• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerochitentoppakai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
well since everything is pretty much replied to by everyone else here, i 'd just reply to this one.

TitanXL wrote:
See, that seems like weak writing to me. Going back and finding a random character from episode 1 and suddenly saying "Hey guys, remember this guy? He's actually the main villain/the new crew member/whatever" doesn't seem that creative or as "mindblowingly epic totally planned out Oda is a genius" as people are saying. I don't see as "brilliant" or "masterpiece writing". It's kind of easy to recycle/retcon things if you do that, so I don't see the big deal. Like the Laboon/Brook thing.. who cares? Does it affect the story? People say it's "obviously planned out" (which is so debatable) but how is it different than saying Brook is Coby's dad. It would make just as much sense and have just as much foreshadowing as the Laboon thing did. Brook mentions Laboon by name, but the guy with Laboon never mentions Brook by name, so it's more like a retcon foreshadow. The pirate crew Laboon talked about could have been Shanks or someone else just as easily if Oda felt like it when the time came to retouch on that subject. It was pretty open.

Let me just leave this here.

don't try to cheapen his writing skills by calling it retconning and recycling. Oda takes notes of details. Another example is, when Rayleigh first appeared in Buggy's mini flashback, he specifically told the anime staff to NOT refer to the guy ordering them around as captain. Give credit where credit is due. Oda is nothing short of a great storyteller.

also,

> Does it affect the story?
are you listening to yourself? the reason brook joined them is because he had a reason to go through the grand line, a.k.a. Laboon. He wouldn't be part of the main cast if it weren't for that backstory.
Demonicpoodle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Guy who likes "super serious dramatic" stuff gets owned, more news at 11.

You can like both comedy & "supa sewius" stuff, you know, and everything in between. One Piece is the "in between", though it does quite often lean more towards the serious.
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
zerochitentoppakai wrote:
well since everything is pretty much replied to by everyone else here, i 'd just reply to this one.

TitanXL wrote:
See, that seems like weak writing to me. Going back and finding a random character from episode 1 and suddenly saying "Hey guys, remember this guy? He's actually the main villain/the new crew member/whatever" doesn't seem that creative or as "mindblowingly epic totally planned out Oda is a genius" as people are saying. I don't see as "brilliant" or "masterpiece writing". It's kind of easy to recycle/retcon things if you do that, so I don't see the big deal. Like the Laboon/Brook thing.. who cares? Does it affect the story? People say it's "obviously planned out" (which is so debatable) but how is it different than saying Brook is Coby's dad. It would make just as much sense and have just as much foreshadowing as the Laboon thing did. Brook mentions Laboon by name, but the guy with Laboon never mentions Brook by name, so it's more like a retcon foreshadow. The pirate crew Laboon talked about could have been Shanks or someone else just as easily if Oda felt like it when the time came to retouch on that subject. It was pretty open.

Let me just leave this here.

don't try to cheapen his writing skills by calling it retconning and recycling. Oda takes notes of details. Another example is, when Rayleigh first appeared in Buggy's mini flashback, he specifically told the anime staff to NOT refer to the guy ordering them around as captain. Give credit where credit is due. Oda is nothing short of a great storyteller.

also,

> Does it affect the story?
are you listening to yourself? the reason brook joined them is because he had a reason to go through the grand line, a.k.a. Laboon. He wouldn't be part of the main cast if it weren't for that backstory.

True this~
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The scary thing is that that collage of different panels is just one of the many examples that could be made! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
[rant]

Jeez...Look at all these posts that are only slightly related to the original topic...

I've gotta ask...Why are we spending so much time discussing if One Piece is popular/why it's popular/if it deserves to be popular/if it's good? I mean, yes, it got first place, and it's more than important enough to the manga industry to have an intelligent, flame-free discussion of the subject.

However...That's not the topic...And while One Piece got first place by over 30 million sales, was anyone actually surprised by this? And in the mean time, there are 49 other manga on the list also worthy of comment...

[/rant]

Anyways...Hmm, I didn't realize Ao no Exorcist would go up by that much...Wow. And Hunter x Hunter made it up there with just two volumes...Now I just pray Togashi won't go back on hiatus.

Glad to see FMA is still up there so long after it ended. It deserves it, IMHO.

Last edited by Darkmagick on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
^ Mostly, people who really read/understand One Piece just wanted to clarify something about it after someone wrote absolute false things about it.

Replying to comments like those can be useful, even if it means going a bit off topic, since who hasn't read the manga yet could get a bad impression that OP doesn't deserves by those aforementioned posts. Wink

Also, what I and others wrote doesn't stop others to comment on other manga, too (I also read many ones, not just OP, and some aren't in this list even).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugiwarachan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It really annoys me when people say "that the reason why One Piece is #1 in manga sales is that it's been there ages ago..." especially those Naruto fanboys. But, wait! Naruto came out just 2 years after OP! and still look at the HUGE difference of their sales

I'm proud of OP! Still going stronger and stronger each year!

Though I'm really disappointed that One Piece doesn't get the attention it should have in US... damn those 4kids! Totally ruined everything!
Mugiwarachan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
And come on, people! One Piece wouldn't get that HUGE amount of sales if it wasn't great!
For those questioning OP @ being #1... you either haven't watch or read it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7