• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
shafiq95 wrote:
Ushio wrote:
Damn that is bad. I didn't realise it at first but apart from One Piece and Gintama all the other top ten selling manga series from the 2010 list had sales decline.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2010

ermmmmm did you even notice that blue exorcist gain popularity the fastest

Blue exorcist wasn't on the 2010 top ten list.
NamiLuffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
I really like One piece
I wonder if there will be a manga that can defeat ONE PIECE, hahaha
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
NamiLuffy wrote:
I really like One piece
I wonder if there will be a manga that can defeat ONE PIECE, hahaha

Only if a manga becomes a worldwide phenomenon because Japan's population will be decreasing. Laughing
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
yeah Oda deserves it,
no sugar coating needed

the first thing to do for an author is to create a well-planned
story,producing hundreds of chapters is common for a mangaka,
some other mangaka just produce&produce even the story itself contradict with each other,turning to plot holes/flaws,
some overuse deus ex machina thing,showing that they're inexperience or a novice author,almost all mangaka s are like that,they only know how to draw

they only know how to "make" a manga/money,but don't know how to "create" a manga

Oda can also produce a lot of sayings/epigrams without ripping off someone's work,some other mangaka can't even produce a single original memorable quote in their entire life/work or not knowing, having no clue how to properly execute a common thing for an author,sometimes they try to do it,but failed,and their readers
will go "that's lame dude"
reaching 650 chapters and only at the half way point of the whole story/series,without running out of ideas or repeating the same thing again&again without changes,Oda changes his story in every arc,new characters with new personalities,new environment/world,
and new story,new morals,new fights, new epic quotes etc. each have originality,that's why op is so complex,staying fresh,and gaining more readers,
Oda never forgets a single plot even minor plots,these past several years,an excellent author can connect every dots without relying to deus ex machina or an scapegoat for screw ups

some mangaka always throw their plot/characters in the trash bin,
and introduce a new one and then again throw them in the trash bin and introduce a new trash,even though it's contradicting their own work,in that way,an author is exposing himself as an inexperience author,like a student cramming for an exam

on other manga they only changed enemies
"you must defeat this enemy until the end of the series"
and you can be the best or aiming for the top with a simple reason,
sometimes with no reason at all,
for a long run,it'll become boring,the same plot for hundreds of chapters,plus adding the never ending cliche things

in Oda's work I have seen a lot of phrases,
that don't even deserve to be in a shonen manga,
and his protagonist is a stupid person,who's aiming for a title that have the most freedom in the world,it's unheard of for a shonen,
very original,he's like changing the habitual/traditional aiming for the top thing by doing the same,but adding a difference at the same time,and not just changing it,
but adding a difference in a very clever way and morals the most important part of a book/story,
he's very direct/forward and wise/ingenious when it comes to that,producing as many as he can without running out of ideas

if you watch the Japanese documentary of nhk,
about why all Japanese reads one piece
yeah a f***ing documentary lol,you'll know why it's not that simple,
and casual readers who casually read their book,will not get it,
or if you're reading a crappy translation
Hospodar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sites like Rotten Tomatos, Metacritic, and MAL are terribly flawed and grossly inaccurate, and I advise people never to use them as any kind of factual objectivity. .

You are terrible wrong here. Those sites don’t take the quantity (the amount of people who have read/watched it) into account but ONLY the quality. The amount of people who vote or frequent those sites is not very important but only the score given.
It’s like political predictions. You don’t ask everyone for whom they are going to vote. You ask a little percentage and then calculate it for all and the results are surprisingly (not really surprisingly) accurate.

