• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Case Closed DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
Hello,

While Case Closed may start off sounding fairly complicated, you quickly discover that this is just setting the scene for the next few hundred episodes.
***Unless you've been watching most of the series, you shouldn't make comments like that... Conan is far from being simple.

After the third episode on the first volume, all the essential characters have been introduced,
***You could say that... but many important characters get added along as the series progresses.

and you can proceed in practically any episode or volume order you desire. ***Yes and no... Conan tracking down the black clothed men that made him chibi size is an (ever slowly) evolving plotline... cannot afford to jump around too much.

Almost as if to prove this, Funimation’s Starter Set comes with another DVD of three whole episodes, rather than extras.
***No it's not. If Case Closed fans had seen all the episodes aired so far, this DVD volume is the next 3 episodes so it's more like a preview for the next "season" to air in TV.

Impatient for some double digits, the second DVD includes episodes 53 through 55, and considering you just skipped a season or two in there somewhere,
***Not really, more than 40 episodes run a year (are no set seasons in Japan).

there’s not much different in terms of character or overall plot development. Conan is still on the lookout for his attackers, Rachel is still clueless about Jimmy Kudo’s whereabouts, and Rachel’s father Richard (aka Kogoro Mouri) still sucks as a detective. ***Easy assumption to make if you have NOT seen all the inbetween episodes.

Luckily, to avoid confusing fans of the Japanese version, Funimation included two subtitle tracks, one of the dubbed script and one of the translated Japanese script, which includes the original Japanese names.
***Not that it's REMOTELY obvious from the Menu selection!!

As mentioned earlier, visually Case Closed has an older style: the slightly faded colors and numerous stills recall those pre-CG days. ***An older style because it's from Jan 1996 and copies the manga art exactly. The anime art (and CG, entire 7th and 8th movies are pure digital) and character desgins have evolved a great deal and the cases tax the watcher's brain just as much now (episode 373) as the earliest ones.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:15 am Reply with quote
It seems that people are taking ANN's reviews and columns way too serioiusly lately and aren't reading them, but just looking for ways to tear them apart.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
It seems that people are taking ANN's reviews and columns way too serioiusly lately and aren't reading them, but just looking for ways to tear them apart.

Yeah, I noticed that. Seems like nine times out of ten if there's a post in here about someone's review or column, it's just someone complaining that the article sucked because etc etc etc, and they're always really snotty and rude about it.

It's like all they have to do with their time is complain about free content - content clearly labeled as an opinion column, mind you - on the internet.
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I think it was a good review. Smile

My favorite: Shinichi, Ran, and Kogoro all seem to have had identity crises while crossing the Pacific.

*directed at FUNimation* As if this wasn't appearent with all the Japanese characters and clear Japanese customs!!!!!!

Adding the box set to my Christmas list.
bnewhall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to the reviewer for recognizing that English dubs don't have to be perfectly "realistic" to be worthwhile.

Am I the only one who found Chrono Crusade's period references a little stiff ("It's Jake," etc.)? They were accurate, but they didn't sound like natural parts of the characters' vocabulary to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
extralife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Biggest problem with the dub by eight hundred and sixty two miles: they dubbed The High-Lows intro song!! THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! DANGER!!
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Extralife wrote:
Biggest problem with the dub by eight hundred and sixty two miles: they dubbed The High-Lows intro song!! THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! DANGER!!

I can't tell whwther you're serious or not. In any case, it's standard for FUNi to do dubbed intro themes.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Eh. With the ratings that the DVD recived, I think there would be little to complain about. Criticism is usually fine, provided that the person acctually puts thought into the criticism. This particular one mainly seems to criticise technical aspects of the review. Not exactly constructive...

Again, given the overall high rating it recieved, what is there to complain about from the fan side? =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Fault can always be found if fault is what you're looking for.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see what the first poster is whining about. Their criticisms mostly involve calling the reviewer's opinons stupid because they have not seen the whole series. Note that the review is for the starter set, not the entire series. Unless your advocating seeing 100s of episodes into a series before you review the first few, your argument has no basis.
extralife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Extralife wrote:

I can't tell whwther you're serious or not. In any case, it's standard for FUNi to do dubbed intro themes.

Other bands are not The High-Lows!!!

I, in a (mostly) tongue-in-cheek manner, identified this as the biggest problem with the show in my review, which was not posted. Even though it is clearly better, because I mention The High-Lows.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
I still can't tell whether you're serious or not since I have never heard of this band.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1