• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Feigned Frustration XIII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
People shouldn't be mad at Sony for losing exclusivity. Or, should they?

SquEnix probably told Sony,"Ok, we'll stay exclusive to the PS3 if you guys cough up XXXmillion dollars. Otherwise, we're going bi-platform."

Should Sony have paid for exclusivity, like Microsoft has in past occasions? Or not?

Of course there is the possibility that Microsoft offered a big fat check to SquEnix so that they would port the game. If that was the case, Sony would've had to make a bigger counter offer.

It'll be interesting to see what information surfaces.

On another note: Palom and Porum! They were the reason I cried over a video game for the first and second time ever. The first was tears of sadness. The second, tears of joy. Smile
p3rseus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
My main concern with the loss of the PS3 exclusive release of FFXIII was if they tried to develop both simultaneously in order to meet whatever deadline they have set for themselves, which could have ended up causing a drop in the final quality of both versions. But if they plan to finish the PS3 version first, then start work on the port, then I have no problems... besides that now I have to decide between console loyalty to Sony or achievement points... damn you Sony for not having Accomplishment Scores™. Sad

Actually the game was based on the PC making a port to the 360 quite effortless, so they can simply focus on the game itself, making each version should be simple enough. What I don't understand is why they wouldn't release the 360 version on Japan. The xbox360 already has more rpgs like Lost Odyssey and now Star Ocean and Infinite Undiscovery, FFXIII is a welcome addition, hope they lower the price though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
I always thought exclusives were stupid anyway. They are never a good thing for consumers, it's totally a business thing. Let people choose what they want to buy on the merits of the hardware.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Well I am happy that after almost two decades, seventeen years Final Fantasy IV is finally being re-releashed.

However, I am not really a fan of 3D, so I might either rent this game someday or simply not play the game. Don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the Super Nintendo version, but I've never really been found of 3D.

Also, I am glad Square Enix is able to make some more business. In this bad economy, any honest business is good business.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
They were plenty of shooters during the 90s, but most were in the arcades only (for the US) and a Japanese home release only. On the Saturn you can find a bunch of shooters (Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Tecnosoft's Hyper Duel, etc), same for the PS1 (DoDonPachi, Raystorm, Square's Einhander, Gradius Gaiden, etc.). Games like Einhander and Raystorm did came out in the US. Thunder Force IV is the best 16-bit shooter in my opinion. It has the music, the graphics, the gameplay, and etc. A real system pusher on the Genesis back in the day. Thunder Force V was good but not great compare to IV. Still has the great music, but the gameplay falls short (you can blame it on the Free Range weapon. Get all the claws and overdrive the weapon during the boss battles and you'll find bosses dying in a few seconds).

Tell you the truth I'm worried about TFVI, Sega is rehashing stuff from the pass with noting new. I hope Hyakutaro Tsukumo is doing the music in TFVI. One of my favorite music composers.
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well I am happy that after almost two decades, seventeen years Final Fantasy IV is finally being re-releashed.

They re-released it a few years ago for GameBoy Advance as a direct port, as well as before that on the PS1 as a combo with Chrono Trigger.
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
Whoa whoa whoa. Izuna, mildly challenging?

Seriously, did you play past the second dungeon? That game is one of the most brutal monsters out there, and that's not even dwelling on the post-game bonus dungeon.

Still fun as all hell, though. And yay FF13!
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I always thought exclusives were stupid anyway. They are never a good thing for consumers, it's totally a business thing. Let people choose what they want to buy on the merits of the hardware.

Exclusives allow developers to push the hardware to the limits. That is a good thing for the consumer.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
yep, im kinda pissed that FFXIII will be out for the xbox 360..........also exclusives also not only push the hardware to the limit but they help the sells of that console

seriously how good would the FF series be if they were for both SNES and Sega genesis??
ilkz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
I hope the TF6 got US release sometime in the future, I really don't know how likely that going to happen. 2D shooter fan are probability the most marginalized gamers in the industry.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Ceredonia wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

They re-released it a few years ago for GameBoy Advance as a direct port, as well as before that on the PS1 as a combo with Chrono Trigger.

Ah, that is right, I had forgotten about that. Since I remember most of the game, I most likely will rent this game one of these days.

I do however look forward to September and December. Dragon Quest IV and Chrono Trigger come out.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Welll, I'm for 'FFIV DS' (which I preordered awhile back). So I gotta finish up some games first before I spend the rest of my summer working on this. 'FFIV' was my first 'FF' RPG when it was first released on the SNES as 'FFII'. Every year I find a new found love for that installment despite 'FFVI/FFIII' being my all time favorite on the SNES. I already completed the GBA version so I'm looking forward to tackling the (definitive) remake. I plan on tackling the import as well.

That title 'Game Center CX' looks like an interesting game. Will have to give that a look. But if the references are related to games never released here then that could be a problem translating it for U.S audiences. But I'll keep my eye on it.

Jungle Emperor Leo game? Wow! Talk about obscure. Didn't know something like this existed. I do remember the 'Astro Boy' game.

Another cool column.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
I could care less about Final Fantasy. So more people can play the game who otherwise couldn't. I don't see anything wrong with that. Square doesn't owe PS3 owners anything.

However, I am getting worried about Soul Calibur 4. This new guy is supposed to be the physically strongest character in the lineup. That worries me. Astaroth can already decimate an opponent in as little as four or five hits. If this guy can take you down in three attacks, then I fear for the balance of this game, and wonder if Namco has caught Brawl fever (throwing as many characters into the mix as possible).
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
FF IV and FF XIII are to of the games Iwant. But, I don't get why people keep getting all upset about the PS3 losing exclusivity. There possibly could be a slight delay, but, wouldn't you rather have it where you can share the joys of Final Fantasy with more people? I would'nt be able to play it if it wasn't coming to 360. So I' am glad. Though, I may choose the PS3 version if I somehow get a PS3.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
I like how games are now being sold on different platforms. Companies can make more money and customers can buy it on whichever system they prefer. After all, who would want to pay $500 to get a new system just for one game? I think it's ridicules how Square is doing Xbox 360 exclusives since the Xbox 360 is only selling well in North America; Japan and Europe buy more Playstation 3s and Wiis. Plus, who buys a 360 for Japanese RPGs? (Well, I guess now but two years ago) Their niche are Halo games and sports ones, not pretty bishis and anime girls fighting bad guys. I'm really upset Star Ocean 4 is on the Xbox since I became a fan of the series when I played the second game on the Playstation. I'm willing to buy a PS3 (all movies are going to become blu-ray and I love my PS2) but as much as I love Star Ocean, (I'm even buying a PSP just for their remakes) I will not buy a 360 for one game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5