It also gives you a good overview where certain Manga stand quality wise in relation to other Manga in the same genre. Of course you can’t compare a shoujo with a bloody Seinen etc. People who make those lists usually read/watch more than one series. Shoujo lovers will mostly only read/watch shoujo and therefore be able to compare the quality between those shoujo they read etc.
How do you actually compare quality objectively? You take the subjectively opinion of many and the result is the relatively objectively opinion. You will never get all opinions but if you have a certain percentage you will get a relative accurate result, like in the political polls predictions.
There will always be people who think Transformers is the best movie ever done. There will always be people who think Citizen Kane is a boring movie. There will always be people who think Shakespeare couldn’t write etc etc. But those opinions are just very few of many who think different than them.
TitanXL wrote:
Kochikame is a long running gag series, so it's the same reason you won't see Doraemon, Shin-chan, Sazaesan, or similar "bigger than anything else in Japan, but unheard of in the US". Most US anime fans aren't into anime for those series, but the more "serious" stuff. .

When did I speak about US fans. I spoke about Japanese. Your point was that One Piece was so popular because it is “goofy” and for “casual” readers. I said there are a lot of other Manga out there who have similar themes and/or are as goofy and/or are more causual. Most shonens are mainstream; a lot of shonen have similar themes. And yet OP is far more popular than them.

I have given you the video and a transcript to why OP is more popular than others. Why do you think your “opinion” to why it is more popular than others is more valid than those of who have done surveys and have actually researched it?

Maidenoftheredhand has tackled your other points very well and I don’t want to get into an endless discussion.
Your opinion is your opinion. Nobody says you have to like it more or less than other Manga. You can dislike it all you want for whatever reason. It is your right.
But your opinion is one of many many who think different than you if you haven’t realized it by now

iloveoov wrote:
they are all like a frog in at the bottom of well.. they think they know the world and it's history... Laughing
You are really not helping
Ithiel Arcadion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ithiel Arcadion wrote:
No one found Shingeki no Kyojin post-worthy?

It runs in a really small magazine (60.000 cirulation), and it doesn't even have an anime to advertise. Still it's already knocking at the top ten.

Nobody has even written a summary for it on the encyclopedia entry here on ANN. I know absolutely nothing about it. I see it's the manga-ka's first major published work and from what you said, that is quite amazing that it is one of the top selling manga in Japan given the relatively small circulation of the magazine it is published in.

I'm not sure if I'm the right person for that type of work but I just wrote a summary.

Ushio wrote:
Damn that is bad. I didn't realise it at first but apart from One Piece and Gintama all the other top ten selling manga series from the 2010 list had sales decline.

Probably a side effect of the Earthquake and tsunami. Many Japanese had other things to worry about for a good chunk of the year. Blue exorcist went against that trend because it got an anime and One Piece because it's quickly becoming an everyman show in Japan.
shafiq95

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
shafiq95 wrote:
Ushio wrote:

ermmmmm did you even notice that blue exorcist gain popularity the fastest

Blue exorcist wasn't on the 2010 top ten list.

blue exorcist was around 13 to 17(forgot) in 2010.........and in 2011 ...it just happens to be 3rd .....thats what i call the high/fastest popularity increase
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow I feel bad, my one post started a whole pointless argument about One Piece's popularity.

Again, I hold no adimostiy against the series or Oda, infact I respect the man, but I pretty much respect all comic book writers/ manga-ka (well except Rob Liefield, lol.) But the thing that puts me off of the series is how elitist its fans can be at times. Again One Piece is a solid long running shonen, and yes maybe it does deserve the rabbid love it gets in Japan and on the net, however it irks me that so many people act like its the the second coming of chrsit, I will fully admit part of my negativity towards the series is because I have had many bad exepriences with its fanbase over the years both online and in person. I hate it when people bash you for not raving over somthing as much as they do, or more recently all these idiotic Fairy Tail is a One Piece rip-off arguments (I mean if people wanna get that way about it you can always just point out how both Mashima & Oda are ripping of Toriyama, lol but thats also a silly argument. Just because both were inspired by the man doesnt make either criminals, lol.)

But yeah, I just don't like One Piece, I can resepect the series for what it is, but outside of the origional east blue arcs, nothing in it really grabs me. And sadly people think they need to bash you for that.

Again media is all made for entertianment & profit, diffrent people like diffrent things, factually none of the popular shonen are any better or worse then the other, we all just have difrrent opinions and ways of viewing them. Yes their are criteria on which one can judge the quality of a work, but even that criteria is subjective to our biases and how we personally percived what we read/watched/played, etc.

