• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
3)
She blushes when she DOES pet a cat. The only thing in the show that was cute to her was Chiyo and animals, and she only blushed at Chiyo when Chiyo was in the penguin suit.
Sakaki also blushed when she imagined Chiyo wearing ribbons in her birthday episode.

She also blushed when she imagined Chiyo in the cat suit in episode 11. Omega kawaii!!

And yes Kaorin is perhaps bisexual, but the love for Sakaki is indeed pure.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, even if she isn't a hardcore lesbian theres still a very defined line between worshiping a person as an idol and having fantises about them. As far as the whole Chiyo in a penguin suit, you don't have to be into beastility to think is cute but I know where your heading with this, though she really could just be one of those people who let there animal eat with them at the dinner table. Maybe I don't want to think about her getting off on some animal...now if she were masochist it wouldn't bother me at all.Wink
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
No blood - Its a kids show, I don't think there is any blood in it whatsoever.

I'm not 100% certain, but if my memory serves me right I think I remember hearing it originally aired around three in the morning. What kids are going to be up late enough to watch it? The manga was also serialized in Dengeki Daioh, a popular moe magazine.

Yeah, I think it's one of those shows that, while it seems obviously aimed at a target audience, it attracts a completely different group of fans. AzuDai does look like it's obviously a kid show, but kids don't seem to like it that much; it's the otaku that do Laughing

Seems to be the same sort of thing as shows like Strawberry Panic, which is obviously a shoujo among shoujos in style, but still attracts a much larger audience from the otaku and young male audience than the target audience for the series (though in both cases, you could argue quite persuasively that the animators were well aware of this... "phenomenon"... when they were deciding which shows to produce) Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
but still attracts a much larger audience from the otaku and young male audience than the target audience for the series

Really? Most AzuDai fans I know in real life are female.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
well... I was specifically refering to Strawberry Panic with that comment... but I'd bet it's true for AzuDai too. My point was just that the series look like they're obviously designed for one target audience, but for whatever reason find tons of fans in a different audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
which totally explains the pride colors. D:

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about here... Now where's Zac's pancake bunny picture when you need it...?

EDIT: Thanks to PantsGoblin for the info (and the grammar correction Anime hyper ).

Last edited by Ramadahl on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Now where's Zacs pancake bunny picture when you need it...?

Not really "Zac's" pancake bunny. The bunny has been around for a while (although, dead now).
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Kouji wrote:
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
3)
She blushes when she DOES pet a cat. The only thing in the show that was cute to her was Chiyo and animals, and she only blushed at Chiyo when Chiyo was in the penguin suit.
Sakaki also blushed when she imagined Chiyo wearing ribbons in her birthday episode.

She also blushed when she imagined Chiyo in the cat suit in episode 11. Omega kawaii!!

And yes Kaorin is perhaps bisexual, but the love for Sakaki is indeed pure.

Sakaki blushes when she sees and/or thinks of something cute. or when she's embarassed. anyone can like animals or think they're cute without being made out to be into bestiallity. she also thinks that cats are especially cute. and i thought chiyo was to cute while she was in the peguin suit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about here... Now where's Zacs pancake bunny picture when you need it...?
Exactly. Bestiality, lesbianism. These tossers need to get out more.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about here... Now where's Zacs pancake bunny picture when you need it...?

There is so much evidence for the homosexuality though!

As far as pride colors goes, I'm referring to the spectrum of the rainbow (the pride color, as in gay pride) that appears in a lot of Kaorin's dreams/fantasies
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

As far as pride colors goes, I'm referring to the spectrum of the rainbow (the pride color, as in gay pride) that appears in a lot of Kaorin's dreams/fantasies
So that is all you can think of when ever you see a rainbow? The prosecution rests M'lard.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

So that is all you can think of when ever you see a rainbow? The prosecution rests M'lard.

Considering the other symbols and the diolog protrayed I think it's appropriate to associate the symbol with the connotation that's in discussion. In addition, I said the spectrum of the rainbow, not a rainbow it's self. One example I believe was fireworks who's tails were the spectrum of a rainbow (checks ep 6), yup that's what it was. I don't see why it's not a possibility.
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Hold on a minute. We really ought to verify that the rainbow has the same symbolic value in Japan. I doubt it, but y'all could prove me wrong...
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:

Hold on a minute. We really ought to verify that the rainbow has the same symbolic value in Japan. I doubt it, but y'all could prove me wrong...

pretty sure the pride color is international...
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
pretty sure the pride color is international...

Most likely true within the gay-rights movement. However, Unlike the US, UK, etc, Japan seems to be a society in which minority social movements have much less sway. I'd be curious to know if this symbol carries much weight to the casual observer in Japan. [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11