• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Surveys

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
I don't want to initiate another circular debate, but what I wanted to answer is "I am currently excited by a fansubbed anime that has yet to be licensed", the anime series (multiple) in question being Kannagi (because it's a magical girlfriend show with an attitude) and Kemeko DX (for being the funniest rapid-fire comedy/fanservice show I've seen in years, and I'm more of a slice-of-life light comedy guy so this is a change-of-pace from what I usually enjoy).

However, that wasn't an option, so I chose the one about buying shows I've already seen fansubbed (Ouran High School Host Club and Lucky Star), since it also kind of fits my situation (even though it's been way more than 6 months since I had seen either until I bought the DVDs).

I wouldn't buy a series that didn't excite me on some level the first time I watched it, in which case, I would have gave it up after a couple of episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
I also wish there was an option for an unlicensed series seen via fansubs--Mononoke being the most prevalent series that comes to mind--but given the context of the poll, it wouldn't be an appropriate option. That said, I had to settle with: "There's an anime currently licensed, but not yet released, that I've seen fansubbed that really excites me." There are a good amount of series that fit into that category, but rising above them all is Baccano!. I can't wait to own that series (first volume will be available come January! Very Happy).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I just didn't get the answers that were available. I know that they were set in certain time frames, but somehow those just didn't make sense to me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Hi,

The question is about licensed anime. I specifically left no option for unlicensed anime because I wanted to know when the last time a licensed anime excited you,

You could interpret the question as, "how good a job is the anime industry doing in providing you with something to consume?"

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think the last time I was really excited about an anime license was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Not that I wasn't interested in the licensing of Gurren Lagann, Shin-chan, and Gundam 00, but just not as much, because Haruhi was the last time I was ever really rivited by a new anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
I selected the 1 year ago mark because the title in question for me is Kurau so I felt that worked better then 2 years or another option. I've been happy for titles but the last title that truly had me dying as I wanted for each new release was Kurau Phantom Memory.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Claymore, hands down. I've watch it sooo many times already and this is the first time in eleven years of anime fandom that I've wanted to buy an artbox + first volume DVD and collect the DVD's as they come out. Very Happy I usually wait for the full boxset (or these days, thin-paks).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
While I'm at it, Hellsing OVA was the last thing to excite me, because of the way it took the material from the manga and was dead on in interpreting the story into an anime medium. On top of that, it had a great English dub. Granted, they're releasing it, and it's kept me interested all this time, but it's been the last thing to excite me, which was last year, when I first started watching it.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
TTGL, Claymore, Code Geass -- there's tons of stuff currently in release that's exciting me.

On a side note: lol@ANN's gender demographic. I'm actually quite surprised it's so disproportionately male.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

On a side note: lol@ANN's gender demographic. I'm actually quite surprised it's so disproportionately male.

The poll doesn't necessarily reflect the gender demographic of the membership, it reflects the demographic of those willing to give their opinions about things.

Any, it was TTGL that got me going. It was the first show in a few years that had me shouting and punching the air.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm also going to say TTGL. I wasn't even interested in it until it got licensed and SciFi started showing it, but it's just so amazing. It makes me feel like I did when I first started watching anime all those years ago, that sense of awe and excitement.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

The poll doesn't necessarily reflect the gender demographic of the membership, it reflects the demographic of those willing to give their opinions about things.

True, but surely ANN conducts its polls under the assumption that those willing to answer survey questions represent -- with at least some accuracy -- the average ANN user.

ScrappedAeon wrote:
I'm also going to say TTGL. I wasn't even interested in it until it got licensed and SciFi started showing it, but it's just so amazing. It makes me feel like I did when I first started watching anime all those years ago, that sense of awe and excitement.

Yeah, exactly. I was only mildly aware of it before mid last year (and TTGL irritated me at that, along with Code Geass, since they both seemed to be hogging attention from other favorites I had at the time). Then ADV advertising skin (forgive the pun Razz) turned up on ANN, and that finally got me to watch it in January, back to back with Code Geass. That was basically Anime 2.0 for me.
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
the licsened anime that got me excited was Ouran High School Host Club when Funi announced it last year at Otakon I was a happy camper, also when they said that they were gonna re-release Saiunkoku that also made me happy.

Mary
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
I picked currently licensed but not yet released. It would have applied to two titles I was really excited about, but they are finally releasing Ouran Host Club. So now it's sitting and waiting for word on D.Gray-Man.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
The content of the past two years has been so heavily into moe, or loli-com, or a combination of both, or heavy fanservice harum, or tsundere, that I haven't really been that interested in many of the UK licenses. Any title that really blows me away I will usually buy for my collection, and I haven't bought anything in 2 years. Even my rental list is getting thinner. I had planned on buying Kurau Phantom Memory in R2 until ADV canceled their release of vol 5 & 6 last summer. So that put pay to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3