• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Strategic Blunders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I have SCIV preordered and paid off- the Xbox 360 limited edition, thank you- but I'm still a smidge worried that Namco cared more about the breasts than the gameplay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Strategy games were quite common in the 90's. Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Orge Battle were the most popular games of that era.

Recently I purchased Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimore of Rift and really enjoy this game. But despite the fact I enjoy Bleach, I collect the manga's, watch English episodes via televison and on occasion read fanfiction of Bleach.

So even if the strategy version of Bleach comes out, I don't really think I'll buy it. Yes I think the Bankai arc was awesome and I really am enjoying the Bount arc as well, so being content with both the telvision and manga editon are good enough for now. Maybe I'll rent it, but only to see what the game play is like.

Excellent article Tod, I look forward to next week's column.
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the years since Princess Maker hit it big (with its sequel actually seeing a U.S. release)

Princess Maker 2 was never actually released over here it was cancelled due to controversy over a certain feature in the game's debug menu that allowed the player to view their "daughter" without any clothes on regardless of her current age. The author is no doubt mistaking the leaked beta of the English version that's available at various warez sites for evidence of an actual release.
toddc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Quote:
In the years since Princess Maker hit it big (with its sequel actually seeing a U.S. release)

Princess Maker 2 was never actually released over here it was cancelled due to controversy over a certain feature in the game's debug menu that allowed the player to view their "daughter" without any clothes on regardless of her current age. The author is no doubt mistaking the leaked beta of the English version that's available at various warez sites for evidence of an actual release.

Actually, I was mistaking reviews in old gaming magazines for evidence of a U.S. release. I remembered all of the gaming websites having it back in the '90s, so I always assumed it had been officially released.

Anyway, there was more to Princess Maker 2's cancellation than unwholesome debug menus. You can read the entire sad story here.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Why am I excited for Soul Calibur 4? Two words: Darth Vader! Very Happy
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
If you start playing your own music on the iPod before opening Song Summoner it'll keep streaming. You can't go through the menus to select songs, but the back and forwards keys work as normal to skip tracks. I didn't even realise it had it's own music...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Ah man 'Princess Maker' isn't coming over? Well, that sucks. But then again some things are best left in Japan. I do remember this game. Some friends way back used to play it on the PC. Of course the guy that owned it was Japanese. Didn't know that the guy that was responsible for it was the one that got in trouble at 'Gainax'. Didn't know it was a 'Gainax' creation. But then again 'Gainax' is the king of the otakus to they were into everything.

Bleach going tactical, interesting.

Lupin III game? Hey why not? There was 'Golgo'. I'm going to have to look this up online to see what this game was all about. I'm sure someone has it posted somewhere.

As for Square-Enix making a game for the iPod. Now that shocked the hell out of me. Folks are taking gaming to an all new level.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna respond to the Windy x Windam game. You weren't kidding when you said there was a creepily under-dressed boy/girl. Wow! That's about as bad as I've ever seen.

Still, the game looks... dare I say it... decent.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think anything bad can be said about the hopes that Soul Calibur 4 will be bringing. I've been a fan of the series since SCI, and have seen how the game has evolved over the years. Heck, the additions of Vader and Yoda is enough to want to get the game, forget everything else! Very Happy
mecfazz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
i bought both ps3 and 360. the 360 was for shooting games and ps3 for rpg's i never expected for that many rpg's on 360 i was wrong and im interested in getting the last remnant and especially infinite undiscovery.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I'm gonna respond to the Windy x Windam game. You weren't kidding when you said there was a creepily under-dressed boy/girl. Wow! That's about as bad as I've ever seen.

Aaarrrrggghh!!! My eyes! I can't unsee what I've seen!! Mad

Lets talk about happier things, shall we? How does Yoda/Darth Vader play? Fast/slow, strong/weak?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
kadian1364 wrote:
Lets talk about happier things, shall we? How does Yoda/Darth Vader play? Fast/slow, strong/weak?
Like an under dressed Boy/Girl....good god! Why!? Why did I research that website?Damn you Windy X Windam. Surprised

Soul Caliber 4 artwork make the pain go away. Very Happy
kona-chan13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Why am I excited for Soul Calibur 4? Two words: Darth Vader! Very Happy

don't you mean five?
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aaarrrrggghh!!! My eyes! I can't unsee what I've seen!!

Now I feel obligated to look it up...
Oh.
Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Quote:
Anyway, there was more to Princess Maker 2's cancellation than unwholesome debug menus. You can read the entire sad story here.

Poor guy. That sounds like a legal nightmare...
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

Quote:

Poor guy. That sounds like a legal nightmare...

Wow, that is a pretty crazy story. Worst of all, he got absolutely nothing out of it. The last line is pretty funny though:
"I've been a bad father, the daughter has turned out poorly. I am returning her to you now."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2