• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zelda: Skyward Sword Tops Weekly Chart With 194,978

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Best game of the freaking decade.

Too bad everyone lost interest in the Wii due to its lack of decent games. If Wii had better games then more people would be able to experience this game in the West. Makes me sad when people nominate something like MW3 for game of the year without even considering Skyward Sword...
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Think you'll still be saying that in another nine years?

Then again, in nine years we could only be getting new versions of Madden, Street Fighter, and Cowadoody. Forget I mentioned it.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here played Skyward Sword yet? I've seen glowing reviews from critics but heard little from actual gamers who weren't diehard Nintendo fanboys already. I loved Ocarina of Time but gave up on Zelda ever since (Windwaker was too cartoony, Twilight Princess felt too derivative and off-mark). All the hype surrounding Skyward Sword is making me second-guess, though.

Some say it pushes OoT off its hallowed pedestal, can this be true or is it just fanboy gushing?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Anyone here played Skyward Sword yet? I've seen glowing reviews from critics but heard little from actual gamers who weren't diehard Nintendo fanboys already. I loved Ocarina of Time but gave up on Zelda ever since (Windwaker was too cartoony, Twilight Princess felt too derivative and off-mark). All the hype surrounding Skyward Sword is making me second-guess, though.

Some say it pushes OoT off its hallowed pedestal, can this be true or is it just fanboy gushing?

I haven't beat it yet but I've been enjoying it so far. But, I liked Windwaker and Twilight Princess as well so what the hell do I know. I guess it should also be noted that I was never a HUGE fan of Ocarina of Time.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
*I gave up on Zelda because Windwaker was too cartoony*

^ That is the dumbest thing I read all day. Wind Waker was the best Zelda game before Skyward Sword graced me with its perfection!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Too bad everyone lost interest in the Wii due to its lack of decent games. If Wii had better games then more people would be able to experience this game in the West. Makes me sad when people nominate something like MW3 for game of the year without even considering Skyward Sword...

I will agreed that the Wii has lost interest because of lack of decent game (except some good one, and exclusives from Nintendo). Also the Move from the PS3 (some people called the Move, Wii HD, and it;s ironic because we got some Wii to PS3 ports with Move support) and Xbox 360's Kinect has gotten more attention then the Wii did few years ago.

Also, I think Skyward Sword could be a candidate for Game of the year award. But it's going to get a lot of competition to get that title. Modern Warfare 3 and Skyward Sword are not the only one:

Dark Souls
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Battlefield 3

Am I missing any other game that could be GOTY candidate? Anyway, I don't think there is a chance that Modern Warfare 3 would win GOTY, but Skyward Sword is going to head with head with other GOTY candidate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:

I just finished Skyward Sword, and while it is not THE BEST GAME EVARR!!!11 (nor is it flawless for that matter), it does a lot of new things that are great welcome changes to the franchise. For one thing, a story with actual character involvement that makes Zelda more than just a macguffin, and boss fights, as well as taking the concept of "dungeon", to a whole new level. By no means should it be discredited as GOTY, but I feel it deserves more merit on the new things it does to the franchise as a whole and even manages to tie continuity throughout all the other Zelda games to far.

Simply put, you have to play it through to decide. For me, it's a great ride. And Groose is definitely going to be Character of the Year.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
That is the dumbest thing I read all day.

Let's fix that...

Mario1234567 wrote:
That is the frankest personal opinion with which I coincidentally strongly disagree that I've read all day.

All better. Smile
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I always hated how people would bash on Wind Waker because of its cel-shaded graphics. It was a solid Zelda game, one of the better ones. Now Majora's Mask on the other hand....
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
My least favorite modern Zelda game is Twilight Princess.

Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, however are all incredible games.

Quote:
Think you'll still be saying that in another nine years?

I meant it more like the best game that has come out in the past 10 years.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
As someone who loves Ocarina of Time and doesn't care for *Wind Waker's graphics (though admittedly I do love Twilight Princess), I am enjoying Skyward Sword so far, but it does have it's annoyances.

