• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the same thing has been suggested regarding the US/UK English dubs and the Animax (SE Asia) English dubs, and there was a very good reason why it can't be done.
Ken Tsukishirou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm pretty sure the same thing has been suggested regarding the US/UK English dubs and the Animax (SE Asia) English dubs, and there was a very good reason why it can't be done.

Which was...?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi Ken, (btw sorry for not answering your email about this; too busy and it fell through the cracks)

It's a very good suggestion and in fact something that I have wanted to do for a looooong time. But it's a complex change that touches the very foundations of the Encyclopedia.

One solution is to record language+country pairs instead of just language. That would work for Portuguese-Brazil and Portuguese-Portugal. Building a list of language+country pairs is an easy thing that just requires finding the language(s) in use in each country. But it turns out that often we need a region rather than a country. Like Spanish-LatinAmerica or English-SoutheastAsia. And building a list of language+region pairs is much more difficult; it requires knowledge of how the anime market operates in every region of the world. For example I mentioned the Spanish-LatinAmerica pairing, but I'm not even sure that's correct. Aren't there examples of the same show being dubbed in different countries of Latin America?

As if that wasn't trouble enough, there can be more than one dub for a given country (like the Streamline and Animaze dubs of Akira)

After a lot of thinking I've come to the conclusion that the best solution is to create "versions" for each anime. So an anime would start with only the original version (usually Japanese, but might include other language/country for co-productions). Then we would add other versions, each one with meta-data along the lines of: language, territories, licensee, license date, etc. That way we'll be able to differentiate versions based on arbitrary information rather than being tied to a single differentiator (like language, or country)

As you can imagine, this is a major structural change. In fact, so major that I've been postponing it until v2.0 of the Encyclopedia. Due to various issues and developments at ANN I've had to postpone Encyc 2.0 for a long time, but the good news is that I'm planning to work exclusively on that in 2014.

And you know what? The biggest challenge comes after that: splitting all the mixed-up data into separate versions. This is going to be one HELL of a job, and will require extensive planning as well as cooperation from fans around the world. It's also the other reason I'm waiting for Encyc 2.0; it will be built to make it much easier to move data around and fix other peoples' mistakes (although not a free for all like wikipedia).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
And you know what? The biggest challenge comes after that: splitting all the mixed-up data into separate versions. This is going to be one HELL of a job, and will require extensive planning as well as cooperation from fans around the world. It's also the other reason I'm waiting for Encyc 2.0; it will be built to make it much easier to move data around and fix other peoples' mistakes (although not a free for all like wikipedia).

Must... resist.... urge... to....

Nope.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
*dies at Derek*
Ken Tsukishirou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the answer. Just one more question: when Encyc 2.0 will have been implemented, will info from the previous version be still available?

I'm asking that because if so, it will work as an important source to the new way of organizing data, instead of gathering all the info from other sources again.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, of course all the info from Encyc 1.0 will be imported into Encyc 2.0

There's no way in hell I'm throwing away the 11 years of effort that went into building the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ken Tsukishirou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. So the problem is "only" in splitting all the info. It will be a hard job, but not so hard as it would be if we didn't have previous data, since most of their old sources may be offline nowadays. I will help in any way if I can.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Do we have a list of the planned features for Encyclopedia 2.0, so I don't suggest things you're already planning on doing? I don't want to clutter up suggestions with stuff that you've heard people request a quadrillion times.

EDIT: Since I haven't gotten an answer, I'll just give my suggestion anyway - the ability to sort credits on a person's page by date, instead of just alphabetically, so I can find out what someone's first or most recent credit is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the next version... it would be nice if you could easily attach "TV 2" etc. to series that also have names so early news articles that mention "the fourth season of Schoolgirl Milky Crisis" can be greenlinked to the eventual "Schoolgirl Milky Crisis'!!? - The Cows Come Home".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Had this thought last night, dunno if it's been suggested before:

Can we have the option to sort search results by type? Especially when I'm looking for something vague enough or common enough that it has anime, manga, person, and company results, it's hard trying to sort through to find the type you want.

Or, maybe, if we can't do that, could we color-code the text? The text "anime" shows up in blue, "manga" shows up in green, and "person" shows up in red? We'd need another color for company, though. Just something to make it visually easier to sort rather than having to check each line to see if it's the right type of result.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you're using the search encyclopedia function, you can do that already. Use these, erm, text buttons? You can click on the text here:

You can narrow it down to one option:

Or more:
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Must be a problem with scripts I have blocked, then, because those don't ever work for me.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
It's not very obvious, but you have to click search again for the changes to take effect. Are you doing that?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
Aaaa, that would be the problem, then. I click the categories, and nothing happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 21