• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ithiel Arcadion wrote:
No one found Shingeki no Kyojin post-worthy?

It runs in a really small magazine (60.000 cirulation), and it doesn't even have an anime to advertise. Still it's already knocking at the top ten.

Nobody has even written a summary for it on the encyclopedia entry here on ANN. I know absolutely nothing about it. I see it's the manga-ka's first major published work and from what you said, that is quite amazing that it is one of the top selling manga in Japan given the relatively small circulation of the magazine it is published in.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ithiel Arcadion wrote:
No one found Shingeki no Kyojin post-worthy?

It runs in a really small magazine (60.000 cirulation), and it doesn't even have an anime to advertise. Still it's already knocking at the top ten.

Nobody has even written a summary for it on the encyclopedia entry here on ANN. I know absolutely nothing about it. I see it's the manga-ka's first major published work and from what you said, that is quite amazing that it is one of the top selling manga in Japan given the relatively small circulation of the magazine it is published in.

Shingeki no Kyojin is awesome. Its popularity exploded when the third volume hit the shelves. It was mostly mouth to mouth propaganda like: “have you read this Manga?” and “you must read it” etc. The salesman also gave it as a read advice. After the popularity gained a momentum it was advertised as the new Berserk even though it is shonen(a brutal one).
The story behind it is also amusing. The author went first to shonen jump with it but they said to him he must change it to fit more in with the “jump” style. He said *piep* you and went to the competition, got serialized with the piece that got rejected by shonen jump and it became a hit. Oh the editor must bite his ass.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@enurtsol:
Avatar's popularity is expalined by these reasons:
1.- 3D *Wasn't it the first movie?*
2.- Director.. BIG NAME DIRECTOR.
3.- It came in a time of recession, supposedly when recession hits entertainment is seek as a way to escape the harsh reality.

But a lot of movies are like that, but they don't come close to $1 billion, let alone $2.7 billion that Avatar did. Also remember, only $700 million of that came from the U.S., so even if we take out the U.S., it's still a $2 billion movie. So much of Avatar's gross is provided by the bulk of the rest of the world. So how does the rest of the world explain that, like China ($182 million)? Laughing
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Damn that is bad. I didn't realise it at first but apart from One Piece and Gintama all the other top ten selling manga series from the 2010 list had sales decline.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2010
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
I have a few questions for you.
Why isn’t Fairy Tail as popular as OP? I mean it is very similar to One Piece in many aspects. It is even more for the casual crowd with much shorter arcs etc. It is fairly popular and did made the third spot on the list but lost 1 million sales and it is nowhere near OP sales.

Well for one, Fairy Tail isn't really anywhere near as 'goofy' or 'dumb' as the formula Dragonball or One Piece use. For example, Luffy is more of a complete idiot akin to Goku, while Natsu is more normal like, say, Naruto, or another 'hotheaded, kinda cool' protagonist. Goku and Luffy would both try to eat rocks if you told them to. As I said, One Piece apes the formula the most out of all current shounen.

Also, Fairy Tail doesn't have as many years behind it as One Piece does. One Piece is at 64 volumes, while Fairy Tail is only at 29. The thing people forget is One Piece always wasn't this giant... actually it only started getting these numbers of sales around... 2009. In 2008, One Piece only sold about 5 million volumes. It jumped up to 14 million in 2009, and then 31 million in 2010. So it's not like One Piece was always this big or anything, it's a fairly recent thing. I think what a lot of people assert to it is the movie Strong World, which probably got the most mainstream-ity favor and introduced a lot of people to the series. So then they go back and buy all 60+ volumes of the manga, which give it a boost in sales. Not unlike when a big movie comes out here like say Watchmen, and then suddenly Watchmen tops the American comic charts from the casual movie-going crowd. Hense why the Wii analogy is so fitting, most of OP sales come from casual fans, because it's such a simple series to get into and it's not targeting the core anime/manga fans.

Quote:
Why are there so many diehard fans of OP(who also read a lot of other Manga) who think that OP is one of the best Manga ever created while MOST people who read Fairy Tail will tell you that it is only “average”.

