• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan: 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doktor1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Where's Spice and Wolf? :'(
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

38 Gosick II: Gosick Sono Tsumi wa Namonaki 138,310

Heheh, why is Gosick II at 38th place with the exact same sales as Gosick I.......... Laughing
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

I dunno if you guys knew this or not, but YenPress did license the DURARARA!! manga.

I completely agree with the sentiment about getting more light novels. I know I've heard several times that they don't sell well, but I'd like to think massively popular ones like Index or OreImo would stand a fair chance of doing well.

Already pre-ordered the first volume off of Amazon.
I think the problems with selling them over here is the fact the novels have to be marketed to the already narrow manga niche instead of being able to try for young adult. (Granted Durarara would not work as a young adult book over here, but Baccano?) And I know Yen was trying to break out of that with Spice and Wolf, though I'm not sure how that's working out for them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
(Granted Durarara would not work as a young adult book over here, but Baccano?)

Wait, what? I'm going to guess that you meant to say 'Durarara would work as a young adult book over here, but Baccano?'
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Kino's Journey (though I know the problems Tokyopop had with that one were on the Japanese side).

Huh? I thought they just cancelled it because it didn't sell well?

vinamara wrote:
Guess these are the upcoming would-be candidates for a new anime series. There are a couple of potentials here.

But there are only two titles on the list that don't have an anime already.

Frankly, this list looks very sad to me. There must be some better light novels out there. But it also does give me some hope that Beast Player Erin or Guardian of the Spirit, whose novels have much higher sales, might be getting a sequel at some point as well.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Kino's Journey (though I know the problems Tokyopop had with that one were on the Japanese side).

Correct. Tokyopop stated many times that Kino's Journey did not sell at all in the U.S. and that is why it got canned. The same goes for Twelve Kingdoms and almost all other Tokyopop novels (except the .hack novels maybe. These did sell quite well).
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
They didn't cancel 12 Kingdoms, even though it probably didn't sell all that well either, it must have been still doing better than the other novels. Kodansha ... pulled the license, which forced Tokyopop to stop publishing the series.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
(Granted Durarara would not work as a young adult book over here, but Baccano?)

Wait, what? I'm going to guess that you meant to say 'Durarara would work as a young adult book over here, but Baccano?'

I think as a whole Baccano might have more appeal over here, even for the young adult demographic, because it's set in America. While Durarara does have a more "teen" feel, it is a rather Japanese series that I don't think could translate as well for a main young adult market.

N.R. wrote:
maaya wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Correct. Tokyopop stated many times that Kino's Journey did not sell at all in the U.S. and that is why it got canned. The same goes for Twelve Kingdoms and almost all other Tokyopop novels (except the .hack novels maybe. These did sell quite well).

I'm forgetting the episode, but I was listening to a Manga Out Loud podcast, where they were talking to one of the guys from Tokyopop, and I could have sworn he talked about how the original author had issues with how the text was translated and wouldn't allow them to continue. Though I also don't doubt the low sales as well.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Doktor1 wrote:
Where's Spice and Wolf? :'(

Was thinking the same myself Sad The final novel was released July. I would love to see another season of S@W with the ending but if it didn't sell then it doesn't look likely *cries*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2