• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Manly Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
Seriously, I've been defending the character designs for this show for quite some time now, but what the hell is wrong with that picture?

Well you can still defend the character designs. The stuff as pointed out was nothing but screw-ups on the animators and artists part. Though I guess it doesn't make the fact it's there suck any less.

Nermal wrote:
Sex Warrior Pudding: the best title ever:lol:

Sorry but that award still goes to Hooligan: The Quest for the 7 Holy Dildos. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
re: xxxHolic

To be fair, the art style has been consistent throughout. For more distant shots that include full character bodies, their shapes are much more angular or gangly with the awkwardly long necks and all, while for the closer up shots the style looks more like what we're accustomed to seeing. This is apparently an artistic choice by the staff, and while I'm not particularly a fan of it, they have stuck with it to this point. I can respect that at least.

I can forgive unusual looking animation when the story can consistently hold my interest. I felt the same way about Silent Moebius when it came out, though it wasn't near as awkward as xxxHolic has been at times; it was just a bit different than usual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, I give up. What is this "F3" people keep referring to? Embarassed
djarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

I believe that would be "Frantic, Frustrated, & Female."

It's in the second pic, next to "Body Transfer."

I believe F3 is very old, so that's why there was surprise that it was on DVD.

I stumbled upon it many years ago by accident. Seriously.
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
I love xxxholic, and I can't wait to see the second season (I've heard the 2nd is even better then the first).

And of course I'll be watching Gurren Lagann
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
I caught the premiere of Gurren Lagann last night on Sci-Fi and I have to say I do agree with Bamboo that it's a fun show to watch! It certainly does have a FLCL feel to it, and the English dub is not too bad either. I'll definitely pick up the first set at Best Buy later today (with the soundtrack, of course Wink ).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
To be fair, the art style has been consistent throughout.

I disagree, I think the worst part about xxxHolic's style is that it is NOT consistent. Sometimes it actually can manage to look really good. This is especially true of the scenes featuring characters who only appear in one episode, especially the more interesting looking, supernatural characters.

However, random shots of the main characters are sometimes so horribly drawn that you wonder how professionals were responsible for them.

The character designs themselves are okay. They can be a bit weird at times, but when they are well-drawn they work quite nicely. They are mostly the same as they are in the manga, where they are pretty much always well drawn (I can't think of any example where it was otherwise) and thus, even though the proportioning of the bodies isn't remotely accurate, it never looks wrong. In the anime, as shown in these shots, it often does.

But the fact that it isn't always this way is the saddest part, because the animators clearly are better than these scenes, but didn't care enough to put the effort into them. It's not the only show to do this, but it's one that does it quite often, but not consistently enough to be written off completely.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
However, random shots of the main characters are sometimes so horribly drawn that you wonder how professionals were responsible for them.

This is precisely what I was referring to. By consistent I mean that the longer shots of characters always have that awful, out of proportion look to them, while the closeup shots always look much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Heh, much of what bamboo says about TTGL is quite ironic if you've seen the whole show already ^^
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wow everybody seems to be all over TTGL this week (not that I mind) I was never able to get into xxxholic like a lot of people but that picture was hilarious.
Zablac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, that shelf thing is funny.

I'm so glad I'm cheap and have never spent money on anime. Instead I have 350+ burned dvds, each chalk full of anime. All subbed, not crappy dubbed too. Anime smile
Many dvds of a certain type of h-game too. Like 10+. Good stuff...
malik_chan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Zablac wrote:
Lol, that shelf thing is funny.

I'm so glad I'm cheap and have never spent money on anime. Instead I have 350+ burned dvds, each chalk full of anime. All subbed, not crappy dubbed too. Anime smile
Many dvds of a certain type of h-game too. Like 10+. Good stuff...

Please do not insult dubs as this can cause wank.

I saw TTGL on Sci-Fi last night only because nothing else was on and I found it surprisingly good! I could do without the fan service, but Leeron made up for it.

I can't believe somebody actually APPROVED the way those screencaps were drawn! D:
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

If not for the hentai, I would still recommend watching this one. Poor girl spoiler[can't cum so she has to go through all these hilarious ways to try and do so.] I was laughing the entire time.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who actually LIKES whiny Watanuki? I think he's funny... Embarassed

(Although not nearly as funny as Doumeki...)
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
daedelus wrote:

If not for the hentai, I would still recommend watching this one. Poor girl spoiler[can't cum so she has to go through all these hilarious ways to try and do so.] I was laughing the entire time.

OMG that sounds like comedy gold.......will try to find it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5