Ah, that's getting more into fanbase categorizing which is always tricky and full of generalizations and not really any hard facts, so it's all conjecture and circumstantial and up to interpretation. While it's easy to generalize the whole fanbase as fanboys like MasterKingJC and others, I would personally hope those are just the vocal minority which stems from the same reason there's console fanboys. Most of them are little kids or teenagers with juvenile tenancies who want their own validation through some kind of silly superiority on what they play or watch. Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach have always been like that, to be fair, as with any medium that gets perceived as 'rivals' (console wars) If I had to make a guess (and I guess I do to answer the question) I might say it's because suddenly OP is big so the fans want to ride that train all the way to the bank, so to speak. "What? Of course it's popular, it's the best series ever, that's why I watch it" Like if you just won the lottery and want to flaunt it all over town and turn into a big jerk.

As someone who's been an anime fan for over 20 years, I can attest to at least the people I met over the years, that One Piece fans weren't always like this. Back before 2007 I knew a lot of humble ones who did the same thing you assert Fairy Tail fans of doing, merely calling the series 'good' to 'alright' to 'enjoyable, fun, turn your brain off and enjoy, it's not that special'. Also keep in mind anime and manga are one of the most vocal hobbies out there.. people can be so pessimistic and hating on anime despite they like it for some silly reason, as well as the opposite) I'd like to think most Fairy Tail fans (and anime fans in general) are too busy reading it to go trolling around message boards and starting arguments about it. People spend more time putting other series down than they do enjoying their own, for some silly reason. I mean, when you look at it, you have zerochitentoppakai, MasterKingJC, and maybe one or two others in this thread I don't remember or skimmed over (they're probably the most vocal) So let's say 5 people. 5 people in this whole forum. Not even a drop in the bucket, but since they're so vocal and rude about it, you notice them, so you assert that all One Piece fans are like that and make a generalization that a lot of people are like that. I'm a fan of One Piece, I suppose, but I myself would only call it 'okay'. Most average fans aren't going to be anywhere near as vocal as those people and stand out. It's all about perception.

Quote:
You can see here the publich opinion, which is kind of like rotten tomatoes for Manga:
http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php
Why are 9/10 of the readers over 18? I mean look at Kochikame. Kochikame it the oldest Manga which is still ongoing. It is like the Simpsons over there. Very loved by a lot of people, beause of its age read by mostly adults, meant for the causal crowd and yet you don’t see it on the TOP 50 list.

Kochikame is a long running gag series, so it's the same reason you won't see Doraemon, Shin-chan, Sazaesan, or similar "bigger than anything else in Japan, but unheard of in the US". Most US anime fans aren't into anime for those series, but the more "serious" stuff. Actually, the "unheard of" is a big factor. Look at how many differences there are in votes: Berserk is #1 with 22,555 votes, while the #2 only has 8,748 votes. You don't need to take a statistics class to see how terribly inaccurate and faulty that method is. Also, given it's an online poll, it can always be abused. This says nothing of simple things like most fans of a series don't frequent that site, so they don't vote, or maybe they do go there but just don't vote. If a community is so pro-A and so anti-B, then all the B fans go somewhere else, so obviously the votes for B will be reflective of that, as well as the A series votes. I made a thread about Sket Dance here and it more or less died after 4 posts. Meanwhile, other sites I go to have a lot of Sket Dance threads and we discuss it there. So if there was a poll here, Sket Dance would probably rank very low given most people here don't care about it, so you can easily twist things and use this site's poll as "See, look, no one likes Sket Dance" which is terribly inaccurate and not true at all if you look at it like that. Sites like Rotten Tomatos, Metacritic, and MAL are terribly flawed and grossly inaccurate, and I advise people never to use them as any kind of factual objectivity. Or really any site, to be brutally honest. Even sales data can be easily challenged. Like the 'the movie lures in people'. Since the west never really have that effect, you might even consider the west's sales a bit more accurate because there's not as many 'casuals' flocking towards it, so it's a better representation of the 'core' anime fanbase. Really you can twist and challenge a lot of stuff if you're creative enough.
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow One Piece did it again.

The series is up by 5 million from last year. 11 million of the sales comes from the recent volumes from 59 to 64. So 26 million came from the old volumes especially Volume 1 which make it to the top 50. Now that's impressive, One Piece really is something
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I enjoy Kubo's work and I always will..the man gets an undeserved bad rep among manga readers..this may be just me but your comment comes off a bit pretentious..opinions are opinions not undisputed facts or the truth..now you may want to tone down the melodramatic rant of yours..its simply manga and nothing more.

