• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the PS3/PSP exclusive was a bad thing. The rent only part is the bad thing. If it was download to own at those prices then it would be within the norm that people expect nowadays. If they had gotten US (including Puerto Rico), Canada and Japan stores running at the same time, then it would have been better.

As for right now, I just hope that the DVDs come out faster than what SONY did for Blood+.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Ok can we go after Crunchyroll now please??

Crunchyroll is totally legit. They even have filters set up to stop people in distribution regions that are not allowed to view the content. Almost every studio has an agreement of one form or another with Crunchyroll, and not just from Japan - from Korea and Vietnam and other countries too.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
How did this topic immediately go from discussing an arrest to talking about crunchyroll and Xam'd and the PS3? The article this is related to has nothing to do with any of those 3.

So does this mean the 3rd guy is going to get sentenced soon too, or is it just the 2?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Given that those Xam'd files are so easy to find, if Sony wants them off they can certainly issue the C&D. But this title is causing them a headache anyways because of the way it was marketed, it's no wonder that they aren't doing a thing yet. They've understandably pissed off their own customers. They have to fix those issues first.

Indeed really they should let people store it on there PS3. Some people are aying that $1.99 for a episode that has come out 4 MONTHS before japan is too much?? I can find that money lying round my house of course if ur tottaly broke then don't bother. But i swear even if they where asking for 1 cent to support the industery people would still go off and steal it. They find anime worthless
Most of them are 13 year olds that think paying 45 dollars for a boxset (or sometimes less depending on the retail store) is too much for anime.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Most of them are 13 year olds that think paying 45 dollars for a boxset (or sometimes less depending on the retail store) is too much for anime.

45 is a lot for many 13 year olds. I give my sister an allowance (she is 14) and she pretty much spends it on manga/books (and World of Warcraft). Most parents aren't going to be willing to pay a great deal for anime. It really is up to those of us who are older fans. I'm not saying that the younger fans should do nothing if they can do something, but many of them really can't.

Marketing to parents is important here, and I think the industry doesn't really try to do that so much. They are usually good at making those of us happy who want to buy and collect dvds, but for the majority out there who just want to watch I don't think they've got a lot going just yet. They seem to be working on it though, I'm just not sure if its being done in the right way.
Navak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
I'd much rather have some sort of ad tie-in, like commercials, even if it required a proprietary player and offer a torrent distribution for decent TV quality episodes over renting for 1.99 an episode on a console or buying it and having it be restricted to viewing on that console.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
This is all fine and all, but where's the legal first view? because I ain't buying nothing blind.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
It's a suspended sentence (which seems very popular in Japan, for good or bad). Meaning if the guy doesn't do anything bad within the 3 years he's suspended (in probation), he does not serve the sentence.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's a suspended sentence (which seems very popular in Japan, for good or bad). Meaning if the guy doesn't do anything bad within the 3 years he's suspended (in probation), he does not serve the sentence.

That isn't surprising. I'd figure they would at least do something like this. Probation is good.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Kireek wrote:
Ok can we go after Crunchyroll now please??

Crunchyroll is totally legit. They even have filters set up to stop people in distribution regions that are not allowed to view the content. Almost every studio has an agreement of one form or another with Crunchyroll, and not just from Japan - from Korea and Vietnam and other countries too.

I have no idea what to say about this comment..........Crunchyroll is totally legit? Hey Conan-san Funimation have there own legit channel on youtube with the first 2 episodes of some of there anime
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
They are legit now, you may not like it but it is true.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
They are legit now, you may not like it but it is true.

Im sorry to go about xamd but the fact it is a ps3 exclusive and has been ripped off there to put on CR is legit?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Kireek wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Given that those Xam'd files are so easy to find, if Sony wants them off they can certainly issue the C&D. But this title is causing them a headache anyways because of the way it was marketed, it's no wonder that they aren't doing a thing yet. They've understandably pissed off their own customers. They have to fix those issues first.

Indeed really they should let people store it on there PS3. Some people are aying that $1.99 for a episode that has come out 4 MONTHS before japan is too much?? I can find that money lying round my house of course if ur tottaly broke then don't bother. But i swear even if they where asking for 1 cent to support the industery people would still go off and steal it. They find anime worthless

US teen spending is a huge market that has studies done on it. This is a subset with a discretionary income/allowance. This subset of the population paid $500 for a PS3 and prob more for the setup for their TV set. They also have high speed internet access. They also have given up info for credit card accounts to PSN. This is not a poor population but a population in the middle of a recession too right now.

So while I hear the moaning online, I turn a dull ear to the comments and just say "Sometimes you got pinch a little here to afford something there." unless something like the PSN rental thing shows up.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
You are writing in the wrong forum if your complaint is on specifics like that. I didn't say they have never done anything not legit, or that videos currently uploaded there might not be legit. I think they may still take user submissions.

You should ask them to take it down and cc the copyright holder if this is your concern.

As far as I go, the ps3 exclusive thing is extremely stupid IMO.

It's possible they allowed CR to put it up, but if you want to press the point you need to talk to the right people.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well the guy clearly got what he deserved, if not getting off light. Just because it is a one in a million chance that you will ever get caught and prosecuted doesn't mean that what you did was any less bad. Will this drastically change anything, probably not, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have happened.

Kireek:

What kokuryu wrote was total BS, and I am sure he knows it. He is just trolling. Just ignore him. I would support Crunchyroll if it were a completely legit site. Sadly that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. Just because you have a couple of shows that are being shown threw legal means, doesn't make the other 95% of your illegal business legit. Geez that is the sort of thing the mafia does. It's hard to believe there are people believing the BS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7