So yeah, One Piece sold nearly 38 million copies, good for it, does that make it better then the other series on the list? Nope, just means that the others "15 minutes of fame" if you will are done or dying, and/or that not as many people have gotten into the series, or cared about them in the 1st place.

But yeah back on topic, I too am glad to see how well Blue Exorcist's sales have improved, I hope it does just as well in the states.
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
My two most favorite manga series of the year are Negima and Hunter x Hunter and this list amazed me. Akamatsu Ken released about 5 volumes of Negima in 2011 while Yashihiro Togashi released only 2 volumes of Hunter x Hunter and after a huge hiatus at that, and he got almost triple the amount of sales Negima got. Now that the Hunter x Hunter manga is being released on schedule and a new anime for it is airing I can easily see it in the top 5 of next year's list. These are good times for us Hunter x Hunter fans Anime smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It's because the way I see it and always have seen it is Luffy can see things others cannot such as the good in others. The crew in general follows Luffy's lead because they believe in him.

So it's like Goku letting Vegeta leave Earth after killing a bunch of his friends and such.

See, I never really like those heroes myself, and I find it to be very lazy writing, but Japan does like it. Obviously, given DB and OP's success.

Quote:
One Piece does have a lot of comic moments, in my opinion it's part of the series charm. In fact I think it was less cliche that they let Robin join as easily as that. What you dislike about One Piece I find charming.

I don't think I'd use the word cliche as much as I'd use 'logical story progression'. I mean, it's not cliche to have, say Crocodile pop up in the next chapter and be buddy buddy and join Luffy's crew, but it doesn't make it good.

Quote:
But there are plenty of serious moments in One Piece, as I said before all the more serious because the series doesn't try to be dark and edgy so when it does get dramatic it hits you much harder.Quality over Quantity.

Eh, wouldn't say that much.. I think it's ruined by a lot of things. Like that rebel leader who got shot is.. somehow alive and well. As well as Pell who took a nuke to the face. Or Usopp who gets more or less destroyed in every fight. Yet a lava fist to the chest can kill someone? It just doesn't seem all the consistent and feels like cheap drama to me when the plot armor switch gets turned off at convenient times.

You say it was powerful.. I couldn't really care about that scene due to how conflicting it was with the rest of the manga. I mean, why expect or accept death in that instance when my first though twas "Wait, THAT kills someone, but not THIS from a hundred chapters ago? Bwuh?"

Quote:
And I don't really get this whole learning curve thing. I understand that there are series more complex than One Piece but Naruto and most other shounen series definitely are not.

Well, I mean, for example. Naruto always had a driving story, and even now it's winding down on that story. In OP's case.. at least half of it is filler/fluff. Naruto we established Oro/Akatsuki early on and have been driving towards that a lot. The first glimpse at a plot was Crocodile being part of the Seven Warlords, but even that doesn't really make Alabasta all that important. Especially since Skypia is next and Skypia is just as fluffy and nothing important really happens there to warrant 50+ chapters. For example, jump in during the city invasion in FMA, or the Kage War in Naruto and you'd be a bit confused.. but if you start Skypia, all you need to know is in Skypia... it has no real connection to the overall story and can be read/watched on it's own for the most part. Episodic is a bit inaccurate, but OP is a lot more "arcisodic", the arcs are fairly standalone and have set beginning and endings. It's just the storytelling premise the series use.

Quote:
That's just one source even back in 2007 One Piece was already in the top 3 all time best selling manga.

http://comipress.com/article/2007/05/06/1923

Per volume sales are much more accurate, but even still, Kachikome is more popular. I'm not challenging One Piece wasn't popular, I'm challenging it's 30+ million circa is a relatively new thing, which it is.

Hospodar wrote:
You are terrible wrong here. Those sites don’t take the quantity (the amount of people who have read/watched it) into account but ONLY the quality. The amount of people who vote or frequent those sites is not very important but only the score given.
It’s like political predictions. You don’t ask everyone for whom they are going to vote. You ask a little percentage and then calculate it for all and the results are surprisingly (not really surprisingly) accurate.