First off, you can enjoy anything you like. It doesn’t concern me in the least because it is none of my business but you said this:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
One Piece is a solid manga but its hardly the best in the storytelling department when it comes to Shonen manga that honor goes to Fullmetal Alchemist without a doubt a close second would be Bleach.

You didn’t state that as an opinion but as a fact. I don’t see any think/like what would suggest opinion but I see an “is”.
I have read a few interviews with Kubo and in some of them he openly admitted that he doesn’t plan anything. He admitted that when he “killed” Aizen he didn’t know who the big bad would be in that arc, he didn’t know that Ichigo would lose his powers even one(?) chapter before he did it etc. He supposedly (I could find you enough reasons why I don’t think he did) has planned(with his editor) the current Fullbring arc.
The above is not opinion or bad rep but actual things he said during interviews. I don’t keep track of them but I’m sure you can find them if you try.
So I’m asking you even if it were “opinion”. How could someone who doesn’t even plan arcs be compared in story telling terms to a man who plans his arcs, thinks several arcs ahead, foreshadows extremely, has the basic story in mind, has sketches of a lot of things that recently happened from one year before he begun serialization to proof it, is known as a god among his fans BECAUSE of his story telling ability?
By the way. In a forum or in a discussion you have to “justify” your opinions with arguments because only then can discussions happen.

One doesn't have to plan a story out for it to be well told that much should be quite apparent to you.. Akira Toriyama didn't plan half of what he wrote out for Dragonball..he indeed made it up week by week and I consider him to be shonen's greatest mangaka to ever live..its simply personal preference that I find Bleach vastly better in the storytelling department then One Piece..and no your reading far to much into the matter I never stated anything was a fact you just simply choose to read it that way..I'm rather bored with this discussion.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Wait, are we comparing manga with films? Shocked If so I would rather go to the cinema to watch Dark Knight or Inception rather than top-selling Avatar. Just because Avatar became a hit in the boxoffice, it doesn't mean it is everybody's favorite. I would try bringing examples with video games but there is more variety due to consoles' exclusive games.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Well for one, Fairy Tail isn't really anywhere near as 'goofy' or 'dumb' as the formula Dragonball or One Piece use. For example, Luffy is more of a complete idiot akin to Goku, while Natsu is more normal like, say, Naruto, or another 'hotheaded, kinda cool' protagonist. Goku and Luffy would both try to eat rocks if you told them to. As I said, One Piece apes the formula the most out of all current shounen.

Crazy idea I know but maybe people love Luffy because despite being simple on the surface he is an oddly Inspiring character.

And maybe people just enjoy a story about characters trying to achieve their dreams, a story about the bonds of friendship with a cast of colorful characters that fans can easily root for and love because the characters love each other and actually show it.

And really the story is hardly as goofy or dumb as you try to make it out to be. There are plenty of dramatic moments but even through these hard times the characters do not give up and they believe in each other.

Quote:
The thing people forget is One Piece always wasn't this giant... actually it only started getting these numbers of sales around... 2009. In 2008, One Piece only sold about 5 million volumes. It jumped up to 14 million in 2009, and then 31 million in 2010. So it's not like One Piece was always this big or anything, it's a fairly recent thing.

I was in Japan in 2007 and it was HUGE back then and definitely the most popular current JUMP series even back then. Chopper was everywhere when I was there.

Quote:
I think what a lot of people assert to it is the movie Strong World, which probably got the most mainstream-ity favor and introduced a lot of people to the series. So then they go back and buy all 60+ volumes of the manga, which give it a boost in sales. Not unlike when a big movie comes out here like say Watchmen, and then suddenly Watchmen tops the American comic charts from the casual movie-going crowd. Hense why the Wii analogy is so fitting, most of OP sales come from casual fans, because it's such a simple series to get into and it's not targeting the core anime/manga fans.

One Piece was a huge hit (in terms of manga sales & anime ratings) way before "Strong World". Strong World was popular because of the series itself not the other way around.

