• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Precure, Digimon 02 Added to Direct2Drive Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.

Of course you would. Because when you aren't whining about children's cartoons on the internet, you're some kind of deadly international assassin. Rolling Eyes
I prefere the title "Sweary Ninja for hire", thank you.

But yeah, this is bunk nonsecne from Toei anyway.

But "Hikaru", yikes...maybe I don't want thems sorts of fansubs.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
I don't get the appeal of selling PreCure online in the US for Toei. I mean, the whole point of the show is to make little girls (and weird otaku) buy the Merch - the magical cell phone thing, the plushie mascots, etc. I found myself making a potential shopping list when sampling the show.

With online-only distribution as opposed to on TV, they're hitting the weird otaku market over the larger little girl market, so they're not getting nearly as many people wanting to buy their highly profitable plastic crap... WTF TOEI?!?!?

Because they can't. Toei Animation's been trying to get "Pretty Cure" on American T.V. for a while now, but nobody wants girls' cartoons. So they're settling with what they can get.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh boy, I can't wait to support the industry with lagitimate purchaces of subtiled media that I want!

What's this? US and Canada only? Why, go f*** yourself, Toei, I'm going back to D*** fansubs to watch Digimon uncensored.
Remember, Toei, you could of had my £15 but you had to go and do region bockclocking.

No one, and I mean no one, can c*** it up fantasticly quite like how Toei can.

EDIT: Well screw that, I can't now because D*** are the decent bunch that follow the rule of "Is out and uncut". The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.

Don't blame Toei Animation. I mean how many good popular partners are out there that they can turn to that don't rely on region-blocking? Seriously, I see so many people bad-mouthing Toei Animation about this when it's not really their fault and it's ridiculous.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
By the way, if anyone wants to write Toei and ask for a DVD release of PreCure besides me, I whitepaged their U.S. division mailing address:

TOEI Animation Inc
11150 W Olympic Boulevard 1150
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Let's all write some polite letters for DVD releases of Precure!

To be honest, the people in that office have no say in whether the shows get a DVD release. You'd be better writing letters directly to Japan.

I did my part and talked to Toei representatives at the Tokyo Anime Fair at least, telling them that a lot of people wanted a DVD release.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps in doing this is another step closer to actually having them uncut on disks Smile I would be sooooo happy Smile

And yes, I for once love the series still purely for nostalgia. I also find that seeing them in Japanese is a whole new experience because in many cases, the dialogue is completely different! It's great^^
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Agh, man! I'd happily buy DVDs of Digimon either subbed or the old cut dub, but my computer is so unreliable for playing videos it'd be a waste of my money buy them... I hope someone releases them on DVD someday. I actually even bought the horrible American Digimon movie just so I could have something of the show that got me into anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
Bought the first 15 Digimon 02's and the first Pretty Cure.

It's really disappointing all the episodes they put up for all their shows have really REALLY horrible video quality.
Yes, the video quality is indeed horrible. Watching the first episode of Pretty Cure.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
hollow: It ain't Takeuchi who's holding up Sailor Moon here.

hikaru: PPG ain't hip, either, and that didn't stop it from making money.

Celes: I thought Toei tried to steal her rights from under her.

sailor: If Toei really cared what we thought, it wouldn't take FUNimation three years to get One Piece. Rolling Eyes
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
hollowmoon wrote:
If Toei really wanted to make a killing they'd put Sailor Stars up for release.

Indeed, but only on DVD.

I'd watch ad-supported downloads, but, if I'm paying, I want a hard copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
HIkaru is a one time typo, the rest of the time it's Hikari.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Given that the fansubbers were able to do 140 MB DVD-quality Pretty Cure episodes, the 336MB file size of episode 1 looks stupid.
Dreaming Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Agh, man! I'd happily buy DVDs of Digimon either subbed or the old cut dub, but my computer is so unreliable for playing videos it'd be a waste of my money buy them... I hope someone releases them on DVD someday. I actually even bought the horrible American Digimon movie just so I could have something of the show that got me into anime.

I bought the movie too(I really wish that there was more merchandise available!), and I would kill to get the episodes on DVD.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
There's probably not any guarantee of them finishing Pretty Cure, is there? If I spend money on the first episodes (which I really want to do, as I'm a devout mahou shoujo fangirl who tries to avoid fansubs), I'm a little worried they'll leave me hanging.

There's no guarantee they'll finish anything, as Toei doesn't have a great record for that kind of thing in R1. There's also no guarantee your computer won't crash and need to be replaced or that the D2D service won't one day shut down, thus meaning you just wasted a lot of money on something that you'll no longer be able to watch. All in all, this is just a bad service and a bad way to deliver product. But as most people don't care, more power to them. I've got the fansubs and if something becomes available that is DRM free that will allow me to actually own what I'm paying for (and actually be better than the fansubs - so far what's offered is far inferior), I'll support them.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Given that the fansubbers were able to do 140 MB DVD-quality Pretty Cure episodes, the 336MB file size of episode 1 looks stupid.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad to know that I'm clearly more knowledgeable about video encoding than a multi-million dollar anime studio.

A part of me is wondering now if Toei is actually gimping the video quality on purpose... From what firecrouch said, the people are just sending the videos to Japan to get encoded, and they are using the same process as is used for the videos they put up on the Japanese download-to-rent websites. I wouldn't be surprised if they knowingly make sure the quality is less than DVD for those rental files to prevent people from stealing them in Japan, and the side-effect is we get the same crappy video on our download-to-OWN files in R1.
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
It isn't the same process, it is the same encodes just with subtitles added.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6