• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I would like to see the addition of a field called "Time slot" for television programs—where the day and time that a show is broadcast can be entered.

Do you think that knowing the one specific broadcasting date/time of one specific anime on one specific television chain would be very usefull information ? Or is it something like first broadcasted on ... ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
I would like to see the addition of a field called "Time slot" for television programs—where the day and time that a show is broadcast can be entered.

Do you think that knowing the one specific broadcasting date/time of one specific anime on one specific television chain would be very usefull information ? Or is it something like first broadcasted on ... ?

"First broadcast on". Also, time slots for popular shows (Sazae-san, for instance can become institutions. It can also indicate what sort of show it is by the time of day—a late night, fan-oriented series, or an all-ages, family program.
Southcross

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Ability to list titles

2: By Genre

I think a "Search for Similar Genre(s)" button would be a kewl feature.... say an anime has a listing of 7 Genres, you click on a button named "Search Similar"... and it pulls up two anime with the exact same Genres (listed as 100% match, 7 out of 7), then 23 more that match 85.7% (6 out of 7), then 98 @ 71.4% (5 out of 7)... well you get the idea. Might save a lot of "suggest an anime series" threads, and me some time clicking randomly on titles just to look at the genres Razz
Nader
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Just a suggestion,

when i checked the Rating stats, i thought why not include Top 10 Best Rated (Top 50) Anime of 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 for all Animes Vintage is in 2001, 2002 for 2002, 2003 etc...
So every year has its Top Rated for Vintages in that year, and when a Anime starts in 2002 and get into 2003 will be listed under 2002 for example, 2003 under 2003 Anime, 2004 under 2004 Anime etc.
I already saw there was News Archive since 1998, so i thought why not for Anime of every year.
So people can check for best Animes of year 2001,2002,2003,2004 etc..

Top 10 Anime of 2001 (Vintage 2001)
Top 10 Anime of 2002 (Vintage 2002)
Top 10 Anime of 2003 (Vintage 2003)
Top 10 Anime of 2004 (Vintage 2004)
Top 10 Anime of 2005 (Vintage 2005)
Top 10 Anime of 2006 (Vintage 2006)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see a FAQ/style guide for the Encyclopedia, containing the answers to the questions I've been asking recently. I'd also like it to contain a list of (accepted) task names, if possible in kanji/kana, romaji, and translated English, with the preferred versions in bold. SImilarly, I'd like to see a pulldown menu (though it would probably be quite large ^_^; ) of approved tasks to use for entering new names in entries.
wao

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I'd like to see a FAQ/style guide for the Encyclopedia, containing the answers to the questions I've been asking recently. I'd also like it to contain a list of (accepted) task names, if possible in kanji/kana, romaji, and translated English, with the preferred versions in bold. SImilarly, I'd like to see a pulldown menu (though it would probably be quite large Anime smile; ) of approved tasks to use for entering new names in entries.

That would actually be handy, so that everything gets set into a similar style and there would be less confusion - especially to people who browse this occasionally - between task names. Especially with this particular person (is it one person? I think it is) who inserts funky names like Motion Picture Checker for douga check and Original Picture (all right, that's a bit more common since it's a literal translation of genga- I admit to doing that too before...)

But...
a. It would take the admins some work to get pulldown list incorporated into the design, perhaps (though the list itself shouldn't be that bad)
b. It'll make the page load a lot more slowly
c. They'd have to go to all the existing... almost 4000 anime titles and change all the incorrect names to the correct ones and in cases of ambiguity, go and find out what each thing is...

Though maybe a link to a page, with a list with each task, the kanji and the highly recommended translation as well as unsuitable translations, could be put in noticeable text at the top of each submission page (as in, when you are entering credits and it shows you how to enter aliases an stuff... that page.)
And when normally browsing the 'pedia, the page could be linked to on the sidebar.
This way,
a. People submitting info have a guideline on how to enter info, no matter how much they know about anime
b. People who are browsing the encyclopedia might get an idea of what these people are actually entering (maybe a short description of each task in the list would be helpful).
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking for a while now that in the individual Anime Anthology, formerly omnibus, listings there should be dates attached to each title. This would make it easier to sort through these long lists of related titles.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
(I already posted this elsewhere, but apparently this is where it should go...)

At the top of the right hand sidebar on the "My Anime" page, it lists the number of titles in each of the various categories, "Want to see", "Seen some", etc. For the "Seen all" category, how about putting the total run time as well as the number of titles? That would let us see how much of our lives we've wasted watching anime Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if there's a way to maybe show in the releases of DVD's what number episodes are included on the DVD.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm wondering if there's a way to maybe show in the releases of DVD's what number episodes are included on the DVD.

While I agree that that information should be included, in the meantime AnimeMania is an excellent resource.
cat_clan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see an option that let me filter the names of the series when browsing them on the cataloge per language or at least official title against alternative titles. I know the italic style is used for that, but the list is getting bigger and bigger, so I would love to just browse them per language an avoid a lot of the alternative titles.

For example on the # list we have 26 official titles against 26 altenatives titles. So half of them are not new shows on the list. Another example on the A list we have 210+ titles that are alternative titles, so it's getting harder to read.

Anyways, I hope what I said makes sense and it will be taken in consideration someday. Thanks for you time and keep up the good work.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
A suggestion for title approval private messages: Currently, when a title is approved for the Encyclopedia, the message to the submitter consists of a stock message with the title and the URL of the series. Would it be possible to also include the originally submitted proof? Recently, dormcat has been very good about (and very busy ^_^ ) approving the backlog of titles, but in the past by the time a series has been approved, I have forgotten that I even submitted it, never mind what my sources for the submission were. The change would help me start entering information more quickly.
CMB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
How about a list for light novels? Rolling Eyes Wink
asterphage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
CMB wrote:
How about a list for light novels? Rolling Eyes Wink

I think non-manga books would be a very interesting thing to have in the database. A lot of artists and designers who work in anime have many, many books published, and sometimes the work they've done on paper can shed much light on someone who's only had a brief anime career.

I wonder if magazines, as well, would be too crazy... Though I don't doubt there's enough information out there in the fan base to provide the issues that each chapter of a manga was published in, as well as illustrations, articles and other work by anime/manga creators... it might be too much for the site's format to handle.

In the past I've tried to find ways to summarize this kind of stuff in the various other information fields (and that just reminds me of how nice it would be to be able to add a video game or live-action movie the same way you add an anime... and how nice it would be to be able to search for a list of your past contributions... but I'm sure those ideas have already been brought up in here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CMB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought this would be a good idea. As some U.S. company's like Tokoypop and Seven Sea's are starting to publish some, Smile Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21