• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
greyhawk wrote:

And Zac's reply doesn't help. Provided that I have a very good chance of killing that guy and getting away with it, I'll do it. If I deem it too risky, the chances are I'll turn his stupid request down, kicking him in the groin if need be. Most likely he won't be any braver than I am.

It's you, you're the problem
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
greyhawk wrote:
And Zac's reply doesn't help. Provided that I have a very good chance of killing that guy and getting away with it, I'll do it. If I deem it too risky, the chances are I'll turn his stupid request down, kicking him in the groin if need be. Most likely he won't be any braver than I am.

OK, this is an honest piece of advice. I really do mean that. Don't say stuff like this on the internet. Every single person is just going to look at this and think that you're exactly the kind of person Zac described in the column. I don't know you. For all I know this could be true. If it is though, you'd be the one exception amongst a million other kids who talk tough on the internet but are actually totally full of it. The thing is though, true or not, people will assume you're just full of it. So whether this is true or you're just making this up, nobody is going to buy it.
strahl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
hey guys...watch history in the making....

I invented a new world, just like emo, cut the sentence in the middle and there you go...new word!!

I invented the word :Cospy!!!

COSPY (Cosu-phay) means that you or any of your friend tried to integrate a cosplay element into his life and tried to pass it on as "everyday fashion"

Example: have you ever walked on the street and saw a girl with a purple hair with red strings or "name-your-color" here and you are like GEEZ that girl looks like an anime" well, she is being Cospy.

Or how about that kid that wears his naruto jacket or bandana at school...yeah he's so Cospy!!

Now, you can't use that term in anime conventions cause you are suppossed (or not) to cosplay there, but if you want to be COSPY on an anime convention, then you have to wear more than five different costumes, then you have more Cosplay Aura than the rest so your level of Costume play power increases and you are being Cospy-er than the rest...

Anybody here have COSPY friends? how about you Zac?
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
[

Thats not really fair. 1) Of course Kira has a good life but if anything that adds to the impact of then being thrown into the situation he was. 2) Destiny was god-awful and doesn't count. 3) Flay wasn't really that bad to begin with. She was nice enough (albeit a bit spoiled) up until her father's death. She doesn't become a total bitch until after her and Kira are together. At that point he dumps her ass. 4) There are a lot of socially awkward, less popular guys who would get involved with a bitchy but attractive, popular girl who was interested in them. Its not necessarily a smart move but it's not really relevant to being emo either.

It took him how long to finally break up with her? Even if a non-popular guy had the chance to be with an attractive popluar girl, if he had self-esteem he wouldn't be with her long. spoiler[He was the only main character to have his family still alive at the end of the series, and he couldn't stop crying! Well, his real parents were dead a long time ago but he never knew them. Cagalli took being adopted better also her dad was blown up in front of her. Miriallia, and Murrue had their lovers die and they weren't moping around.] The point is Kira was the only one who moped around while everyone else had a crapper life than he did, which is what an emo kid is. (middle-class teen who has a nice life but is sad for no reason.) When they were in Orb he had the opportunity to spend a day with his parents but he didn't because he "didn't want to see him for depressed reasons." Meanwhile Flay had to stay since she had no more family. Hello, he knew he was genetically altered his entire life, why does he have to get sad over it now? Half of the cast was genetically altered and you didn't see them crying themselves to sleep. Also, if he really hated killing people he didn't have to re-join the army. There wouldn't be a story, but he had the choice.
petran79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
so the emo vs trendy debate enters also into anime territory.

I guess I'll drop my sociology books and watch anime.......

btw heres an interesting poll

http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/3386072/what-group-are-you-chav-rocker-skater-emo-goth-trendy-prepy-ect
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
greyhawk wrote:

I'm thinking you might be "Emo" yourself because only a "Emo" would get so pissed off over someones simple opinion on the internet that they would threaten to kill them.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:

Hm, turns out I'm an emo. But then, 83% of the people who took the quiz are too...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
petran79 wrote:

Hm, turns out I'm an emo. But then, 83% of the people who took the quiz are too...

That quiz was loaded. It had multiple questions on skating, and even more on clothes. The bias being, if you don't skate and you don't wear Nike, then you're emo. I am "emo" even though I answered "no" to the questions like "Do you have a fringe that covers one eye?", and "Do you wear tight jeans?" The quiz gets 1/10.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
It took him how long to finally break up with her? Even if a non-popular guy had the chance to be with an attractive popluar girl, if he had self-esteem he wouldn't be with her long.