One Piece has been "mainstream" for a long time in Japan. People there have grown up with the series hence why you get children & adults reading the manga. Has the series gotten more popular over time? yes! But that doesn't mean its popularity is a "new thing".

Also I would hardly call One Piece a series with 60+ volumes something for a "casual fan" are you kidding me? I would really like to know how it's so easy to get into such a long running series with a continuous story (and yes One Piece is definitely continuous with little things from chapters ago coming back later in the story. It's one of the few long running series where I can actually see some planning, not just making stuff up as it goes along).

edited my post because I think I came off ruder than I intended, my apologies!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Crazy idea I know but maybe people love Luffy because despite being simple on the surface he is an oddly Inspiring character.

And maybe people just enjoy a story about characters trying to achieve their dreams, a story about the bonds of friendship with a cast of colorful characters that fans can easily root for and love because the characters love each other and actually show it.

And really the story is hardly as goofy or dumb as you try to make it out to be. There are plenty of dramatic moments but even through these hard times the characters do not give up and they believe in each other.

The thing with that is that applies to a lot of shounen. "Never give up your dream and yadda yadda" pretty common staple.

And I'd say OP is definitely goofier and dumber than other shounen. One problem I always had was how poorly Nico Robin joining them was. A woman who was seen allied and aiding Crocodile for multiple arcs, and she just shows up on their ship and makes a funny face and Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and etc instantly accept her. Sanji accept her because she's hot, and Nami accepts her after Robin pays her some money. All of those were handled very poorly and basically handwaved away and ignored. Zoro's the only one who really questions it, but it never goes anywhere. Rather than it being a tense filled moment, it's played for laughs and not treated like you'd expect it to be. I always hated that about OP, all the moments that should be filled with seriousness and tension can be swept under the rug with stupid jokes and comedy; especially when Luffy is involved. Yeah, Luffy can "get serious" when it comes to fighting the boss, but he's a one track character at his core. Compare the way Naruto handled Sai joining Team 7 post time skip. Lot's of animosity, uncertainty, and drama there, and they slowly warmed up to him, especially after his apparent betrayal of them to Orochimaru, and their eventual acceptance of him, and even now they're still adjusting to him. If it was One Piece, all Sai would do is give Naruto a bowl of ramen when they first meet and they'd suddenly be best buddies. It's the main reason One Piece is on the lower scale of my watch list, that kind of writing style doesn't appeal to me as much, though it's still interesting to follow.

That's generally what I mean by casual. OP doesn't play up the drama or seriousness much . What was the last big serious moment? A certain character's death? That's not exactly common practice in One Piece, in all fairness. In terms of games, it's like a game with a very easy learning curve, compared to more drama heavy series which would have a steeper learning curve and investment time. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it's just something to consider. It's kind of like how Spongebob gets more ratings than a more serious cartoon here. Kids and adults can get into it easier. And obviously it works for them.

Quote:
I was in Japan in 2007 and it was HUGE back then and definitely the most popular current JUMP series even back then. Chopper was everywhere when I was there.

Like any other popular series there, I would imagine. I'm not saying it was some obscure series, but back in 2008 alone it barely sold 30,000 more than NANA. Go back even earlier and it's more apparent. It really did explode overnight, so to speak.

Quote:
Also I would hardly call One Piece a series with 60+ volumes something for a "casual fan" are you kidding me? I would really like to know how it's so easy to get into such a long running series with a continuous story (and yes One Piece is definitely continuous with little things from chapters ago coming back later in the story. It's one of the few long running series where I can actually see some planning, not just making stuff up as it goes along).

By buying the volumes. It's not really unpenetrable like American comics are, it's easy to get manga in Japan. That's where most of One Piece's sales come from, actually, people buying back volumes. 25,680,342 of the 37,996,373 volumes sold are from volumes from 2010 and earlier. Less than a third are from this years volume sales. It's really the non-fans playing catch up that boost it up that much.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

The thing with that is that applies to a lot of shounen. "Never give up your dream and yadda yadda" pretty common staple.

Sure it does I am not saying One Piece themes are unique but the way its presented resonates with people. Someone posted a very good article on how One Piece appeals to people in a stagnant economy where people are told to give on their dreams and choose the safer route. The characters in One Piece all went through a hard time in the past but they are still going for their dreams. More important they also care about the dreams of each other.

