• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Bride's Story GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
I agree with you on so many points.

I guess in one way, though, I am in the minority in this series, since the scenes with Amir's family, and the tension and drama that whole situation creates, along with the fight in the village, are my least favorite thing about this work. Though, really, the more I think about it, the more I think it has more to do with Mori's skill in creating a character that I like so much, I don't want to see her suffer all that junk her family is putting her through. *shrug* I'm much more interested in the sumptuous artwork, the intricate anthropological insights, and the sweet, slowly blossoming romance between the two leads. (Incidentally, I thought the tickle scene was absolutely adorable!)

Mr. Smith and Pariyah are fast becoming favorites of mine, too. I'm hoping Mori gives us more of their stories.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
This is probably one of the best on the market. Too bad I haven't bought it. I have seen only volume one.

I do think that it may be a nod to realism that it is her husband who fights in the battle and not her. After all, it is the gender roles of 1890's.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm actually with you, Wyntre_Rose, on the family scenes. Both this and Emma (and to a lesser extent Shirley) are really about the history and anthropology for me. But the fight scenes won my middle sister over, and she just skimmed (i.e. looked at the pretty pictures) volume one because she got bored. So a little something for everyone, right?

I also agree with Anymouse - I suspect that it is a nod to historical accuracy. My only issue is that Amir hasn't been conforming to the village's sense of propriety - spoiler[bringing her husband a dead elk for dinner or shooting a bird out of the sky to thank Pariya] aren't exactly models of femininity for the time. So I guess I just want a little consistency.

I think we're going to get more Mr. Smith in the next volume (yay!), and I'm also hoping for a Pariya storyline. And Wyntre_Rose? Totally with you on the tickle scene. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I think we're going to get more Mr. Smith in the next volume (yay!)

Basically the entire volume 3 is devoted to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Good review, and I agree with all the points brought up. Wonderful art, interesting characters and setting. When its drawn like that the everyday life of people in a faraway land becomes incredibly interesting. It makes you pay attention to the details because the artist is paying attention to them.

The only problem I had was with Amir seeing Karluk more as a husband, it just felt a little too quick. I thought her reaction to her clan showing up was fine, after all she would feel confusion and perhaps a little fear over the situation. I imagine that some of her confusion would arise over who she felt loyalty or obligations towards. Would it be her old family or her new one? So her lack of assertiveness did not bother me.

As far as historical setting my initial impression was that the backdrop might have been around the time of the Crimean War (1850s?) since the British and Russians are mentioned.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I heard on the Manga Out Loud podcast that A Bride's Story might be a series of stories about different brides, which is chronicled by Mr. Smith traveling around (and this is mentioned in the author's notes, although it is unclear whether this is permanent or a temporary detour). While this would be interesting, and I'm sure Mori would do a wonderful job, I would be sad to leave Amir and her new family behind.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
They should adapt this into live-action, suits well for a realistic period setting.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I'm actually with you, Wyntre_Rose, on the family scenes. Both this and Emma (and to a lesser extent Shirley) are really about the history and anthropology for me. But the fight scenes won my middle sister over, and she just skimmed (i.e. looked at the pretty pictures) volume one because she got bored. So a little something for everyone, right?

Absolutely. Smile

Quote:

I think we're going to get more Mr. Smith in the next volume (yay!)

This makes me VERY happy. Can't wait!!

Quote:

Wyntre_Rose? Totally with you on the tickle scene. Smile

Very Happy

There aren't many mangaka whose work I will buy, sight unseen, but Kaoru Mori is certainly now one of them.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I think I heard on the Manga Out Loud podcast that A Bride's Story might be a series of stories about different brides, which is chronicled by Mr. Smith traveling around (and this is mentioned in the author's notes, although it is unclear whether this is permanent or a temporary detour). While this would be interesting, and I'm sure Mori would do a wonderful job, I would be sad to leave Amir and her new family behind.

Oh man, I hope not... Sad
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

Oh man, I hope not... Sad

It does seem in some later chapters not yet published in the US they highlight some other girl characters, but it doesn't push Amir out of the focus... if you can call it a focus. Amir grew on me big time, and I wouldn't want to see her grow, but in general the idea of seeing this life from the point of view from other women (like Amir's baking buddy) is a big appeal to me. That's mainly the anthropology nerd in me wanting it, but I'm reading it for the art, story, and the historical nerdy-ness, so I'm happy either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1