• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
really, if you don't believe she's a lesbian since they never flat out say it, that's fine, but it's not foolish based on the hints they give us to think she is/maybe one.

Well then, is it foolish for those who think otherwise to suspect that based on the hints given that those who think Kaorin is a lesbian are searching for evidence just a little too desperately?
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
pieisexactlythree wrote:
Well, that's where you end up when you push this line of argument.

Why do you need to push the line of argument to it's extreme? Is it so hard to just leave something as is?

Hisdon wrote:
Tomo, epside 14, asks one of the teachers about relationships with men.

Uhuh, so Tomo expressed some curiosity about guys. Wow. Not really the point either. People were just pointing out the (I would've thought) obvious fact that just because a girl doesn't show an interest in guys doesn't necessarily imply that she's a lesbian.

You miss the point. I don't need to push the argument at all. In fact, I think it's utterly bogus. Rather, I was pointing out that this is where you would end up if you did. The point is that this sort of inductive argument is actually quite silly, and leads to some bizare hypotheses.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Haha don't they Razz I for one think its fine that you guys don't think she's a lesbian, like I said earlier we all interpret things diffrently. I just dont know why you guys are thinking we are frantically trying to find evidence, after all its not like they try to hide any of it. You guys keep saying we are flat out wrong (Ramadahl and Mohawk52-sorry didn't mean to call you out Razz) when you can't know that for sure til someone goes and talks to the creators of the series, and we can't prove you wrong either we can only provide evidence, but at least we never said that she was gay, period. We let you have your opinions let us have ours. Not trying to kill the disscusion or anything but theres no reason to think we are foolish for thinking she could be gay.

Last edited by omar235 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well then, is it foolish for those who think otherwise to suspect that based on the hints given that those who think Kaorin is a lesbian are searching for evidence just a little too desperately?

You don't have to over-analyze the situation and search obsessively for evidence to suspect that Kaorin is gay. I watched Azumanga with my innocent six year old brother, and at one point during the show even he turned to me and asked, "Does that girl like other girls?"
It's pretty obvious that she's at the very least bisexual. The comparison of Kaorin to Smithers from the Simpsons in one of the earlier pages was dead on. There's plenty of evidence that she could possibly be gay, and none that I could see to the contrary. Those who think Kaorin is not a lesbian are searching for evidence just a little too desperately.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:

You don't have to over-analyze the situation and search obsessively for evidence to suspect that Kaorin is gay. I watched Azumanga with my innocent six year old brother, and at one point during the show even he turned to me and asked, "Does that girl like other girls?"
It's pretty obvious that she's at the very least bisexual. The comparison of Kaorin to Smithers from the Simpsons in one of the earlier pages was dead on. There's plenty of evidence that she could possibly be gay, and none that I could see to the contrary. Those who think Kaorin is not a lesbian are searching for evidence just a little too desperately.

your brother is gonna be good w/ litature! Razz
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
You miss the point. I don't need to push the argument at all. In fact, I think it's utterly bogus. Rather, I was pointing out that this is where you would end up if you did. The point is that this sort of inductive argument is actually quite silly, and leads to some bizare hypotheses.

*looks up inductive reasoning*
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood. v_v

omar235 wrote:
You guys keep saying we are flat out wrong (Ramadahl and Mohawk52-sorry didn't mean to call you out Razz) when you can't know that for sure til someone goes and talks to the creators of the series, and we can't prove you wrong either we can only provide evidence, but at least we never said that she was gay, period.

Actually, as I said back on page 5 of this discussion;
Ramadahl wrote:
Course, there isn't a right or wrong answer here (unless someone goes and asks Kiyohito Azuma), it's all interpretive.

This is just a conflict of differing interpretations Razz

Wolverine Princess wrote:
Those who think Kaorin is not a lesbian are searching for evidence just a little too desperately.