As for friendship angle what I personally love about One Piece is I am not told the characters are close, it is constantly shown in their interaction.

Quote:
And I'd say OP is definitely goofier and dumber than other shounen. One problem I always had was how poorly Nico Robin joining them was. A woman who was seen allied and aiding Crocodile for multiple arcs, and she just shows up on their ship and makes a funny face and Luffy, Usopp, Chopper, and etc instantly accept her. Sanji accept her because she's hot, and Nami accepts her after Robin pays her some money. All of thoe were handled very poorly and basically handwaved away and ignored. Zoro's the only one who really questions it, but it never goes anywhere.

It's because the way I see it and always have seen it is Luffy can see things others cannot such as the good in others. The crew in general follows Luffy's lead because they believe in him.

However in general I would say Robin herself did not officially join the crew until after the CP9 arc. One Piece does have a lot of comic moments, in my opinion it's part of the series charm. In fact I think it was less cliche that they let Robin join as easily as that. What you dislike about One Piece I find charming.

And there was plenty of drama in Robin's back story and her admitting she did not want to give up on life, it was her new crew that showed her that. That type of story resonates with a lot of people.

Quote:
Rather than it being a tense filled moment, it's played for laughs and not treated like you'd expect it to be. I always hated that about OP, all the moments that should be filled with seriousness and tension can be swept under the rug with stupid jokes and comedy; especially when Luffy is involved. Yeah, Luffy can "get serious" when it comes to fighting the boss, but he's a one track character at his core.

But there are plenty of serious moments in One Piece, as I said before all the more serious because the series doesn't try to be dark and edgy so when it does get dramatic it hits you much harder.Quality over Quantity.

Quote:
It's the main reason One Piece is on the lower scale of my watch list, that kind of writing style doesn't appeal to me as much, though it's still interesting to follow.

I don't really care that One Piece is on the "lower scale" of your watch list. That is your opinion and I am not going to argue with it.

My issue is you presuming why One Piece is so popular. Perhaps the issue is you just don't see what other people do.

Quote:
That's generally what I mean by casual. OP doesn't play up the drama or seriousness much . What was the last big serious moment? A certain character's death? That's not exactly common practice in One Piece, in all fairness.

But that's my point One Piece doesn't need dramatic moments all the time because when they DO happen they are all the more powerful. The point is Oda saves those dramatic moments so they really mean something.

Quote:
In terms of games, it's like a game with a very easy learning curve, compared to more drama heavy series which would have a steeper learning curve and investment time. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it's just something to consider. It's kind of like how Spongebob gets more ratings than a more serious cartoon here. Kids and adults can get into it easier. And obviously it works for them.

I love how you compare Spongebob (and episodic series) with One Piece a continuous one. The comparison makes no sense.

And I don't really get this whole learning curve thing. I understand that there are series more complex than One Piece but Naruto and most other shounen series definitely are not.

Quote:
Like any other popular series there, I would imagine. I'm not saying it was some obscure series, but back in 2008 alone it barely sold 30,000 more than NANA. Go back even earlier and it's more apparent. It really did explode overnight, so to speak.

That's just one source even back in 2007 One Piece was already in the top 3 all time best selling manga.

http://comipress.com/article/2007/05/06/1923

Quote:
By buying the volumes. It's not really unpenetrable like American comics are, it's easy to get manga in Japan. That's where most of One Piece's sales come from, actually, people buying back volumes. 25,680,342 of the 37,996,373 volumes sold are from volumes from 2010 and earlier. Less than a third are from this years volume sales. It's really the non-fans playing catch up that boost it up that much.

I understand that there are always going to be new fans to boost the sales but that's a lot of volumes to play catch up with. There is a cost (and also time) involved.

And the One Piece sales keep increasing because while there are new fans, old fans keep buying as well. New fans aren't replacing the old ones but being adding on.

Again a lot of Japanese fans "grew up" with the series in the same way kids grew up with Harry Potter.
iloveoov

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
iloveoov wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Oh my, it seems my comment started an argument..I'm sorry..that wasn't my intent, I was just being silly.