I personally love the graphics and characters, and some of the temple/dungeon designs and bosses are a lot of fun. I also like some of the new weapons (whoever created the Beetle is my hero!), and the stamina meter allowing you to sprint is a really nice touch. The sidequests are fun, and I really like having one central bazaar.

But admittedly I have a bit of trouble with the motion controls sometimes. When I'm just standing in one place waving my sword around, it's fine, but as soon as I get in a battle, for some reason, I can almost never do a forward thrust, which has proven extremely frustrating. But items attached to the B button seem to need recalibrating the most - I can't tell you how many times I've gone to roll a bomb and Link ends up throwing it.

spoiler[...that and I despise the whole searching for tears thing. I've had nightmares of running around looking for those things, I tell you, NIGHTMARES.]

So while it IS fun and I am enjoying it, it occasionally can be annoying, which is really a shame. So in my opinion, it doesn't beat Ocarina of Time, but it makes a real good effort.

*For all you shaking your heads, I still gave it a try anyway, so calm down. Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quote
So far I have ~35 hours put in and I'm at the spoiler["collect my stuff because it was stolen" in the Volcano], so I'm probably a few hours away from the end, but so far I'm really liking it. Honestly, I don't think the game as a story is mind-blowingly awesome like others do, but it sure is fun as hell to play because of how they use motion control, and that's the most important aspect of a game to me. Beyond the sword fights and flying (which are the most fun), the way they do the Master Key puzzles, the whip, beetle, and bow (though apparently TP is like that as well; I played on the GC), throwing or rolling bombs, playing the harp, and the drawing on walls is just so much fun. Whenever the new Zelda console game comes out on the Wii U, it has to use motion control, because that, to me, is now the way to play Zelda; I don't think I could go back to button mashing.

Gwydion wrote:
but as soon as I get in a battle, for some reason, I can almost never do a forward thrust, which has proven extremely frustrating. But items attached to the B button seem to need recalibrating the most - I can't tell you how many times I've gone to roll a bomb and Link ends up throwing it.

I also have problems stabbing, which can be a problem later in the game, as I'm sure you know. I just have to remember to keep cool and not whip the wiimote into stabbing position and to keep it pointed down slightly. As for items being off center, it annoyed me too, until I realized it stays centered when I put my wiimote in the center before I hit the B-button. I sit down most of the time when I'm playing, so my wiimote was usually off-center, and I learned at some point that was why I always had to recenter.
Quote:
spoiler[...that and I despise the whole searching for tears thing. I've had nightmares of running around looking for those things, I tell you, NIGHTMARES.]

spoiler[THOSE GODDAMN POES! The second one was awful because it's practically impossible to go through it without getting caught a few times. It took me 1 try for the first and third trials, but the second one took four.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I also have problems stabbing, which can be a problem later in the game, as I'm sure you know. I just have to remember to keep cool and not whip the wiimote into stabbing position and to keep it pointed down slightly. As for items being off center, it annoyed me too, until I realized it stays centered when I put my wiimote in the center before I hit the B-button. I sit down most of the time when I'm playing, so my wiimote was usually off-center, and I learned at some point that was why I always had to recenter.

I will admit to being one of those who jerks around quite a bit while playing (which I'm sure looks quite amusing), but even calming myself down and concentrating on doing it right hasn't helped with stabbing (Beamos, Stalfos, and "Tiki heads", oh my! D8 ), so I'll have to try to remember to hold the Wiimote down slightly. Thanks for the tip! And I noticed the same thing about the B button, but again, I just naturally move around a lot, so I still usually do it on accident. ^_^;;

The King of Harts wrote:
spoiler[THOSE GODDAMN POES! The second one was awful because it's practically impossible to go through it without getting caught a few times. It took me 1 try for the first and third trials, but the second one took four.]

spoiler[Oh man, good to know the third one isn't as bad as the second! I've been dreading it, thinking that if the jump in difficulty (and annoyance) was that big between the first two, I hate to see what the third will be like.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1