• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds 20th Century Boys, Pluto Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
20th Century Boys has been licensed by Viz since they got Monster... Or were Viz just talking about the title as if they had it.
sixtopia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for Pluto! The story it's based on is one of the best from Astro Boy, so it will be interesting to see a modern version of.

If I like Pluto, I may consider giving Monster a try. I've shyed away from it because I never really liked master Keaton, but if Pluto can change my mind...
Jacut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Huh, it wasn't licenced in the States ? I didn't know that, I was quite sure it was ;o

By the way, I'm still waiting for the world premiere of the movie in Paris this summer !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, awesome news. I'll definitely be picking them both up! :]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So 20th Century Boys will be released immediately after Monster ends like some of us thought/hoped it would. That's great to hear. While not entirely surprising, at least it is now official.

In short, huzzah, some more Signature titles! Smile
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I stopped reading Monster, when Tenma argued about ethics, and then later admitted he cheated on his medical school test to be a doctor. It doesn't matter to me if he's a good doctor, anyway, or even if the test had nothing important to do with his education. If he chose not to learn anything from that class which he could use to save a person's life, I don't want him to operate on me or anyone else. Hell, even if he did learn something, if he can't apply it right, then he's a threat on the operating table.

Okay.

But a character's conflict and your bizarre hang-ups have absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

@Dargonxtc: Well, by the same token Death Note is ranked at eight. So those type of rankings aren't always reflective of quality.

On the other hand, the first two-thirds of 20th Century Boys is probably deserving of a top ten ranking. That material is the best work that Urasawa has ever done.

Don't skimp on Pluto, either! Certainly Urasawa's least flawed work (that I've read, anyway; haven't gotten around to Yawara).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
@Dargonxtc: Well, by the same token Death Note is ranked at eight. So those type of rankings aren't always reflective of quality.

Laughing

Very true! Funny you should say that, just last week I downgraded Death Note. Razz

At the same time though I doubt that any of the manga on that list are very bad either. So while not all-inclusive and comprehensive, it's still not a bad place to start either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. Viz Signature lines needs some new titles and these two will for sure work. I read the first volume of 20th Century Boys online and I can't wait until I can hold in my hands. Normally, I pick my manga because of reviews, good reception from fans, and if it sounds like something I would like to read. However, like Real and Cat Eyed Boy, I'll take a chance on Pluto just because I like the author's previous works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3