But yes all of the top sellers are overrated, I'll be honest...While I can fully respect the populartiy One Piece has attained, I find it Highly undeserving, its really no better then most other shonen, it seems to get buy off of its "Fun factor" alone, and while thats fine & dandy there are many other anime & mange out there that are overall better then it.

And to those who think I'm being bias, I can admit Bleach & Naruto are overrated as well, most long running shonen are, just not to as much the extent as OP, thats why personally bothers me. I love long running shonen, I truly do. But it drives me batty that OP is so undeservingly popular.

But again thats all just my personal opinion & bias. Factually nothing is better or worse then anything, it mearly is...but thats irrelivant, so i digrese.

your are clearly don't know what are you talking about.. dude.. i feel sorry for you.

Your well entitled to your opinion, but being a jerk because you disagree with others is rahter immature and quite rude. In the end media is all preferance, again, personally, I don't like one Piece at all, but I don't go around bashing people that do just becaues they have a diffrent opinion about it then I do.

Also, yeah I like Bleach, Blue Exorcist & Fairy Tail all alot more then OP. And that is my right, just as it is yours & others rights to overly love it. In the end Media is made for entertianment, people are entertained by diffrent things.

Also just because somthing is rabbidly popular doesn't mean its really good, just like if somthing isn't that popular doesnt mean its really bad.

But somehow I feel these words are wasted on someone like you...so I'll just stop here.

I can't do anything if you feel that way.. I just felt sorry for like I feel sorry for a hungry lost cat or whatever but if you feel offended, I can't do anything.. its not the first time for someone say something like this when they don't have anything relevant and logic to back up their claim. they will always bring up "this is my opinion" argument in the end.. I feel sorry for you... a person taste is a person taste but the problem is you try to use your taste as a point in the discussion about the quality of one manga.. so that is why I feel sorry for you... Dude... Sad
iloveoov

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Hospodar wrote:
I have a few questions for you.
Why isn’t Fairy Tail as popular as OP? I mean it is very similar to One Piece in many aspects. It is even more for the casual crowd with much shorter arcs etc. It is fairly popular and did made the third spot on the list but lost 1 million sales and it is nowhere near OP sales.

Also, Fairy Tail doesn't have as many years behind it as One Piece does. One Piece is at 64 volumes, while Fairy Tail is only at 29. The thing people forget is One Piece always wasn't this giant... actually it only started getting these numbers of sales around... 2009. In 2008, One Piece only sold about 5 million volumes. It jumped up to 14 million in 2009, and then 31 million in 2010. So it's not like One Piece was always this big or anything, it's a fairly recent thing. I think what a lot of people assert to it is the movie Strong World, which probably got the most mainstream-ity favor and introduced a lot of people to the series. So then they go back and buy all 60+ volumes of the manga, which give it a boost in sales. Not unlike when a big movie comes out here like say Watchmen, and then suddenly Watchmen tops the American comic charts from the casual movie-going crowd. Hense why the Wii analogy is so fitting, most of OP sales come from casual fans, because it's such a simple series to get into and it's not targeting the core anime/manga fans.

Quote:
Why are there so many diehard fans of OP(who also read a lot of other Manga) who think that OP is one of the best Manga ever created while MOST people who read Fairy Tail will tell you that it is only “average”.

Ah, that's getting more into fanbase categorizing which is always tricky and full of generalizations and not really any hard facts, so it's all conjecture and circumstantial and up to interpretation. While it's easy to generalize the whole fanbase as fanboys like MasterKingJC and others, I would personally hope those are just the vocal minority which stems from the same reason there's console fanboys. Most of them are little kids or teenagers with juvenile tenancies who want their own validation through some kind of silly superiority on what they play or watch. Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach have always been like that, to be fair, as with any medium that gets perceived as 'rivals' (console wars) If I had to make a guess (and I guess I do to answer the question) I might say it's because suddenly OP is big so the fans want to ride that train all the way to the bank, so to speak. "What? Of course it's popular, it's the best series ever, that's why I watch it" Like if you just won the lottery and want to flaunt it all over town and turn into a big jerk.