But again, you're talking about self esteem. What does that have to do with being overly emotional or whiny? (Also, I'm afraid that all too often guys will accept bitchiness if it comes with looks and popularity. It's not really an issue of self esteem. Thats kinda getting off point though).

Quote:
spoiler[He was the only main character to have his family still alive at the end of the series, and he couldn't stop crying! Well, his real parents were dead a long time ago but he never knew them. Cagalli took being adopted better also her dad was blown up in front of her. Miriallia, and Murrue had their lovers die and they weren't moping around.]
But spoiler[Mu didn't die until right at the end and in the brief bit afterwards Murrue was really upset. As for Miriallia, unless you don't consider trying to gut somebody with a knife upset...]

Quote:
Hello, he knew he was genetically altered his entire life, why does he have to get sad over it now? Half of the cast was genetically altered and you didn't see them crying themselves to sleep.

Well, for starters they weren't modified in the same way as him. More importantly though, that half of the cast were fighting together against the naturals. Kira was forced to fight against them and even his old friends for the naturals, many of whom hated and feared people like him.

Quote:
Also, if he really hated killing people he didn't have to re-join the army. There wouldn't be a story, but he had the choice.

But thats why he was torn. He didn't want to kill but he had to in order to protect his friends.
LantisEscudo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Obviously, the only true King of the Animes is the Otaking!
ilkz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
emo... saw that word been tossed around on the internet but I never got what's meaning of it. I am 22 year old and I am already feeling old.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
Emo is a style of music, not a state of being.

Idiots.
petran79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:

Idiots.

who said it was a state of being? Here only one meaning of the word is used. same goes for metal. I remember those who heard metal were much more harshly treated than the emos .I remember they accused them of being satanists etc during the 80s. So metal and rock had that denunciating tone too.

I put the quiz to show that today among youths there are many variations of sub-culture. Not only that but even the language is completely different. I wouldnt understand anything of the slang phrases.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
When a word goes from this...
ikillchicken wrote:
I would apply it to cases where a character is overly and unnecessarily emotional and sulky.

DemonEyesLeo wrote:
OK, yes it's short for "emotional" but it refers to specific emotions, that of grief, sadness and confusion over trivial things (most prominent being dumped by a girl). Besides that, the word was used only to describe a style of rock music characterized by lyrics dealing with said issues, high pitched, whiny vocals and simple, light punk influenced riffing. But the use has been overblown and now it's being applied to all emotions, as if the only way to not be "emo" is to be a hollow shell of a human being.

Urban Dictionary wrote:
When used as an adjective, emo generally refers to an individual who is either over-emotional or tends to exaggerate situations

...to this...
Kenotic wrote:
emo = showing any negative emotion

Kimyo wrote:
emo=cute, thoughtful boys

blind_assassin wrote:
No matter how you use it, he's emo. He questions the value of his life, is socially retarded because of how sad he is, cries constantly, and is generally a wimp.

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
In my understanding of the term: "emo" generally refers to middle-class to upper-middle class adolescents who feel that their lives are either too "soft" or "meaningless", so they imagine sufferings that they feel they must be going through, or magnify any inconvenience 10x in order for their lives to have "meaning".

zanarkand princess wrote:
I have been called emo for showing no emotion at all.

Space Butler XIII wrote:

...you know the word has lost it's meaning.

daxomni wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
Maybe it's my age, but I never hear the word "emo" bandied about.
Me either.

Me three. The first and only time I spoke about it was when a friend of mine was explaining this new word to me a few years ago. My response:
- Hm... There is already a pejorative term that defines everything you just said.
- Really?
- Yep.
- What is it?
- Gay.

I'm starting to think that emo is just the politically correct version of gay. Despite this disguise, emo is still strongly related to gender and sexuality. It seems that all men should be cool like Spike Spiegel, Sasuke, L, and Lelouch. They have to be manly like Kamina, Onizuka, Guts, and Kenshiro. Or else you're emo. Funny thing is that the guys watching them couldn't be less likely associated to any of these characters.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
actuly yes i have felt "moe" for someone once. One of my friends was really sad that she had to break up with her boyfriend so i said to her " oh don't worry everything will be alright im sure of it" in a really happy tone...i felt stupid after i said that ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6