• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
G4 Presents: Comic-Con '08 - Viz Media: Shojo Beat

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Weidenbaum mentioned that the first NANA DVD is due "early next year."

So they're officially releasing the show themselves?

Quote:
However, he expects that titles like NANA and Honey and Clover can succeed.

Maybe Nana, but H+C is a tough one.

Quote:
Most interestingly, Weidenbaum asked about the possibility of short original comics by contributing fans being featured in the magazine, and many attendees were interested in the idea.

I'm only interested, if they're good.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So they're officially releasing the show themselves?

I'm a bit confused what you're asking here. Viz licensed the NANA anime months ago. I agree that H&C will be a harder sell, though with the serialization they hopefully have managed to broaden the audience for the one at least a bit.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that we finally have at least an idea of when we'll be seeing NANA out. Also I think it's promising that they showed the Vampire Knight anime, even if they don't have the license, because I would love to see that one brought over here too (and I expect that Viz will probably get the license for it, unless someone else beats them to it).

I haven't heard of any of the other titles, but hopefully they'll have many previews in the magazine so I can get an idea of what they are about and whether I'd like to read more of them.

I think having short comics included could be good. At very least, they couldn't be that much worse than some other series which have run in the magazine, so I wouldn't be too upset if I ended up skipping them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
marie: Well, Viz previously said they were shopping Nana to other companies, so I was wondering if they were going to handle it.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the excerpt from the Vampire Knight anime was subbed?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When asked about the rather sparse schedule of Shojo Beat anime releases, Weidenbaum noted that Full Moon is currently out,...

I find it a little surprising that nobody interjected to him that Full Moon was on indefinite hiatus, let alone anybody asking about the title, especially after he said that.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't find the last two volumes of fullmoon I figured it was on hiatus (the only manga that my mother liked as well what a shame) at least we know they care about us shojo fans I was starting to feel forgotten in the sea of shounen.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Quote:
When asked about the rather sparse schedule of Shojo Beat anime releases, Weidenbaum noted that Full Moon is currently out,...

I find it a little surprising that nobody interjected to him that Full Moon was on indefinite hiatus, let alone anybody asking about the title, especially after he said that.

It's more than a little irksome that they are acting like Full Moon is in good shape and they've done a good job with it. "Yep, Full Moon is out, we're doing great." At least that's what it sounds like in the article. Rolling Eyes
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:

It wasn't. It was the Japanese trailer with the ending theme playing. Smile
flyer888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
Can anyone confirm whether the Honey and Clover and NANA clips were dubbed or subbed? (or a trailer)
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess- they're talking about the anime being on hiatus. the manga has all the volumes released already, you could try ordering them in at your bookstore if they don't appear to be stocking them Very Happy

noetheless I'm pleased that we at least have an area of when NANA is getting a release and VK was always assumed to be something that they would want, the manga's one of their most popular shojo titles
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
marie: Well, Viz previously said they were shopping Nana to other companies, so I was wondering if they were going to handle it.

I never heard about that, it seemed pretty official for awhile that they were handling it themselves (for example, SB magazine had an interview with the two VAs voicing the Nanas). Anyway, all confusion about that is ended now and we somewhat have a release. Hopefully it sells well enough that we don't have a repeat of the Full Moon situation.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
LKK wrote:

It wasn't. It was the Japanese trailer with the ending theme playing. Smile

Thank you for the answer. Viz's statement that they don't have the VK anime license is more believable to me if they showed the trailer than if they had shown a subtitled portion of one of the episodes.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
So . . . someone asked where the Viz shoujo anime is, and the representative responded by saying that the Full Moon manga is out? That's the only interpretation that makes sense given the fact the Full Moon anime was clearly announced as being on hiatus before being finished. Unless the rep just wasn't well-informed? I've always been a big Viz fan, but that's some pretty egregious question-dodging, and I agree with the previous poster that I'm surprised no one called him on it. I'm not even upset Full Moon is on hiatus (I'm not watching it, and I understand that if something is not making money, it makes sense to re-evaluate it, although I would like my Prince of Tennis box sets to appear again soon) so much as I'm frustrated with the refusal to address the specific issue head on. Heck, they could even just say, "We don't know yet what we're doing with Full Moon," and I'd be happy.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the industry is in a shift. Some titles were licensed under the old concept of individual dvds which is fast changing to box sets of various sizes. A title licensed with the idea of individual sales having to shift to probably a lower profit in box sets may not work.

The fans ARE often very cold to older titles. If it's more than 5 yrs old, it's too old. They want the bells & whistles of newer stuff which does suck because there are some wonderful older titles out there.

A friend of my daughter's with us at the Shonen Jump panel had NO CLUE as to who Stan Lee was. I have a decent sized movie collection & my daughter has seen a lot of my favs, yet various friends of hers have never seen titles like Uncle Buck, Back to the Future, the Indiana Jones series...
Kids these days...
parakiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
To be fair, the industry is in a shift. Some titles were licensed under the old concept of individual dvds which is fast changing to box sets of various sizes. A title licensed with the idea of individual sales having to shift to probably a lower profit in box sets may not work.

The fans ARE often very cold to older titles. If it's more than 5 yrs old, it's too old. They want the bells & whistles of newer stuff which does suck because there are some wonderful older titles out there.

A friend of my daughter's with us at the Shonen Jump panel had NO CLUE as to who Stan Lee was. I have a decent sized movie collection & my daughter has seen a lot of my favs, yet various friends of hers have never seen titles like Uncle Buck, Back to the Future, the Indiana Jones series...
Kids these days...

you're right alot of anime fans want newest anime. but i'll tell you one thing. I want my H&C. I think viz said they were thinking about a 2009 or 2010 release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2