• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, BONES Anime on PlayStation Video Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
grotesque manipulation of statistics

Laughing

If one takes a look at a certain anime forum that cannot, must not, and shall not be named with a ... dunno ... at least 10-20 times higher posting rate than this one then 36 percent looks like a resonable number there too, maybe a little high.

This here is not a global, it's a regional forum directed at US nationals as Mr. Zac
Quote:
... licensed property ... Sony made it available legally ...

just proved so nicely. No wonder that the number of US citizens here is higher than average. Probably not as high as you might think though, Americans (and of all the nations on this planet only them) always tend to assume that all the people on the internet are Americans too as long as you don't rub in the truth.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
It ain't worth the price. Of course, no show is worth $4 for a rental. This is the "TV version" no less right?

If it was download to own, you might have a nice deal. At least FUNi has the right idea.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone actually watched the first episode of Xamdou yet? This is Sony we're dealing with. Some of you may recall the HORRIBLE subtitles on their past releases...Appleseed and Advent Children anyone?

The fact that the price is high or low is meaningless when it's only rental AND the fact that from what I understand that the subs are really bad. Now if it was Bandai or Funimation...I know I'm getting good subtitles.

SCREW Sony! They do pi$$ poor jobs on their english subs AND they screwed us over on Cyborg 009. That was the last straw for me.

I don't mind giving my money to BONES due to the greatness that is Eureka Seven but I will not spend a dime on this untill I get a good look at a DVD relaese or other "familiar methods" of watching anime in english.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Now how do you know that the subtitles are bad? Have you seen this?

For all you know, the subtitles could be good, the video great and the music great. This could be a jewel in BONES crown which could also be the reason for all the complaining. You know "Great title. No access. Shitty price."

This product could have been Sony's answer to mom's best apple pie. This could have been a huge hit but alas Sony dropped the ball again.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Onikuno wrote:
Has anyone actually watched the first episode of Xamdou yet? This is Sony we're dealing with. Some of you may recall the HORRIBLE subtitles on their past releases...Appleseed and Advent Children anyone?

I just watched it about an hour ago. Seemed fine for the most part. Maybe a few things could have been worded a bit better but nothing really stood out as being poor.

I'm not fond of paying $4 per episode, over $100 for a series I won't own and will have to pay for again when the DVDs or BluRay's come out, but I think I'm going to have to just ignore how much I'm actually spending because I like watching it on my HDTV too much to bother with the rips and I don't want to wait for the DVDs/BRs.
Onikuno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I have watched it, and the subs are really bad. Just as bad as Advent Children and Appleseed. Specifically...lazy is the best way to describe the translation. This is being done by a mega corporation that doesn't care. I'm not talking about romanizing a characters name wrong or no use of suffixes or any minute crap like that. I'm talking about ignoring entire sentences at times. This is just plain inexcusable. I want my $4 back.

One can pray that when the DVD release becomes available that this gets fixed but when you look at the history of past products I wouldn't hold your breath.
Nomeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: well, nevermind, it just now expired. It must give some kind oh 1 hour buffer time or something, I dont know, or it didn't count daylight savings time into my expiration time, anyhow, it seems what I did didn't change anything as it expired at 10:23.

What I posted below is irrelevent, but I'll keep it so people know what I'm talking about.

I have interesting news. I rented Xam'd ep 1 yesterday, and it just expired. This is my first rental, but I tested something and have some interesting results.

I changed the date on my ps3 from 7-17 to 7-10 earlier, and so far, 22 minutes after it was supposed to expire, I can still watch it. I'm sure this will be fixed in the future, but hey, longer rental, not the worst thing.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I just downloaded a PSP rip which I guess originally came from the store. Not gonna say where, and quality is kinda lacking on it. Oh well, 4 dollars for a rental deserves to be stolen.

You know, this is basically "I stole licensed property". This is you coming here to brag about having downloaded an Xbox game or watching a camrip. Sony made it available legally and you made up some arbitrary rules that in your mind make it OK to steal it.

Nobody cares what your personal rules are. You may as well be downloading DVD rips. Enjoy your ban.

Zac, I know realize why you are so disgusted with our fandom.

/Facepalm
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong with the subs. They went more for intent rather than a 1:1 translation.

Almost makes me wonder if these are dubtitles though.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
I hope they end up having HD content purchasable at their store since I believe everything under HD is currently up for rent only.

I don't know what is up with the missing episodes, but Lost in Space is missing a half dozen episodes from it's first season and I can't see how that content would be controversial. The funniest is that 24 season 2 only has 23 episodes. I hope it is just a case of them getting them all uploaded, and don't think it's a big deal if the rest of the series eventually appears. On the other hand it would be annoying if these episodes (Myth Buster season four and five also are missing a few episodes) never appear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4