• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Delaestrella

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
IDK if anyone has already suggested this but how about maybe also having a way to search all anime and manga titles via year of release?

I like watching and reading anime and manga, and seeing the evolution of how its progressed in art, animation and storytelling is something that is hard to ignore, but there was a big chunk of time that I wasn't around that I didn't see anything because either A: I wasn't born or old enough to understand or B: was out of the loop for so long.

If there was a way to search for things via date release, particularly by the year it would make it easier to find things that similar in style, trend and level of technical skill. You wouldn't see a series like The Slayers: NEXT animated the way it was today compared to things like Soul Eater.

So whether you're younger or older or just having trouble understanding where is a good place to start, I think that having a timeline would certainly help anyone find exactly what they are looking for. It will absolutely narrow down your choices.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
You mean like this?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Can we get some way to see single episode credits for shows? Lets take the recent Code Breaker for example. If I wanted to check the animation credits for, lets say, episode 6, I have to check through five storyboarders, seven episode directors, fourteen animation directors, and a whopping 158 key animators; that's excluding 2nd key animators. That's a lot of scrolling and hovering to check one episode. And that's just on Code Breaker. Sometimes it's not even worth it to check the sakuga-orgy shows like Star Driver or the really long shows like Naruto/Shippudden.

Another page like how Episode Titles or Trivia get where it's just the episode by episode credits would make credit checking infinitely easier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
That would require a major rewrite (although I don't now exactly what is underway for the next release); the system was never designed for episode precision, it is something users starting using the precision field for. Currently all it does is recognise that "ep nn,nn-nn" is referring to episode numbers to collapse long lists but it is still just stored as a text field.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
It'd be a major rewrite to attach another page to an entry? I'm not saying we should change anything right now as it is, I'm saying add a separate page that breaks the credits down further. Like this page is just Yu Yu Hakusho episode titles or this page is just Lucky Star trivia. *This hypothetical page* would be episode by episode credits for Star Driver.

I'm not a tech expert, so maybe it is a bigger change than I think, but it's still hard to search specific credits and I'd like something that is possible and easier than looking through 100+ names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CM1artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm new, so I am not sure how this goes, but, I'm gonna give it a shot.
I was adding series to my My Collection catagory, and I noticed that the Live-Action TV Series for Witchblade wasn't in the encyclopedia.

Series Information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchblade_(TV_series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274298/
(Sorry, the first link won't format correctly)

DVD Box cover: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cuZlRDfUL._SS500_.jpg

I know it is a bit off of being an anime, and it Witchblade is actually a comic book series from Canada, not a manga series from Japan.
I was hoping to see it added, because it is the same Witchblade story as in the anime, just with a different setting and people.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Having the same source material as an anime doesn't make it admissible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Having seen all (or at least most of) the US Witchblade series, and the first few episodes of the anime, I can state that it is most definitely not the same story.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
In the same sense that Tsubasa Chronicle lists as related both CCS and xxxHolic: manga#2494

I am interested in seeing a more consolidated presentation of the various "Megami Tensei" media. From what I am aware of, here are the topmost categories of various groups of MT media which I think could be unified:

1987 anime anime#3335 (top)
1995 anime anime#763 (top)
2000 anime anime#1847 (top)
2000 manga manga#8301
2001 manga manga#5173
2002 anime anime#1832
2003 manga manga#10933
2007 manga manga#11445 (top)
2008 anime anime#8950
2009 manga manga#11446 (top)
2011 anime anime#12870
2012 anime anime#14342
2013 anime anime#14955 (top)
upcoming anime anime#14449

Right now there is some disjointed connection made between the Persona 3 and 4 anime/manga series, but none with the earlier 'Digital Devil Monogatari', 'Tokyo Revelation' or 'Devil Children' or recent 'Devil Survivor' animes. I was hoping an editor could list them as related or spinoffs or something like that so there is a connection between all the MT media.

I couldn't figure out how to suggest this via the "can you contribute any of the following" dropdown box, none of the options listed the 'Related anime' field I saw this under on other articles.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI, I suggested an omnibus entry for the franchise a year ago.
MileyLover1123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
How do I post the url of a page I find online when I submit information about a certain role performed by a voice actor?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Past the link into the source box?
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of anime/manga that have stage musical adaptations. Sailor Moon, Bleach, Black Butler, Saiyuki, Shugo Chara, and Prince of Tennis are the ones that I know for sure have them. But Bleach is the only one that has an encyclopedia page. I was wondering why that is.

I know most of them do have DVD releases, too. It seems like the Bleach one was listed as a DVD release, so the others could be listed as such, too.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
So, I contribute a fair bit of information to the encyclopedia, and I bet there are a few errors mixed in there. As a part of the letting regular users support or repute error reports, can we have a report that lists all of our contributions that other people have entered error reports on? This way, we can take action on our own contributions, hopefully saving editors' time.

Currently I use a kind of hack with the categories to achieve a similar effect. For any anime where the majority of the contributions are my own, I put it in a category called Encyclopedia, then I show error reports for only that category. Obviously, it misses a lot of my contributions, and if I filter on anything broader (like Seen All), I start to see reports on Spanish and French actors and such. Things I have no knowledge of.

It would be simple if I saw an error report for "Todd Haberkorn as Jiri Yamada" that read "It's supposed to be Jiro." I would just realize my mistake, and edit the information. (Or delete and re-enter if needed.) Error report handled.
Ken Tsukishirou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it has ever been suggested, but I would like to try it. There's something that really pisses me off, and I think it should be changed.

On a certain anime page, the way how the encyclopedia lists all the voice actors and companies that worked with that anime is splitting them into language sections. This way you ignore there are countries which speak the same language, but people don't necessarily know the same dubs, voice actors or companies.

For example, I live in Brazil and I haven't ever seen any dub from Portugal here. Even so, Portuguese voice actors are all listed together with Brazilian voice actors, making that section a big mess. It's kinda difficult to find something. Brazil and Portugal (as well as a lot of other countries which speak the same language) have totally different dubs and totally different accents, so they don't usually exchange media (there are indeed some Brazilian dubs which were used in Portugal, because of certain circumstances, but it's not usual, and the opposite never happens).

It's not like Latin Spanish dub, which has often the same dub being used in all Latin American countries which speak Spanish. Even so, Spain has dubs which are very different from Latin America's, but on the website the voice actors/companies are listed all together as well. Even if there is "(Portugal)" or "(Spain)" next to the name, it's a mere question of willingness of the person who added it.

I suggest you to split the different language "dialects" into different sections. You should put a section for "Brazilian Portuguese" and another section for "European Portuguese". Or you could split a language section into different subsections. Or you could even name different sections by country releases, not by languages. There might also be some other better solution, I'm just suggesting.

I appreciate the efforts of the site staff to always gather info about animes, voice actors, distributors and a lot of other stuff to make a reliable encyclopedia which works as a searching source for anime fans, so I know that changing that could be a lot of pain. However, I hope you understand how unorganized (and somewhat unpleasant) is the actual way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 21