• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's Kind of a FUNi Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess nobody would licenses Bakemonogatari then
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious on this one, so if Lance is looking and can answer: Why has the Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai) simulcast been slower the rest of the simulcast titles from this season, and also why is it not on Niconico yet like the rest? Disappointing since it's one of my favorites out of them.

Also add me once again to hoping that Shana and Black Lagoon will be outsourced to Ocean for dub continuity.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Totally going to listen to this tonight.

If I could, I would ask about some series getting bluray rereleases. I hate how subs look on dvd's, so even if it were an upscale I would go for it, and some stuff that they have on dvd have hd masters as well, so I would like to see those.

Also yes, I do hate combo packs. The King of Eden sticks out on my bluray shelf...
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed (but not surprised) by the news about Tatami Galaxy being unlikely to get a home-video release. When Funimation gets titles like that, my heart sinks, because I doubt DVD sales would cover the cost of a dub, and Funimation insists on putting dubs on their disks: therefore no home-video release.

It turns out that someone in the UK is releasing (region 2) DVDs of Tatami Galaxy at the end of December. Amazon.co.uk has it up for pre-order. People outside the UK pay a slightly lower price, because there's no Value Added Tax charged (for me, the reduction in price more than covered the cost of shipping).

Lain on BD? That's enough to make me get a BD player.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that the SAVE line is less "where underachievers go to die" and more "get it now while you can, because we may not be able to release it again." It kind of made me sad to see titles like Romeo x Juliet and Mushishi end up there when one presumed the former.

I was suprised to hear plans for Black Lagoon in Bluray - I thought that was one of the titles Funi lost the rights to this summer. Are these plans for the series as a whole or simply for the OVA?

I'm also sad to hear that they're not angling for Paranoia Agent, because my god does that show need a rerelease. You'd think that having Satoshi Kon's name attached to it would help, especially considering the resurgance of interest in his works after his death, but of course, just because a name is well-known amongst the anime fandom at large doesn't mean it can be a selling point for Joe Schmoe browsing for stuff at Best Buy.

Still, this was an interesting and very informative podcast, especially in regards to streaming and the whole Funico thing.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
PS, I want to echo the praise for Lance as a guest. I listen every week, and I think he is one of my favorite guests you have. Lots of great information.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Fairy Tail on TV? No way. There's way too much fanservice and bouncing boobs/nudity/forced skimpy outfits to really be salvageable on a kid's network like Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon. I doubt they'd pick it up. That's ultimately the problem. Censorship has cracked down on television, so good luck getting an anime on there without it being torn to pieces.

And what exactly would be the problem of the series getting "torn to pieces" for a TV broadcast when legally available uncut versions exist? The edited broadcast would only serve as a measure to increase fandom, and as long as the TV dub doesn't retcon things, there shouldn't be a problem within understanding what happened. I really doubt cleavage and nudity are the main story drivers in Fairy Tail, if it is then Mashima has become a bigger hack than I expected after RAVE.

Divineking wrote:
Given Fairy Tail is a kid's show technically I think that if they had actually tried for a TV deal it could have gotten kids interested which kind of makes me mad their possibly opting airing GT again over it.

I really doubt Nicktoons chose GT over FT. The most likely scenario was that they weren't interested in FT at all.
Youshou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

A-kon is awful. Just awful. I loved it when I went years ago, but now they don't even try to bring in international guests.

My name is Joe Chan -- the same one Lance mentions in the podcast -- and I have been working with the A-Kon senior management in order to help bring anime back to the forefront at the convention. I'm the new director of marketing and PR for the show, and I'm also in charge of industry, press, staff, and attendee relations for the convention, so you could say I have some influence over several different parts of the event.

Even if you don't attend next year, I'd like to ask that you at least keep an eye out on our announcements for this year and next. I hope that we can change your mind about us in that time.

We are also absolutely open to any feedback that you have, good or bad. Please feel free to drop us a line at feedback (at) a-kon.com.

Thanks!
Joe Chan
A-Kon Director of Marketing and PR
http://www.a-kon.com
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to have Lance and Funi back on, he always has a good amount of interesting info.

Sounds like the Geneon hurdles are finally really coming off with how they're finally able to discuss all those shows like Hellsing, Black Lagoon, and the Index mentions etc.

Hell yes, Black Lagoon confirmed for that BD! So happy! Awesome year with this and Hellsing finally getting passed most of the hurdles. I hope they can get it outsourced like Hellsing to bring back the incredible top of the line Black Lagoon dub and for continuity with the rest of the sets and the upcoming BD re-release of the two seasons and new OVAs! I'll double dip on both shows for the BD versions of the previous volumes/seasons. Smile

OMG the Lain Restore BD release is coming over and the materials are on their way?! Sooo freaking good!

Yeah The Count, I'd love to see Texhnolyze and Gankutsuou get BDs too. Since I've seen it more recently, man I can just imagine Gankutsuou right now with the enhanced clarity, so much eyecandy (and a great show).

Liked hearing that streaming success shows are having just as much success when Funi's bringing out the BD/DVD sets.

Nice to hear the quick Last Exile: Fam and FMA movie mentions as they started running through the positives and good events as those are two of my favorite franchises it's always nice hearing them come up well heh. Smile

Charred Knight wrote:
It's kind of sad that you look at the current anime coming out and only Tiger and Bunny is able to gain new fans (other anime like Fairy Tail are pretty much just going to sell to people who are already anime fans.

I am really glad that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released before Aniplex got the idea to release anime subtitled for 500 dollars for 13 episodes.

Very true, Tiger & Bunny has so much potential to be quite successful, with it's incredibly international feel, if released right, honestly speaking this thing deserves to be on AS too (it even has the feel of a Big O style highly international show - not to mention there are reasons for that given some of the staff and episode staff), I can't wait see it again and love it all over again with a good dub as the show in fansub form was fantastic (really hope Viz takes their first jump into Blu-ray with this as it totally deserves it).

