• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 07-23-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
This series just keeps being awesome even with a different artist. (Is Robin still coming up with the scenarios and such?)

Robin is definitely in on the creative process from each strip's conception and helped write the scenarios. I'm just trying to make her busy life a little easier by taking over drawing duties for a couple of weeks.

You did a nice very nice job Cloe. Very Happy
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper This strip was hilarious =3
I look forward to the next one Anime smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I just think it would have helped if you mentioned it was her. Not everyone knows who the creator of Rose of Versailles is, much less if she's a middle aged lady or not, or what she looks like, and could have thought that was the event host, a voice actress, or something similar.

Even without looking up her profile in the ANN Encyclopedia, it would be fairly easy to identify that Ikada-sensei is one of the two females at the center of the picture (one who doesn't even know Ikeda-sensei is female should not even participate the discussion). Just for the record, the other younger female in her 30s was the event host, and the two businessmen are the Japanese company representative and event director, respectively.

Michi wrote:
I mean, in the first picture there's a handful of non-cosplayers and it's really unclear what you were trying to point out without prior knowledge of Riyoko Ikeda's appearance. Not everyone cares that much about mangaka, unfortunately.

Which was why I uploaded the second photo, in which Ikeda-sensei was the only person sitting on a chair, while people around her are either standing or kneeling. I'm not sure how average Westerners would take on this, but anyone who has a bit of cultural awareness should realize immediately that the sitting person is a special guest/VIP, and if I couldn't recognize the individual yet expecting s/he is related to the discussion I'd at least fire up Google, Wikipedia, and ANN's Encyclopedia first.

Zac wrote:
Don't be a snot about it. Expecting people to recognize her is silly.

Point taken. I'll try to lower my standards and expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Point taken. I'll try to lower my standards and expectations.

Maybe you misunderstood me, I said "don't be a snot about it", not "please, continue to be a snot about it".
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I've got to read Rose of Versailles one of these days.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'm not sure how average Westerners would take on this, but anyone who has a bit of cultural awareness should realize immediately that the sitting person is a special guest/VIP, and if I couldn't recognize the individual yet expecting s/he is related to the discussion I'd at least fire up Google, Wikipedia, and ANN's Encyclopedia first.

No, it's really not explicitly clear that a sitting person is a special guest/VIP. Even then, the way you presented the pictures didn't make it clear. It just looked like you were showing some RoV cosplayers, not showing evidence of Ikeda + cosplayers. That's all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
I too, would like to see what Myoopi's role in this story is.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
5th panel: Nina looks like MJ on crack Shocked (no offence to the artist in anyway)
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow gotta give kudos for referencing an anime that's 30 years old that probably only 5% of anime fans have actually seen. I'd love to see it remastered and released on dvd here in the US.
810h4z4rd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
i seriously thought this comic was a reference to Shoujo Kakumei Utena. but I've yet to see rose of versailles though.
ilkz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
I have the feeling that most of the fans have never watched the classics, which is a shame :S

Classics include lotz different things, I think most fans prefer the mecha starfleet + dragon magic sword classic over the knight and Princess classic. Anime is a diverse media it has everything in store for "everyone".
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Stop spreading baseless rumors.

Although you have presented a strong suggestion that she's okay with it, it's not proof. She might have agreed to have her picture taken with the cosplayers out of politeness, even though she may not like what they were doing.

The "rumors' aren't "baseless". By definition they are very much otherwise.

I have no idea what the truth of the matter is.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Although you have presented a strong suggestion that she's okay with it, it's not proof. She might have agreed to have her picture taken with the cosplayers out of politeness, even though she may not like what they were doing.

Sending a message to WCS in order to disqualify a group of cosplayers just because she doesn't like them doing so, while praising another group of cosplayers out of politeness, even against her true feelings? I dunno... people can behave illogically, but this is just way too... disproportionate.

tempest wrote:
The "rumors' aren't "baseless". By definition they are very much otherwise.

May I know who was the one announcing the disqualification of RoV cosplayers due to Ikeda-sensei's personal wish back in WCS 2005? At least I heard her praising cosplayers right from her own mouth at TIBE 2008, even if it might be just out of courtesy.

tempest wrote:
I have no idea what the truth of the matter is.

Guess only Ikeda-sensei knows (shrug).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I am hoping that Myoopi shows up as a horse in the next strip. Can you just imagine how strange he could/would be as a horse? Imagine Nina, all serious as a fighter, riding away into the sunset on top of a giant white lump of lard. That would be such a memorable end. Of course, Myoopi could subvert my expectations, and appear as a magnificent stallion that has everyone gasping.

dormcat wrote:
Repeated use of Ikeda-sensei

It would appear (to a westerner like myself) that you think highly of her. And you know what? That's fine by me. I confess to having zero knowledge on Manga/Anime history and key Manga/Anime figures. We younger generation just don't appreciate the hard work of those who went before us. Therefore, I am pleased that this week's strip (and the next one I presume) focused on a true classic. It's odd, in that I recognised that it was referencing RoV even though I've never watched a single episode of it, nor read the Manga. Talk about a win for the classics (and those that penned them).
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I like this one... it reminds me of the comic in which Nina get's scarred from a piece of plastic packaging jammed into her face, and it made her feel all heroic... Very Happy

Excellent team effort!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5