• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Emma Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
snl67 wrote:
The truth is it won't likely sell enough to support the cost of the dub.

The truth is if a British-accented English dub is announced, sales of the Japanese-only R2JP DVD will drop dead.

So you are saying the Japanese themselves would want this dubbed? If that is the case, why not have the R2 licensor do a dub and offer it on Blu-Ray? That could be played here as well as there, and I'd be willing to consider importing something like that. Anyway, I am not saying I won't end up buying the show, it just has to blow me away to consider it with no dub.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode (on a newtype usa dvd) and I was surprised there was no dub I thought that a series set in england should have a dub but I got used to it half way though. I think that they figured it was a niche series so a dub wouldn't be needed. They might have been surprised that people loved it. I am in the minority here though It didn't blow me away even after seeing more episodes and even though I usually prefer an anime with a good story rather than robots fighting for no reason or annoying girls running after oblivious boys or the other way around I just couldn't get into this one. I found the character design a bit unappealing and I don't really like the story pacing (even though I am usually patient with that.) In the end I just didn't like it. Crying or Very sad

(stands back for fear of flame ^-^)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
So you are saying the Japanese themselves would want this dubbed? If that is the case, why not have the R2 licensor do a dub and offer it on Blu-Ray? That could be played here as well as there, and I'd be willing to consider importing something like that.

They might consider releasing a Blu-ray with English dub -- after the first press DVDs have run out their life cycles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
You know how you can tell a series is really special? When your anime-hating mother can't wait for the next installment. ;- )

Emma is such a fantastic manga and anime series, the characters are so charming and special, it can ensnare even the most dubious non-fans. It's not just a wonderful anime series, it's a wonderful series, period. Smile

It's absolutely worth the price, dub or no. Please support this delightful little show. I know you'll love it. Buy it just to meet Hakim! He's AWESOME. Mr. Green
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
You know, but that's my gripe about the dub. I understand the economic argument, and the reverse importation argument, and etc., but I could get probably half a dozen people to watch this who would never watch animated anything... if it were in English. The people who like, went out of their way to find Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon dubbed.

O'well. I still like it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Baccano is set in Depression era New York and Emma is set in 1880s England. Not getting on the dub vs. sub debate, sometimes it seems the essence of an anime show set in America or England can be enhanced by using the dubbed version of the English in that time frame. Understandable 1880s English may be hard for an American dub but if they used Manga UK's dubbing pool, it may be different.
CuteyHoney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Hear, hear! (clink!)

I third that!
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Understandable 1880s English may be hard for an American dub but if they used Manga UK's dubbing pool, it may be different.

NO Anime company (or whatever company who distributes foreign stuff into English) are going to use British voice actors to dub ANYTHING. (Maybe Canadian VAs, like Ocean Studios) but almost anybody that I know agree that British voice acting really sucks (and I agree with that, after seeing those badly dubbed anime like Angel Cop)
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
NO Anime company (or whatever company who distributes foreign stuff into English) are going to use British voice actors to dub ANYTHING. (Maybe Canadian VAs, like Ocean Studios) but almost anybody that I know agree that British voice acting really sucks (and I agree with that, after seeing those badly dubbed anime like Angel Cop)

Given that the likes of Disney, Pixar and DreamWorks all use British voice actors regularly (and that there are vast numbers of British actors working in non-theatrical animation and in radio plays), I presume that what you meant to say was that no anime company is going to use the same pool of voice actors that Manga UK was using in the 1990s.
Tenar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
For me, no dub = no sale.

I'm really disappointed. I bought every one of the Emma manga. I loved the manga. But without a dub I won't buy the series on dvd.
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenar wrote:
For me, no dub = no sale.

I'm really disappointed. I bought every one of the Emma manga. I didn't really like the manga. Without a dub I won't buy the series on dvd.

FTFY.

Because seriously, you can't have liked it that much if you're not going to buy it just because it doesn't have a dub.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Quote:
Dickens, Austen and Bronte being my three favorite authors, this is right up my alley, but don't let the time period scare you. This is just plain lovely.

Which Bronte? There were three of them, after all (though chances are pretty good it's not Anne).

And yes, Jane Austen died twenty years too early to be Victorian.

Actually it's Charlotte Bronte, and though I've read the books by Anne and Emily as well, (and enjoyed Agnes Grey) there's no beating Jane Eyre for me.

Never said Jane Austen was a Victorian, but for clarity's sake I declare my post includes Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian authors. Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

About half of the English-language cast for Hellsing are British actors.

Research, people.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
most Brits cant really help sounding cheesy when their putting on american accents.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My biggest issue was the dishonesty by Right Stuf when they licensed it in there reason for not dubbing it. I think most fans would prefer the truth up front whether they agree with the decision or not. (As I recall, they originally said they "might" do one later if they could find the right cast of British accents/voices. The truth is it won't likely sell enough to support the cost of the dub.)

This is not what I said at all. I stated that we didn't feel that it would support the cost of a dub, and on top of that, if we were to do a dub, we'd want it to be authentic, which would increase the cost even more.

This quote was taken out of context at the time and I have never waivered from what I originally stated - that this show would probably not have the reach necessary to support the cost of the dubbing and remain profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4