Not quite. In fact I'm not searching for any evidence at all. I'm just debunking any "evidence" that others are bringing up to try to show that she is. Because at the moment it seems people are bringing up a few scenes, reading way too much into them, and taking things to logical extremes. And this kind of overreactionary responce seems all to common in today's society, so I'm not too surprised that a six-year-old could make the leap from "girl likes another girl" to "OMFG LESBO!!" (paraphrased, I know...).
It's obvious that Kaorin has a crush on Sakaki (I don't think anyone has denied this?), but it's quite a leap to go from saying that to saying "Kaorin's sexual orientation is towards women".
I'll throw out the example of Wakaba from Revolutionary Girl Utena (the TV series - not the movie, which is rather odd). At the start of the series Wakaba quite often glomps Utena, saying she loves her, wants to marry her, etc. but it's quite obvious (and later proven) that she's hetrosexual. She just has a fangirl crush (because Utena's so cool) which evaporates once a guy she likes happens along. This seem pretty much analogous to Kaorin's situation in Azumanga.

Hisdon wrote:
your brother is gonna be good w/ litature!

The irony...
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh. Serious business. Kaorin likes girls. To say it's "quite a leap" to say she does is a pretty bad statement. If I plunge my face into a chocolate cake and start gnarling away at it, would it be a huge leap to say "Mint likes chocolate"? Kaorin has an attraction to a girl. By definition, this makes her a lesbian. Since this subject actually hits very close to home (hi mom), I seriously don't think the chain of thought is all that irrational.

Ramadahl wrote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Worst anime possible to use as a counter-example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Kaorin likes girls. To say it's "quite a leap" to say she does is a pretty bad statement.

There's a world of difference between a girl having a schoolgirl crush on another girl and said girl being sexually oriented towards women. And using "likes" here is fairly weak, it's too ambiguous.

Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Worst anime possible to use as a counter-example.

Point taken, but the specific part I was focusing works very well as an example. If it makes things easier for you, ignore the title and focus on the content that I was referencing.
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Mint, I respect your empiricism on this matter, but there's one rather unique factor you haven't taken into account. Kaorin doesn't like girls plural, she likes a girl. This perhaps pushes it into the realm of "I'd go gay for _____." I think gender and sexual orientation become secondary concerns when this level of obsession is at work. If Sakaki were transformed into an animal, a la the Sohma family, Kaorin would probably "go bestial."
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
If Sakaki were transformed into an animal, a la the Sohma family, Kaorin would probably "go bestial."

Ugh, please don't bring that up again. I mean I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. I for one don't see any of that aspect, at all. But if Mint does, he does, I just think he is wrong.

As far as Kaorin being a lesbian, Bi, or infatuated with Sakaki only, I think are all reasonable assumptions. And I don't really disagree with any of them.

What do I think, well I think she is infatuated.

On a sexual front what do I think, I think Kaorin would go as far as Sakaki would let her. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll rephrase my previous statements on Kaorin being gay and say this: Even if she isn't (considered/or is) lesbian now, with the level of infatuation she has with Sakaki theres a strong possibility she soon will be. Oh and I'm too tired to go back and look at the posts to see who talked about this but someone mentioned that since Kaorin dosen't show the same interest in the other girls she isn't gay, but you are forgeting the crush she has on is Sakaki why would she show interest in the other girls...none of the other girls are even on her radar.
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
On a sexual front what do I think, I think Kaorin would go as far as Sakaki would let her. Smile

Glad we're on the same page there. Concerning Sakaki's bestial desires, I wouldn't put money on it, really. I think it's one of those "Think about it. ^__^" theories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pieisexactlythree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
You all have obviously put a lot of thought into this. So whip out that slashfic you've been working on!
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
pieisexactlythree wrote:
You all have obviously put a lot of thought into this. So whip out that slashfic you've been working on!

I could just post a bunch of AzuDai hentai.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
As for Kaorin, it's obvious that she's a fan of Sakaki to the point of the obsession. As was stated before, it's one of those "I'd go gay for ____." things.

As for Sakaki and licking herself, it's a common belief in Japan that licking your WOUNDS (as in they don't have to be bleeding) helps them heal faster. As for the way she acts around animals in general, someone stated that the others (other than the girl with the dog) probably don't have pets, but that might be because they don't want one, with Sakaki she CAN'T have one (if I remember correctly her parents are allergic to them). now add the fact that she even wants to be a veterinarian and likes cute things but was never cute herself and you start to see why she acts the way she does.

As for everyone that has their minds in the gutter.../wrists
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11