I really advice you to take a statistics class sometime. Here, let me give you this scenario. You poll people for two series and 100 people care enough to vote for one series, but only 1 cares enough to vote for another. The 1 person gives it a 10/10, the other has 99 people give it a 10/10 but one person gives it a 9/10. The poll now says the series where only one person cared enough to vote for is now superior to the one 100 people there like and it's more popular and well liked. You can surely see the problem with that. You can't have different sample sizes, let alone when they're restricted to a certain community with a very set opinion on something. Don't even get me started on how Metacritic weighs different site's scores, so a 10/10 from a site that pays them more tips the scale more than an 8/10 by another site, which combined, would logically give you a 9/10, but it's still a 10/10 overall on the site due to the weighing. MAL at least doesn't do that... I think.

Quote:
I have given you the video and a transcript to why OP is more popular than others. Why do you think your “opinion” to why it is more popular than others is more valid than those of who have done surveys and have actually researched it?

That's the thing, no one is right or wrong, there's not some box you open and find the answer and suddenly everything is solved. Though documentaries mean very little to me, since they have to turn a profit first and foremost and will skew their presentation as such to make it obtain that. It's still being filtered through the media. I mean, what was used to preface the link? "They're extremely conservative of Japanese values and reserved" That alone tells you what kind of spin and presentation it's going to have. I find it better to look at objective factors and are just sharing my own observations.

For example, does the documentary comment on the merchandising? Why does OP have so very few video games where the less popular Naruto and Bleach have tons more? And why are OPs limited to the Wii? While Naruto can have them on every system more or less? If there's so many fans, surely they'd bring in more profit than Naruto's does, that is, unless most of OP's fanbase are that casual crowd who aren't into nerd-stuff so marketing games to them is pointless.

There's a lot of different angles to explore on the subject.

zerochitentoppakai wrote:
Why are people taking the fact that you can jump at any point into One Piece and enjoy it as a bad thing? The fact that such a long running series has the ability to garner new fans and keep them hooked enough to want to read everything that happened before makes it amazing.

No one's really saying it's a bad thing, it's just being used as a reason why it's so popular. It caught the casual crowd and is riding it to the bank. Just like the Wii. The motion control fad was a huge hit with parents and grandparents and little kids. They're not gamers, but they got into the Wii for that. I think the main problem is people associate 'casual' as some kind of insult, when it's not. It's just a group.

Quote:
If it's as childish as people say it is, it won't have those statistics.

Well, that's terrible logic. Why would it not be popular just because it's childish? I sure hope no one is trying to argue it's not a childish series just on the grounds that it's popular and "childish" doesn't sell. I mean, look at the shows that outrank One Piece.. like Shin-chan.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Well, I mean, for example. Naruto always had a driving story, and even now it's winding down on that story. In OP's case.. at least half of it is filler/fluff. Naruto we established Oro/Akatsuki early on and have been driving towards that a lot. The first glimpse at a plot was Crocodile being part of the Seven Warlords, but even that doesn't really make Alabasta all that important. Especially since Skypia is next and Skypia is just as fluffy and nothing important really happens there to warrant 50+ chapters. For example, jump in during the city invasion in FMA, or the Kage War in Naruto and you'd be a bit confused.. but if you start Skypia, all you need to know is in Skypia... it has no real connection to the overall story and can be read/watched on it's own for the most part. Episodic is a bit inaccurate, but OP is a lot more "arcisodic", the arcs are fairly standalone and have set beginning and endings. It's just the storytelling premise the series use.

