• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Venus Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunpeal83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
The movie was released in Europe by HKVideo with remastered and anamorphic transfer. Unfortunately only with french subtitles.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
Yas is by far my favorite director in the 80s and I really watched this film a number of times when it was released. The scene where Hiro has that race in the canyon is one of the most beautifully animated scenes and I love the sheer amount of motion in the cell animated backgrounds as well as all of the counter motions provided. Although not as "Buried" as Gorg or Arion this series was overlooked when released in the States. There is something so organic about Yas' designs that I find really appealing. I'm actually eying the four manga volumes (wedged between Yas' Nijiiro no Trotsky and Star of the Kurd) from my seat at the moment and think I'll give this series a read through since it has been years since I've read them.

I also love this and the Arion OST by Hisaishi (of Miyazaki fame) and would listen to this CD regularly.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
It was never released here in Oz, that I know of; it only turned up on the manga entertainment "what's happening!" trailer, with akira and a-ko and odin photon space sailor starlight.

My university had a collection of anime on import laserdisk; mostly absolute z-list crap like odin photon space sailor starlight and explorer woman ray and harmogeddon and ambassador magma, but a few actually-watchable titles here and there, like, well, venus wars.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Ah, The Venus Wars. For me it probably single-handedly made me the Anime Fan I am today.

See, back in the early 90s Anime wasn't really something I recognized, oh there was Voltron and Robotech, but I didn't know their origins at the time.
But then one Saturday Morning, I'm flipping through the channels, and stumbled upon this playing on the Sci-Fi channel. Being 13ish It pretty much blew my mind with its muture story and killer animation.

Time of course passes, the Anime explosion of the 90s takes place, with DBZ and Pokemon on everyone at school's tongue. I watch some of it, but don't really care for it. But in the back of my mind I keep reminding myself of Venus Wars and how muture by comparison it was. And maybe, just maybe, there's more like that out there.
So when I finally start poking around at the growing number of Anime DVD releases in the early 2000s I immediately start looking at the serious sci-fi stuff. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Macross Plus, Royal Space Force... loving all of it. And that's how I became an Anime Fan for real.

I have my copy of the CPM release, that I still watch periodically when I get the anime rewatch bug. Its not quite as great as I remember it, but its still excellent, and its essentially my first Anime. I would kill for a new remastered release.

EDIT: You know, I really should sit down and watch it Subbed. I've finally kicked my Dub habit and I've never watched it subbed.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
My university had a collection of anime on import laserdisk; mostly absolute z-list crap like odin photon space sailor starlight and explorer woman ray and harmogeddon and ambassador magma, but a few actually-watchable titles here and there, like, well, venus wars.

Shocked You probably didn't realize how precious they are, as many old titles you mentioned (no matter good or bad) were hard to find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Re: the video transfer. Why exactly did they go from NTSC to PAL and then back to NTSC in those old DVD releases?
mastertr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
From the looks of it, the license IS still owned by Central Park Media. Assuming that this is the same title (which it looks to be), it's still available in their catalog for sale for $9.95

http://centralparkmedia.com/cpmdb/cfcpm.cfm?Cat=USMD_2283
Togashi_D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
That buy online from our partner link takes you to TRSI where the page says no longer available. Crying or Very sad
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Re: the video transfer. Why exactly did they go from NTSC to PAL and then back to NTSC in those old DVD releases?

Because the Japanese licensor would provide the original master in NTSC. Manga UK did the dubbing, and they're all PAL, so they'd transfer to PAL and do all their video post-production to it. Then, for CPM, they wanted a copy of the dub with English credits and everything for US release. So, back to NTSC.

In the VHS days nobody could tell the difference. Reassembling that master purely in NTSC was an expensive procedure that required a $300/hr online editing suite, and that could have ended in disaster if the PAL audio fell out of sync with the NTSC video at some point.

This started being a problem when they begain doing DVDs. Not knowing any better, they used the VHS dub master as a starting point for most of their early releases (since the titles were already in English), unaware that DVD would expose the flaws that all the standards conversion put into the video. Really, few of the people on staff even remembered that they WERE PAL transfers.

And for the record, this WAS just fine in the early days of DVD. AnimeOnDVD gave this disc a fairly high video rating back in the day.

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Back when the Space channel in Canada still aired their Friday night anime block, Venus Wars was one of those titles aired. It was, sadly, the English dub version but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

Justin, when you say that the DVDs were printed from the dub masters, did the movie by any chance had the infamous "credit scrolling screen freeze" at the end? I have a copy of Legend of Lemnear on DVD that has that exact same problem.

And I still remember this movie for the brief bit of Miranda fanservice. Smile
AVPen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Add one more viewer who first saw this movie on SCI-FI's "Anime Saturday" (I do miss that series, although I don't miss all the censorship and cuts that they made to the films that they showed) .

wrote:
I don't visit those places... (you know, what for? Laughing ), but most users on AnimeOnDVD R3 (SE Asia) forum use JSDVD Mall, but I don't think you'll need it (see below)...

Thanks for the link - according to the currency converter that I used, the Proware DVD comes to about US$12.50 (also happy to hear that the subtitles are soft as opposed to hard)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Are you kidding? The dub was fine in my opinion. Now you're being too picky. Denica Fairman is my favorite actress.

I taped it, considering how much I loved it and the song, Shakunetsu no Circuit. Of course I know the TV airing did have something cut out due to nudity.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Heh, we still have the laserdisc at home for Venus Wars. And Humanoid, Crystal Triangle, and a couple others. Yay 80's!
I used to love this movie. I should pop it in at work tonight and see if it holds up in my opinion. Smile I try to get people to rent it but since it's so old, anime fans don't care anymore. It's depressing.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this on Sci-Fi channel... a good action title mixed in with bit of coming of age story and youth rebellion thrown in, great action sequences and Mecha design.

I do remember that the long gone sister publication to Protoculture Addicts, Mecha Press made the vehicle stats for the bike and the tank for one of the pen and paper Mecha RPG of the time (I think it was Mekton).

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Netflix appears to still have it. I've added it to the top of my list. It will be interesting to see the video quality on my large screen HDTV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3