• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Still ripping into each other instead of talking about anime I see? Im just going to sit back and watch the fandom die like at has been over the past year.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The concerns over what constitutes editing IS valid. Like its been mentioned before would removing the Pizza Hutt logo in Code Geass constitute editing? Although i will say any company who doesn't release unedited dvds doesnt deserve much pity. Just look at what happens with 99% of anime thats released without an unedited version on dvd. Its not pretty.

This isn't a proper proposal for a new law. Its a paper done for an assignment analying a current law and looking at possible re-interpretations.

Anyone thinking that a paper like this is a cry to change the law is sadly mistaken. It's a freaking assignment raising a hypothetical question on an interpretation of a law.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Still ripping into each other instead of talking about anime I see? Im just going to sit back and watch the fandom die like at has been over the past year.

This is trolling. If you don't like what's being discussed in this thread, stop reading it.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Just look at what happens with 99% of anime thats released without an unedited version on dvd. Its not pretty.

This isn't a proper proposal for a new law. Its a paper done for an assignment analying a current law and looking at possible re-interpretations.

Anyone thinking that a paper like this is a cry to change the law is sadly mistaken. It's a freaking assignment raising a hypothetical question on an interpretation of a law.

I completely agree with you that NOT releasing an unedited version is bad marketing that bites companies in the butt, which is why I think any change to the law in this regard is unnecessary when market forces are already correcting for it.

But, I didn't just quote you to agree with you. Actually, law journal and law review articles are not generally written as "assignments." The majority of law school classes don't even HAVE writing requirements (the entire grade is just one final at the end). If you want to write a journal article, you sometimes have to take a class to make sure what you write isn't going to be garbage, but the paper is not written FOR the class. The class is there to encourage and sometimes edit a paper that is already being written. Some law journals and reviews will publish casenotes (commentary on individual cases--although if Mr. Daniels is a member of this law journal, perhaps he wrote this in place of a casenote) written by their members, but most of them wouldn't publish something someone just wrote for a class. It would take too much work in the editing process (I was a law journal editor, and we turned down articles that would take more work than we had time for). I disagree with Mr. Daniels, but I'm extremely impressed with the fact he wrote an article like this while still in school.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Zac wrote:

It's hardly a "professional academic journal". Law review publications are basically a collection of notable student essays that don't get distributed outside the campus walls unless requested by libraries or other institutions.

Zac, with all due respect, law reviews, especially from a brand-name law school, are something other lawyers (as well as judges, etc.) take pretty seriously. In fact, most of the content in them is written by professors, and everything, including the student notes, undergoes rigorous peer review. Yeah, you're not likely to find a volume in the local public library, but most law schools, courts, and big law firms receive them automatically.

Just to add: law review articles are considered "secondary legal resources" that courts may cite in support of their decisions. As far as the legal support heirarchy goes, law review articles are generally below the Constitution (U.S. and State), statutes, and previous cases in terms of their legal strength for citation. However, I highly doubt that a court would cite this article for support, since most courts cite law review articles authored by law professors or well-established legal professionals.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Zac wrote:

It's hardly a "professional academic journal". Law review publications are basically a collection of notable student essays that don't get distributed outside the campus walls unless requested by libraries or other institutions. A good friend of mine had several essays printed in her school's psychology review journal as an undergrad; it's not quite the authoritative source you might think. This is a student essay, not a professor or a lawyer having something published in a professional national publication.

Which begs the question, why is it on the front page? I mean, it's not like it's going to become relevant to our lives anytime soon...

Easy, this kinda stuff attracts peoples' attention and brings ad revenue in. ANN doesn't tell the news, it makes the news. I know this is a relatively old post, but I'm suprised no one was able to answer it.

(On a different note, whoever that tells others to learn Japanese and calls people who want to watch unaltered anime "lazy" for not doing so probably doesn't actually know anything about the language, or any other language for that matter. If he did, he'd probably have an appreciation for the amount of time, effort and practice one has to put into in order to learn it.)
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I sent a pm to sheighton CR member about the money they are making off all the files on there and this is the answer I got back.

You really are an idiot aren't you? CR is not selling anything. All of its profit comes from perfectly legal means. It takes a certain amount of money to operate the sever, but if the ads and the donations come out to more than the cost, you have a profit...

Perfectly legal means?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
I sent a pm to sheighton CR member about the money they are making off all the files on there and this is the answer I got back.

You really are an idiot aren't you? CR is not selling anything. All of its profit comes from perfectly legal means. It takes a certain amount of money to operate the sever, but if the ads and the donations come out to more than the cost, you have a profit...

Perfectly legal means?

Well, I think they may be technically correct. They are performing illegal acts by infringing on copyright. However, they are not selling that pirated content so they aren't technically profiting from an illegal act. However, they are using that illegal act to draw people to their site which allows them to legally profit from advertisements. Technically they are not profiting directly from an illegal act. Of course it's that's just splitting hairs since ultimately they are performing an illegal act and ultimately are only able to profit thanks to that act.
AnimeDevilDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Kireek wrote:

Perfectly legal means?

Well, I think they may be technically correct. They are performing illegal acts by infringing on copyright. However, they are not selling that pirated content so they aren't technically profiting from an illegal act. However, they are using that illegal act to draw people to their site which allows them to legally profit from advertisements. Technically they are not profiting directly from an illegal act. Of course it's that's just splitting hairs since ultimately they are performing an illegal act and ultimately are only able to profit thanks to that act.

The use of illegal acts to draw in customers who then view the advertisements does make the monies earned in fact illegal. The same rule applies to the monies that come in from donations by subscribers. To continue the point, those who donate are aiding and abbetting a criminal act by supporting a company that is overtly in violation of the law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7