I think you're butthurt/annoyed,when people praise op,maybe a little too much for your liking,why bother arguing with them or them arguing with you,all of your posts are actually laughable,so I'll only pick one

they're exploring an entire world,what's wrong with that?
and you call them fillers,you're just stating what you want to believe in an argument right?

and there's no such thing as pointless arcs in one piece,
each story/arcs are well planned/executed&connected,no plot holes,
even those manga that have a simple story or having a not so complex story,can't even do that

Skypiea/Alabasta having a key element to the main story itself,
the story of Poneglyphs,blank/void century,and Roger's adventure&hearing of all things in skypiea,Enel going to the moon,a main character named Nico Robin joining the crew,the vivre card of Luffy's brother,and now we're hearing about the world council "the reverie" the king of Alabasta is a member of that council

"arcisodic" can't even
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

if they didn't go to sky island, Nami wouldn't have gotten the dials she uses for her climatact. if they didn't go to sky island, going merry's keel wouldn't have received so much damage upon landing that they'd have to replace her within the next 2 arcs. if they didn't go to sky island, they wouldn't have seen one of the poneglyphs and learned that Gol D. Roger is able to hear the voice of all things.

it's just like Team 7's first mission to Wave. it's not really necessary to the plot, Kishi could've just made someone else tell Naruto about the strength you get when you protect someone. Instead, he chose to make it a C turned A rank mission to give it more impact.

If Oda didn't elaborate on the islands they visit and the lives of the people Luffy and the others touch, you can't really call One Piece a manga about great adventures. And if they do land on a normal, boring island all the time, where they just take whatever's necessary to the plot and go, nobody would read One Piece. It's the climax of these arcs, and how the main characters show their determination in their respective battles that appeals to the readers.

TitanXL wrote:
For example, does the documentary comment on the merchandising? Why does OP have so very few video games where the less popular Naruto and Bleach have tons more? And why are OPs limited to the Wii? While Naruto can have them on every system more or less? If there's so many fans, surely they'd bring in more profit than Naruto's does, that is, unless most of OP's fanbase are that casual crowd who aren't into nerd-stuff so marketing games to them is pointless.

because Wii is more popular in Japan? If you're gonna make a game, use the most popular console there is. Naruto and Bleach have more fans overseas, compared to One Piece, which is probably why there are more video games for those 2, since with those 2 titles, you can simply translate them for international consumption, which also explains why it has more games for other consoles. Unfortunately, One Piece isn't quite there yet in terms of popularity in North America.

as for merchandising, dude, do you live under a rock or something? The amount of One Piece-related merchandise is insane. Toys, figures, cook books, inspirational quote books, you name it, One Piece probably has it. Heck, they even have AXE with One Piece characters drawn on them.

TitanXL wrote:

Well, that's terrible logic. Why would it not be popular just because it's childish? I sure hope no one is trying to argue it's not a childish series just on the grounds that it's popular and "childish" doesn't sell. I mean, look at the shows that outrank One Piece.. like Shin-chan.

and yet Shin-chan didn't really make waves in terms of volume sales.

Sure, One Piece may be light-hearted, but it sure isn't childish. I don't see why people say childishness is the reason why it's popular, when majority of the readers are adults.

One Piece volumes are being bought by more adults than children. If all those adults still read different kinds of manga on a regular basis, then One Piece wouldn't have such a huge lead over the others. Majority of people don't read other manga, but they read One Piece. Whether you like it or not, people eventually stop reading manga after a certain point, thinking it's already too childish for them. And yet, it seems One Piece manages to retain its fans,or at the very least gain more than the amount it loses.

There are a lot of childish anime out there. Take Sazae-san or Doraemon for example. Those aren't plot driven anime at all (you may say they're childish, but they're actually entertaining for all ages), but they're watched by families as a whole. They've just been watched by the Japanese people for so long, it's practically habit for them to watch those series every week. Sure these series may be popular, and yet you don't see them breaking sales records. It's one thing to simply turn on your tv and sit still for 30 minutes, going to the bookstore/convenience store to buy the newest volume/jump issue (which costs time, money, and energy) is a different thing altogether.

Last edited by zerochitentoppakai on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm writing a long essay on the first part of One Piece, but right now I would like to say that I didn't like it at first, and I had to start reading it trice before getting into the story.

