episode just to have it deleted when the rental time is up.

As for Funimation stuff, this is great and I can just hope they get the rights to release their products on Blu-ray ASAP - like Gen mentioned on an interview. I do wonder why they can't release HD content on digital distribution though. There are so many different parts of a license, it's mad!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
I don't see what everyone's deal is. People keep on complaining about the $4 rental price. What's wrong with you guys? $4 is a typical rental price that I always pay to rent movies and now suddenly that's asking too much? For me the real turn off isn't the price, but the rental period. I typically pay around $4 to rent a movie from hollywood video for a period of about 5 days, the rentals on the PS3 apparently only last 24hrs or after you watched or you have 14 days prior to watching before it disappears (which essence amounts to the same thing). I think they ought to extend the rental period or lower the price if they decide to stick with 24 hours.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I don't see what everyone's deal is. People keep on complaining about the $4 rental price. What's wrong with you guys? $4 is a typical rental price that I always pay to rent movies and now suddenly that's asking too much? For me the real turn off isn't the price, but the rental period. I typically pay around $4 to rent a movie from hollywood video for a period of about 5 days, the rentals on the PS3 apparently only last 24hrs or after you watched or you have 14 days prior to watching before it disappears (which essence amounts to the same thing). I think they ought to extend the rental period or lower the price if they decide to stick with 24 hours.

A movie is a good 120 minutes of entertainment. This is a 22 minute anime episode. It's that simple.

Would you pay the same amount for a single as you would a full album?
fausti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

A movie is a good 120 minutes of entertainment. This is a 22 minute anime episode. It's that simple.

Would you pay the same amount for a single as you would a full album?

In this case, you're paying for exclusivity. This isn't available yet anywhere else. This is probably why this is more expensive (and is rental only) than the Funimation shows which are "to buy" and are $1.99 an episode like the US shows.

Although I'll agree that the price and rental period isn't great, hopefully this will change over time as they tweak things. This stuff has barely been up a day after all. Hopefully, enough fans will write in to criticize the rental period and pricing so they can line them up better with the rest of the market.

Btw, Xam'd rocks pretty hard so far. Watched the first episode three times. Gorgeous animation in HD, beautiful music, character designs and intriguing plot that mixes elements from shows like Laputa, Nausicaa, Last Exile, Guyver into quite a frothy and fun mix. If the show holds up as well as this first episode, we got a winner here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4