As someone who's been an anime fan for over 20 years, I can attest to at least the people I met over the years, that One Piece fans weren't always like this. Back before 2007 I knew a lot of humble ones who did the same thing you assert Fairy Tail fans of doing, merely calling the series 'good' to 'alright' to 'enjoyable, fun, turn your brain off and enjoy, it's not that special'. Also keep in mind anime and manga are one of the most vocal hobbies out there.. people can be so pessimistic and hating on anime despite they like it for some silly reason, as well as the opposite) I'd like to think most Fairy Tail fans (and anime fans in general) are too busy reading it to go trolling around message boards and starting arguments about it. People spend more time putting other series down than they do enjoying their own, for some silly reason. I mean, when you look at it, you have zerochitentoppakai, MasterKingJC, and maybe one or two others in this thread I don't remember or skimmed over (they're probably the most vocal) So let's say 5 people. 5 people in this whole forum. Not even a drop in the bucket, but since they're so vocal and rude about it, you notice them, so you assert that all One Piece fans are like that and make a generalization that a lot of people are like that. I'm a fan of One Piece, I suppose, but I myself would only call it 'okay'. Most average fans aren't going to be anywhere near as vocal as those people and stand out. It's all about perception.

Quote:
You can see here the publich opinion, which is kind of like rotten tomatoes for Manga:
http://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php
Why are 9/10 of the readers over 18? I mean look at Kochikame. Kochikame it the oldest Manga which is still ongoing. It is like the Simpsons over there. Very loved by a lot of people, beause of its age read by mostly adults, meant for the causal crowd and yet you don’t see it on the TOP 50 list.

Kochikame is a long running gag series, so it's the same reason you won't see Doraemon, Shin-chan, Sazaesan, or similar "bigger than anything else in Japan, but unheard of in the US". Most US anime fans aren't into anime for those series, but the more "serious" stuff. Actually, the "unheard of" is a big factor. Look at how many differences there are in votes: Berserk is #1 with 22,555 votes, while the #2 only has 8,748 votes. You don't need to take a statistics class to see how terribly inaccurate and faulty that method is. Also, given it's an online poll, it can always be abused. This says nothing of simple things like most fans of a series don't frequent that site, so they don't vote, or maybe they do go there but just don't vote. If a community is so pro-A and so anti-B, then all the B fans go somewhere else, so obviously the votes for B will be reflective of that, as well as the A series votes. I made a thread about Sket Dance here and it more or less died after 4 posts. Meanwhile, other sites I go to have a lot of Sket Dance threads and we discuss it there. So if there was a poll here, Sket Dance would probably rank very low given most people here don't care about it, so you can easily twist things and use this site's poll as "See, look, no one likes Sket Dance" which is terribly inaccurate and not true at all if you look at it like that. Sites like Rotten Tomatos, Metacritic, and MAL are terribly flawed and grossly inaccurate, and I advise people never to use them as any kind of factual objectivity. Or really any site, to be brutally honest. Even sales data can be easily challenged. Like the 'the movie lures in people'. Since the west never really have that effect, you might even consider the west's sales a bit more accurate because there's not as many 'casuals' flocking towards it, so it's a better representation of the 'core' anime fanbase. Really you can twist and challenge a lot of stuff if you're creative enough.

Oh My GOD!!.. seriously... I feel really sorry and sad to all of this "side" of posters in this thread.. they are clearly don't know anything about manga world(I bet they don't even buy manga and just read them free in the internet) and clearly don't know what they are talking about... Shocked

they are all like a frog in at the bottom of well.. they think they know the world and it's history... Laughing
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
I can't be bothered to quote people, but let me just say this.

Why are people taking the fact that you can jump at any point into One Piece and enjoy it as a bad thing? The fact that such a long running series has the ability to garner new fans and keep them hooked enough to want to read everything that happened before makes it amazing.

That's how One Piece's sales keeps increasing, while practically everyone else seems to be on the downturn. It manages to hook in new fans while managing to hold its audience's attention.

Also, according to the NHK Documentary about One Piece, majority of One Piece fans are adults. Which means even if the readers grow older (what with it being 14 years already), they still keep on reading. If it's as childish as people say it is, it won't have those statistics.
shafiq95

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Damn that is bad. I didn't realise it at first but apart from One Piece and Gintama all the other top ten selling manga series from the 2010 list had sales decline.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2010

ermmmmm did you even notice that blue exorcist gain popularity the fastest
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7