One of the (many) good things about One Piece is the fact that it is exponential: the more you read it, the more it gets better (generally) and the more you appreciate the older chapters and story arcs, so well they are connected together.

I would like to talk about the richness in both drawings (the pages seem too small, especially in the latest volumes, for all the details they are filled with) and story telling/characters development (and mutual relationships), but it would take too long right now and this isn't the right thread to do it anyway.

So, I would like to just make whoever thinks OP popularity isn't deserved reflect about how is the point of view used throughout the manga: it was a huge factor in making what OP it is today, and I'm going to explain more about it in the analysis I'm writing (I won't post it in these forums since it will be quite long, but feel free to mail or PM me if you are interested).
I would like to her people opinions on it. Smile

One last note: not all is subjective: there are elements that can be judged by objective standards and arguments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
zerochitentoppakai wrote:
if they didn't go to sky island, Nami wouldn't have gotten the dials she uses for her climatact. if they didn't go to sky island, going merry's keel wouldn't have received so much damage upon landing that they'd have to replace her within the next 2 arcs. if they didn't go to sky island, they wouldn't have seen one of the poneglyphs and learned that Gol D. Roger is able to hear the voice of all things.

it's just like Team 7's first mission to Wave. it's not really necessary to the plot, Kishi could've just made someone else tell Naruto about the strength you get when you protect someone. Instead, he chose to make it a C turned A rank mission to give it more impact.

Then I would argue it makes more sense in Naruto's case because it was the first arc of the series and set to introduce the characters and their relationship and team dynamics. Not to mention it's considerably shorter than a One Piece arc. Outside pretty much the dials, the Skypiea was kind of just there.. and did you really need 7 volumes for just those little things you could easily do in a few chapters?

Quote:
If Oda didn't elaborate on the islands they visit and the lives of the people Luffy and the others touch, you can't really call One Piece a manga about great adventures. And if they do land on a normal, boring island all the time, where they just take whatever's necessary to the plot and go, nobody would read One Piece. It's the climax of these arcs, and how the main characters show their determination in their respective battles that appeals to the readers.

And that's what it comes down to in the end, isn't it? One Piece is more about the adventure and comedy, not really the story or plot, or even the characters in a drama sense. Each arc is an adventure for the readers, and Oda definitely plans to stretch it out as long as he can in that regard. It's pretty formulamatic.

TitanXL wrote:
because Wii is more popular in Japan? If you're gonna make a game, use the most popular console there is. Naruto and Bleach have more fans overseas, compared to One Piece, which is probably why there are more video games for those 2, since with those 2 titles, you can simply translate them for international consumption, which also explains why it has more games for other consoles. Unfortunately, One Piece isn't quite there yet in terms of popularity in North America.

That would really only work if Naruto didn't have just as many games on the Wii. It also has considerably more on the DS and PSP, both huge in Japan. PS3/360 is just extras, all things considered. Especially when a lot of those games don't get released outside Japan (Bleach has like 10 PSP games.. did any even come out here?) So international stuff isn't really much of a factor. Core nerd demograph is, though.

as for merchandising, dude, do you live under a rock or something? The amount of One Piece-related merchandise is insane. Toys, figures, cook books, inspirational quote books, you name it, One Piece probably has it. Heck, they even have AXE with One Piece characters drawn on them.

Quote:
Sure, One Piece may be light-hearted, but it sure isn't childish. I don't see why people say childishness is the reason why it's popular, when majority of the readers are adults.

No one's saying it's popular because it's childish.. just that it is childish (especially compared to FMA, Bleach, Naruto, and whatever else people compared it to) But yeah, it's light-hearted. Definitely the most light-hearted of the bunch. I'd say that helps it's popularity though. I mean, you don't see FMA or Persona 4 ranking above Sazaesan on the weekly ratings and such, right?
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
One Piece is very light-hearted mixed with emotional, sometimes dark moments sprinkled on top. I'd have to say some of the saddest moments in the series would have to be Nami's past, Chopper's past, Robin's past, and Brook's past (which is kinda dark and slightly traumatizing when you think more about his specific situation at the time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7