• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Since so more and more anime are being based on Light novels and visual novels maybe the encyclopedia should be extended to them, it would be a pretty bigchange but it would be useful to have some listing of them all
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
To help viewers understand better the genres related to a specific title, it would be interesting if everyone who rates could answer which genre best portrays the title. Genres with most votes would be displayed either with bolder typography or with slightly bigger fonts. This wouldn't hide all genres that a particular title withholds, it would just display more clearly what are it's strongest features.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
When submitting companies, it would be nice if the message "This company exists in the database" has a hyperlink on the word "exists" like that of submitting people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
What I said in this post about the sorting of episode titles also applies to Vixens (#3246)—which has titles for its three episodes (1, 2, and 3), as well as two stories each in the first two episodes, which have their own individual titles (1. A., 1. B., 2. A., and 2. B.).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
AFAICT the Official website entry form allows users to input multiple titles, but only one URL. This pretty much defeats the purpose, so it would be nice if multiple URLs could also be entered (since some series—especially hentai—have one page per episode).
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
One of the biggest problems with themes is that people aren't aware of Dan42's concept of what is a theme here at ANN. Despite all the explanatory texts ANN provides on how to submit info, it seems pretty obvious that great part of the user's "assistance" cause more hindrance than aid to the editors. Making the original intent obvious could help. Therefore I suggest altering the word Theme to Visual Theme.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Just adding the link to a suggestion I made regarding the audit system on the last Letter from the Encyclopedist thread. Formalizing it, I guess.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
I would like to know if somebody reports something that I entered erroneous. How about email notifications like we get for responses to threads? That way, we get the chance to defend our information. Or if we agree with the reporter, we can change or delete our information. I think this will make less work for the editors.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
One suggestion regarding People and the Compare function: I may have mentioned this earlier, but I'm wondering if it would be possible for "Compare Person A + Person B" to return results for all aliases and alternate names for A and B. I first noticed this with Chris(topher) Patton, how comparisons will only give results for the main name (Christopher) and not any alternate names like "Chris." I again noticed it when trying to compare Bridget Hoffman (who apparently has more aliases than a CIA agent) and Sayaka Ohara; I know they've "shared" roles more often than just Raquel in Scrapped Princess (e.g. Ezra in Vandread), but Compare only returns roles where Hoffman is credited as Bridget Hoffman. Would it be possible to "associate" those aliases in the database as the same name so that Compare will return the appropriate results?
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I've seen many posts regarding voice actors like David Lucas being one and the same as Steven Jay Blum. I'm aware of the potential issues regarding actors' union affiliations and use of cast aliases. I'd like to suggest that a sticky be created that lists all cases for which ANN has received a request by a performer that their alias not be shown on their page. Even for those of us aware of the problem it can be frustrating having to stop and do a search in the forums for every post where it may have been previously discussed/addressed.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Servant: That would kind of defeat the purpose of asking ANN to keep their different identities separate, and thus secret(ish).

My Idea: It seems to me that many voice actors go through a lot of trouble to keep their email off of SPAMBOT9000's radar, then we go right ahead and present it in plain text format. Is there a way that we could at least do our due diligence in protecting their privacy and use some of those mailto: scripts, like here?

http://www.katsukmusic.com/acquisitions.htm

After all, if every email we submit gets inundated with spam and deleted, we really aren't providing much of a service, are we?
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Servant: That would kind of defeat the purpose of asking ANN to keep their different identities separate, and thus secret(ish).

Not necessarily. Why not preface the list with a note stating something to the effect that ANN does not recognize that the following VA's are one and the same despite any seeming similarity in their voices? There are a lot of options here and it would preclude ANNcontributor_## from harassing the staff about similar sounding VA's when it was already determined that they are not going to be shown as the same person. At the same time, for someone newer like myself, it would make it very easy to determine what's already been addressed. If I'm watching a series and I hear a voice and think "Hey! Didn't I hear him/her in -insert series-? And look at that! They aren't listed in the cast list on ANN!" I don't want to have to spend a lot of time digging up a DVD out of my collection to compare the voices, hunting down cast lists for the show from other online references and/or searching through countless previous forum posts before submitting anything only to find out in the end that ANN was already aware of the "similarity" and wasn't going to reflect it.

By the way, I like the idea you had regarding the e-mail addresses. I was always a little surprised to see plain e-mail addresses for voice actors openly displayed as they are.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Servant of the Path wrote:
I was always a little surprised to see plain e-mail addresses for voice actors openly displayed as they are.

My personal policy is, if an email address is publicly displayed on their own / their agency's website, blog, or other public-accessible areas (such as AoD forum) as a link or pure text without any protection, then I'd have it displayed here as well. However, if the email address is displayed as a picture, using alternative characters to replace the "@" (at) sign, or hide it completely by using a form submission, then I would not submit the address, as bots might be able to scavenge them automatically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
AFAIK, most email harvesters look for mailto *links*. Straight text is not as vulnerable. Also, it *is* somewhat obfuscated (look at the html source). Nothing fancy, but I'd wager enough to keep out 95% of harvesters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
It says span a lot? I believe you if you say that it's masked, but I always thought spam programs scraped screens then searched text for "*@*.com" (or net, org, ca, jp, edu, gov whatever.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 21