• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gainax on Gurren Lagann

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg4619

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They're gonna do it, and those who know how to enjoy it will enjoy it. End of story.

Gainax pretty much said that they'd do it (assuming that the series was successful) even before the series aired.

According to ex-producer Takami Akai, they created the concept with the expectation that the show would go on for at least three seasons. Like it or not, Gainax had a heavy commercialization plan from the start.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
Yeah, but we can be elitist not-so-nice-people and not consider Pokemon as real anime as it's absolutely intended for 7 year olds and has no other hidden or adult themes running through it. It's more of a children's cartoon that happens to come from Japan.

Silly, anime isn't just for adults. And I'm sure Pokemon has done more to introduce American kids to anime than Evangelion ever will. Smile

To get on-topic, as a pre-airing interview, the interview seemed to have many hints about specific events for someone about to watch it on Sci-Fi tonight for the first time. I now know there will be both a bath scene and a timeskip, just from this pre-airing interview. I don't wanna get nitpicky or annoying about spoilers, but a bit of a spoiler warning would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I don't wanna get nitpicky or annoying about spoilers

Then why'd you get nitpicky about spoilers?
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has SciFi done about no advertising for Gurren? I haven't seen any commercials besides their generic Ani-Monday ones. Their website doesn't even have an Ani-Monday/Tues links on the main page, nevermind anything for GL.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or has SciFi done about no advertising for Gurren? I haven't seen any commercials besides their generic Ani-Monday ones. Their website doesn't even have an Ani-Monday/Tues links on the main page, nevermind anything for GL.

It feels like Skiffy hasn't really done any advertising for Ani-Monday ever. I guess they just see it as a kind of experiment, and apparently the larger fanbase are horrible Battlestar and Trek nerds, and hate the animu. I'd like to see Ani-Monday grow, but I'm not sure they'll give it the time of day, unless GL gets an immense viewership. But I don't normally watch Skiffy, so I can't be too sure on their advertising. I do know it's probably about the same that [as] did for Code Geass.
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:

Nope, they really haven't done much advertising. Maybe if they would have advertised it, I would not have missed the premiere episodes of it because it came on two hours earlier than I expected. Of course, I live in the Mountain Time Zone, where TV schedules cannot be trusted. I should've known better Laughing .

Are they planning on airing repeats of any sort or are they putting the episodes online on SciFi Rewind for people who missed a few episodes here and there? From what I've seen it doesn't look like it. If not, I guess I'll just have to look it up on Veoh in a few days and slip those few advertising dollars out of SciFi's hands.

In short: Wah. Very Happy
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I can hear the Horribly pronounced Japanese names and pitiful excuses for voice acting now. If you don't mind(which I don't care if you do)I'll just stick to Seiyuu. Cool
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I can hear the Horribly pronounced Japanese names and pitiful excuses for voice acting now. If you don't mind(which I don't care if you do)I'll just stick to Seiyuu. Cool

Did you even watch the SciFi channel's dub? I've only seen the first episode of GL subbed when it was on ADV's site , but overall I'd have to say it was pretty good. Except for the commercials every 5 minutes. No one cares about Eureka. Bring back my SG1 and BSG, damnit!!
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

So..."Simon" is a Japanese name right? Oho I didn't know that. Open your ears and listen to the brilliant dub. Don't just classify it as bad before you even hear it, and its obvious you didn't.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

Did you even watch the SciFi channel's dub? I've only seen the first episode of GL subbed when it was on ADV's site , but overall I'd have to say it was pretty good. Except for the commercials every 5 minutes. No one cares about Eureka. Bring back my SG1 and BSG, damnit!!

Granted I love Eureka, that annoying ad that popped up during the first episode after the second commercial was, suffice to say, stupid.

But come tomorrow we won't see the ridiculous amount of plugs since it will have premiered.

Either way, on the note of the comment of the series being worked on for a decade, how soon do you guys think we could expect to see a manga series? I mean, surely that's gotta be in the works, right?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Ah a purest. Well before you start with all that without even knowing what your talking about maybe you should listen to the dub and notice that it is great. No offense but you should like an 11 year old that thinks it's cool to like subs and hate dubs because you watch naruto shippuden fansubs.

Even though I think it might just have been flame bait.
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks to this interview I was reminded to watch GL and it was special getting to watch it on my television instead of a computer monitor. (holding out for the dub releases because of extras+ the actual episode 6 and stuff) The dub didn't click with me right off the bat but it slowly grew on me. Kamina took some getting used to but I was fine with Kyle's performance by the second episode and surely the whole cast will continue to improve with each episode.

Thanks for posting the interview, it's always nice to see what the creators feel and what went into making a series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
What the heck? During the second episode, it froze. Way to go Sci-fi channel Rolling Eyes
mewtwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
What the heck? During the second episode, it froze. Way to go Sci-fi channel Rolling Eyes

Didn't happen on my recording... *shrug*
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Didn't happen on my recording... *shrug*

Yeah, thanks to them, it skipped a bit of the middle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3