Loving my Fairy Tail part 1 set, I could see that slightly breaking out from the straight BD/DVD release if it's on the store shelves, but ofcourse it's good enough that it should get a TV deal where it could hit some non-anime fans. The idea that it couldn't air is stupid, they might need to digitally cover a few things here and there like most shows unless it gets on AS but those kind of shots haven't caused any problems with Bleach and half the time Rangiku's on the screen lol (or some of Yoruichi's scenes after she transforms sometimes). Plus even if it was a broadcast version they did air Rave Master and if I remember correctly Elle was put in outfits or minor fanservice on occasion.

Agreed, imagine if FMA: B had been the first version and it got released like that and never had the chance to be as big as it is.

I really hope this doesn't bring the Aniplex convo over but since it was discussed as expected I'm really disappointed that it sounds like Aniplex indeed isn't even offering some of the stuff they haphazardly feel as Zac said they can charge stupid prices on that they want to do themselves to see if they might get at least a decent deal from a Funi, etc. rather than the "import" for a show that might actually have some impact in the US fandom beyond the couple of "import buyers".

Wow, fantastic show, so many Funi titles I'll be buying and great Geneon-show news.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 7 times in total
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really doubt Nicktoons chose GT over FT. The most likely scenario was that they weren't interested in FT at all.

Possibly, but if Funi was smart they;d have used GT as a bargining chip to get FT on Nicktoons. Nicktoons needs GT on TV more than Funi does. It already had one(sadly) sucessful run.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
@The Count@

Dude I can't wait 100 more years for index to come out. Also I don't change my Avatat because I don't feel like looking for a picture small enough to put there. I stole that Avatar from someone on this site when I signed up (Or when I officially started posting here) I don't even notice it, but Seriously FUNimation is Failing me these days. I don't care about all the stuff they license because we gotta wait millions of years to actually buy them.
Yes, but you do understand why it's taking awhile for titles like Index and Shana to come out, right? Especially with the answer being explained (again) in here? I mean, when the complications are coming from the Japanese licensors themselves, it's not like Funimation has much of a choice but to delay their releases.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lance claims to want a smart sci-fi, so I'm still perplexed as to how Time of Eve stays unlicensed. That's pretty much the top smart sci-fi show (that is still widely marketable) that I know of.

Time of Eve was really great. They could just release the movie, which is all the OVAs + extra content. At this point there is really no reason to release or watch the OVAs anymore, since the movie is the "complete work".
And as far as I know anime movies generally sell fine, since many people buy a single movie, even if it's a more unkown one, rather than starting a series.

And the other smart sci-fi show I'm still waiting for is Denno Coil. O_o
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
It's kind of sad that you look at the current anime coming out and only Tiger and Bunny is able to gain new fans (other anime like Fairy Tail are pretty much just going to sell to people who are already anime fans.

I am really glad that Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was released before Aniplex got the idea to release anime subtitled for 500 dollars for 13 episodes.

......I really hope this doesn't bring the Aniplex convo over but since it was discussed as expected I'm really disappointed that it sounds like Aniplex indeed isn't even offering some of the stuff they haphazardly feel as Zac said they can charge stupid prices on that they want to do themselves to see if they might get at least a decent deal from a Funi, etc. rather than the "import" for a show that might actually have some impact in the US fandom beyond the couple of "import buyers".

Well, at least not yet. It looks to me like Aniplex is trying out all sorts of different business models and price structures. The Baccano!! BD set was fairly reasonable, IMO. I have both Funi's DVD sets and the Aniplex BD box. Who knows for sure that Aniplex won't be licensing domestic sets after they are done selling import boxes? I'm willing to wait and see what happens. The economics of it is kind of interesting to me, actually.

Everybody here is a Lance fan! What? No love for Adam? In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being a Lance fan too. But I will root for Adam as well! Maybe Adam just needs a few more one-liners like:

Quote:
spoiler[Lance: "It's a show about punching meat."]

Laughing

So. Go! Go! Adam

I'm glad that you guys at Funimation throw us fangirls a bone (in totally non-pervy way, BTW) now and then by licensing something like Princess Jellyfish. I thank you for that. I guess Ouran and Hetalia sales have let you guys know that we are out here and we have money. Razz

So thank you.

(oh, I pre-ordered Princess Jellyfish, and will pre-order Natsume's Book of Friends if you ever decide to license it.... no pressure. Well....yes... pressure..... but erm....derp derp.)

Rockin' show everyone! Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Everybody here is a Lance fan! What? No love for Adam? In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit to being a Lance fan too. But I will root for Adam as well! Maybe Adam just needs a few more one-liners like:

Quote:
spoiler[Lance: "It's a show about punching meat."]

Laughing

So. Go! Go! Adam

I'm glad that you guys at Funimation throw us fangirls a bone (in totally non-pervy way, BTW) now and then by licensing something like Princess Jellyfish. I thank you for that. I guess Ouran and Hetalia sales have let you guys know that we are out here and we have money. Razz

So thank you.

(oh, I pre-ordered Princess Jellyfish, and will pre-order Natsume's Book of Friends if you ever decide to license it.... no pressure. Well....yes... pressure..... but erm....derp derp.)

Rockin' show everyone! Very Happy

Well said, LOL, both were great. LOL at the one-liner, where was that one-liner again?

Oh yeah, freaking awesome hearing that Darker Than Black 2's delivering the sales and even beyond expectations Smile Love the DTB franchise. (And Fairy Tail starting strong).

FLCL still kicking ass.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
NicoNico is horrible. I would rather watch Fate Zero one week later at CR than watch it on NicoNico. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6