• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, BONES Anime on PlayStation Video Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
fausti wrote:
samuelp wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
I don't see what everyone's deal is. People keep on complaining about the $4 rental price. What's wrong with you guys? $4 is a typical rental price that I always pay to rent movies and now suddenly that's asking too much? For me the real turn off isn't the price, but the rental period. I typically pay around $4 to rent a movie from hollywood video for a period of about 5 days, the rentals on the PS3 apparently only last 24hrs or after you watched or you have 14 days prior to watching before it disappears (which essence amounts to the same thing). I think they ought to extend the rental period or lower the price if they decide to stick with 24 hours.

A movie is a good 120 minutes of entertainment. This is a 22 minute anime episode. It's that simple.

Would you pay the same amount for a single as you would a full album?

In this case, you're paying for exclusivity. This isn't available yet anywhere else. This is probably why this is more expensive (and is rental only) than the Funimation shows which are "to buy" and are $1.99 an episode like the US shows.

Well, you've convinced me. Oh wait, I live in Tokyo, so I can't purchase it. Do'h.

Normally I don't pay twice as much for exclusivity, and exclusivity pricing only works when there's significant demand and you're in a market with little competition. E.g. I might be the only person on the street that sells Coke, but I still can't charge twice as much for a soda if everyone else on the street sells pepsi.
They might have this anime exclusively for now, but it's still competing with everything else on the PSN service.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
When I heard Funimation put the anime on Playstation Network video store, I was kind of excited. So I went over to Funimation's youtube profile.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation (you can leave your thank you on their profile if you have a youtube account)

I went to the Playstation store via PC. I saw what kind of anime they put on there. I saw Trinity Blood, Samurai 7, Kiddy Grade, Basilisk, and other great anime. I thinkj Funimation should try putting these anime subbed also just for the sub lovers like me.

I would love Funimation to put these anime on PSN store both dubbed and subbed (if possible, put a HD one also):

Negima
One Piece uncut
Dragonball Z uncut
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing
Ouran High School Host Club (try putting those before releasing it on DVD)
Fruit Basket (I heard the PSP is not getting enough appeal to girls, maybe Funi can change their mind)
School Rumble
Rumbling Hearts
Degrassi: The next Generation (not a anime, but something from funimation to reach teen audiences)

It's a only a matter of time before ADV, Viz Media, Bandai, Manga Entertainment, Media Blaster, and Right Stuf will ask Sony to put their anime (which is kind of cool and I don't mind) on PSN store. So we got both Itune, directnload, and PSN video Store as digital distributors of anime. How can buying anime be so good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait for the fansubs to watch this new show. Like I said, these prices and retal periods are BS. I can pay and only have it for 24 hours, or I can get it for free and have it forever. Not much of a choice if you ask me
Jetto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to at least download the first episode...I need something to do on my ps3 since I have finished metal gear. ><
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
I'm going to at least download the first episode...I need something to do on my ps3 since I have finished metal gear. ><

PSN games have been keeping me busy for the past year.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Looks like anyone outside the US is stuck with piracy, as usual. According to Crunchyroll, only 36% of their viewers are from the US, so even assuming that every potential viewer of Xamdou owns a PS3 and is willing to pay exorbitant amounts for an incredibly short rental period, Sony are still only hitting a third of the possible audience at most.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yep, looks like the PS Video Service doesn't even exist in Canada. And I was actually considering paying the obscene price to rent that first episode of Xam'd, too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I just downloaded a PSP rip which I guess originally came from the store. Not gonna say where, and quality is kinda lacking on it. Oh well, 4 dollars for a rental deserves to be stolen.

I like it thus far, kinda has that Eureka 7 feel, along with some Miyazaki elements and Escaflowne.

Though for the other shows, I do like the $1.99 for keeps, as that stays within the two dollar rule.
WhtHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
... I thinkj Funimation should try putting these anime subbed also just for the sub lovers like me. ...

I wouldn't plan on that any time soon. Funimation is doing dub only for their other digital distribution outlets at the moment. I doubt they'll spend the time to prepare even more copies just for the PS Video Store unless it proves to be quite popular.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
WhtHawk wrote:
I doubt they'll spend the time to prepare even more copies just for the PS Video Store unless it proves to be quite popular.

Except being popular with only dubs just proves to them that they don't need the subs Sad
Nomeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Though I may not be able to afford all of them, I'm renting this episode at least. (I've got enough for all of them I suppose, but eh supposing it's a 26 ep series, I'm not paying over $110 to see all of it, sorry (tax included).) I'm waiting for it to finish now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just downloaded a PSP rip which I guess originally came from the store. Not gonna say where, and quality is kinda lacking on it. Oh well, 4 dollars for a rental deserves to be stolen.

You know, this is basically "I stole licensed property". This is you coming here to brag about having downloaded an Xbox game or watching a camrip. Sony made it available legally and you made up some arbitrary rules that in your mind make it OK to steal it.

Nobody cares what your personal rules are. You may as well be downloading DVD rips. Enjoy your ban.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
2 fanservice-heavy episodes of Burst Angel are not on the service :X

16 (that's the swimsuit one, right?) and 23.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
2 fanservice-heavy episodes of Burst Angel are not on the service :X

16 (that's the swimsuit one, right?) and 23.

Hmm, I was wondering why certain episodes seemed not to be on PSN... is there any more evidence of them removing episodes because of content or is this just a fluke?

For all we know that episode of xam'd is heavily edited and you'll have to pay for the blu-ray to see the "uncut" version. Here's hoping that Sony isn't foolish enough to try and set some kind of arbitrary standards for anime when letting you rent R rated movies on the same service.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Looks like anyone outside the US is stuck with piracy, as usual. According to Crunchyroll, only 36% of their viewers are from the US, so even assuming that every potential viewer of Xamdou owns a PS3 and is willing to pay exorbitant amounts for an incredibly short rental period, Sony are still only hitting a third of the possible audience at most.
I am not disagreeing that Sony's audience in this is rather small (in fact, we know it has a max of 5 million), but this is a grotesque manipulation of statistics for various reasons. The easiest explanation is they may have 36%, but that doesn't mean that, say ANN, has a 36% US audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4