• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Manly Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Zablac wrote:

So until that stuff costs less, or I win the lottery, I'll spend the money I make on more useful stuff like my car, gas, my computer, and going out with friends. Torrenting FTW!

All things you'll have more time to do now that you can't post here anymore!
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
There really isn't that much that was left out of the xxxHolic anime, actually. At least I don't think there is. It's hard to tell because the stories are told completely out of order, so something you think was missed from volume one might turn up in episode 15 or something like that.

Of course, there is the crossover with Tsubasa, but for the majority of the story that the first season covers this really is fairly minor.
You keep on posting about crossovers, I've seen both seasons... and the series barely intersect. Are you confusing the manga with the anime?

I like the art for xxxholic, I quickly got used to averting my eyes during zoomed-out shots, and focused on the story. I've always seen Yuuko as the main character, and Watanuki as the side-show comedy act.

I've seen a few episodes of tweeny witches a while back, and I couldn't get into it.So I dropped it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
You keep on posting about crossovers, I've seen both seasons... and the series barely intersect. Are you confusing the manga with the anime?

"Of course, there is the crossover with Tsubasa, but for the majority of the story that the first season covers this really is fairly minor."

They're referring to the part of the manga that the anime covered in its first season, and how that part of the manga barely interacted with Tsubasa compared to later parts of the manga, so the anime omitting the crossovers isn't that harmful at this point.
AckIsBack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ewww, Himawari looks zetta creepy! ;w;

But I'm totally stoked to see the rest of the Gurren Lagann dub. So far it's not that bad. But I'm a bit worried about how Viral will sound...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
AckIsBack wrote:
But I'm totally stoked to see the rest of the Gurren Lagann dub. So far it's not that bad. But I'm a bit worried about how Viral will sound...

His voice was briefly in the Bandai trailer. Sounded pretty good to me.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Faceman wrote:
Ok, I'm probably just nitpicking, but I found an error in the review:
Quote:
In the spotlight is Simon, whose one of the drillers.

I believe that should be who's, as in the contracted form of "who is". "Whose" is the possessive form of who. Does it matter? Not really I guess, but I just wanted to point it out, as it doesn't seem anyone else has yet Confused

Oops, that one crept by me while I was proof-reading. Thanks!

Yeeeeeeah... I noticed that one too. And this one:
Quote:
Gurren Lagann is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, who's leant his talents to works like FLCL and Dead Leaves, and it totally shows.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Yeeeeeeah... I noticed that one too. And this one:
Quote:
Gurren Lagann is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, who's leant his talents to works like FLCL and Dead Leaves, and it totally shows.

Actually, that one is correct. In that sentence, "who's" is the contracted form of "who has".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
No. I mean leant isn't a word. Should be lent.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see. You're right. Though "leant" is a word, but it's being used in the wrong way in this sentence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/leant I learned something new today. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What's the hentai next to F3 with the blonde called? I can't make out the name.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
What's the hentai next to F3 with the blonde called? I can't make out the name.

Lingeries. I had the same trouble for a while. Laughing
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Oh, I see. You're right. Though "leant" is a word, but it's being used in the wrong way in this sentence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/leant I learned something new today. Wink

Pshhh! That only counts in England. Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
They're referring to the part of the manga that the anime covered in its first season, and how that part of the manga barely interacted with Tsubasa compared to later parts of the manga, so the anime omitting the crossovers isn't that harmful at this point.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The anime has been able to get rid of the Tsubasa crossover in the material they have covered so far without it leading to major issues (there have been a few things they've had to change, but nothing that really changes the plot that much). But getting rid of the crossover is probably the most major exclusion made for the anime, as it does cover most of the actual stories (even one inspired by the novel), albeit in a "creative" order.

Which is why I don't believe it's accurate to say that the anime leaves a lot out, because it really doesn't.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zablac wrote:

So until that stuff costs less, or I win the lottery, I'll spend the money I make on more useful stuff like my car, gas, my computer, and going out with friends. Torrenting FTW!

The Dark Lord of the Sith FTW!
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zablac wrote:

Zac is hilarious. I figured the ban hammer would come out for that moron, and I was right. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5