• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Card Captor Chihaya

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpg13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I would say this list is spot on. I'm amazed how much I enjoy Chihaya. No violence or fan service and still fun to watch.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Because of Chihayafuru, I got interested enough to ask White Rabbit Express, a Japanese buying service, if they could recommend a Karuta set (with CD) so my wife could get it for me for Christmas. Now their affiliate, White Rabbit Press, is selling a set. [For potential cynics, I am not affiliated with the firm and don't get anything for passing on this information, other than the satisfaction that someone else might be interested in Karuta.]
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
With a CD? I guess that works if you can put your player on shuffle. Otherwise you would probably end up memorizing the sequence.
zeonozero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with Phi-Brain. Although the puzzles go fast, its just fun to look forward to every week.

Im a little upset that Guilty Crown is in the last rank though Razz I feel it should be a little higher up

I dont like how Future Diary went down either. The kid may have been annoying, but at least we are getting a diverse range of characters who own diaries, not just teenagers and middle adults, it was a good episode.
Karisu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Re: Persona
"The pacing and judicious use of side stories has helped distance itself from feeling too much like a video game, but it still has a ways to go."

Um... huh?
The pacing in the game is even slower than the pacing in the anime and all of the side stories (and many more) are in the game. So by your logic, the game feels less like a game than the anime does.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Re: Persona
"The pacing and judicious use of side stories has helped distance itself from feeling too much like a video game, but it still has a ways to go."

Um... huh?
The pacing in the game is even slower than the pacing in the anime and all of the side stories (and many more) are in the game. So by your logic, the game feels less like a game than the anime does.

Persona 4: I think it's because the pacing is faster than the game, is what she is saying. Though I have to agree that the humor is very parochial. It is almost like they are assuming that gamers are a bunch of mouth-breathing, homophobic, misogynist Beavis and Butthead types. Kind of insulting to gamers, since most of them aren't like that at all. (and actually are fairly sophisticated in the humor dept.)

Glad to see Un-Go rising in the rankings. I really like this show. I think it is using the episodic format to get to a larger goal, sort of like each episode is a clue. (though I hope I'm not just being trolled.)

LOL. I remarked on another thread that I forgot to watch Guilty Crown after seeing the first episode. It's pretty, but there is nothing original, and I didn't connect with any of the characters. I'm probably not going to bother watching it. Time constraints and other shows beckon.

The biggest disappointment for me so far has been Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing. There are too many idle scenes, and I have never wished for a dub more. I guess the show is trying to appease the cute-girls-doing-cute-things crowd, and that may account for the dragging scenes. Those girls are squeaky and boring. I usually like Japanese voice acting, but in this case the voices are really irritating. So irritating it interferes with my enjoyment of the show. A dub, I hope, would improve it. Not enough of a mix of characters either. This harem of girls is extremely homogeneous, with Dio almost qualifying as the trap character. I hope it improves. At this point, I'm considering dropping it.

Love this column. Good job Bamboo!
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
My fav anime this season would have to be Future Diary Smile. After, fate/zero. With this statement, I would have to agree with this list. Although guilty crown should be 1 up and samurai girls should not be there. That is my humble opinion. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Elated to see Chihayafuru get more love from The Stream. And what's great about it is that (in my opinion) the 9th episode was even better than the 7th and 8th episodes. I really, really hope it can get a stateside release.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the anime (or game) of Persona 4 is genuinely homophobic. Sure, spoiler[Yu, Yosuke, and Chie were nervous about facing Shadow Kanji, but all the Shadow versions are overly-exaggerated versions of the person's hidden-self so they were right to be nervous. Obviously the genuine Kanji would never molest Yu and Yosuke or hate women (he even points out how the latter is not true) just like how the real Chie considers Yukiko her best friend and not just someone she uses to make herself feel better. Sure, Yosuke might be uncomfortable sleeping next to him, but it doesn't change the fact that he still considers Kanji to be a friend. Plus there's the fact that Yu thinks Kanji should be proud of his "feminine" side.

Actually, so far, the anime has been nicer to Hanako (the overweight girl) than the game. In the game, she's quite the arrogant jerk, here she doesn't seem particularly mean. And heck, Kanji seemed to feel something for her so they even avoided implying "she's fat, so no one could be interested in her". like the game sorta did.]
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
zeonozero wrote:
I totally agree with Phi-Brain. Although the puzzles go fast, its just fun to look forward to every week.

Im a little upset that Guilty Crown is in the last rank though Razz I feel it should be a little higher up

I was thinking of checking out Phi-Brain just for the absurdity of it. And yeah, Guilty Crown I think should be higher up. Not the most original thing ever, but it is a hell of a ride.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Whoo, Chihayafuru is still great!!! ^__^

I'm curious as to how many episodes Hunter X Hunter will have.
After looking at their Wiki page, it's still currently in the first arc (apparently there are seven so far in the manga). I'm hoping it will be like FMA:Brotherhood and finish when the manga ends.
If it ever does...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I love The Stream. I find it to be the most interesting column ANN has at the moment (no offence to other columnists), and it is nice to see Chihayafuru get the props it deserves. Also nice to see Bamboo change her mind on Fate/Zero; from her current reactions you would never suspect that she once didn't like it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The HxH manga will not end for a long, long time. Especially with the new Dragon Quest game being released. But the recent chapters have been so awesome that it's fine with me. As a HxH fan, you just get used to the frequent hiatuses. As for an episode count of the 2011 series, I've heard that it was initially solicited for 40-something episodes. That would put it at the end of Yorkshin most likely. But I imagine if the TV ratings are still decent then it can get extended to cover Greed Island and the Chimera Ant arc (which is what most of us are waiting to see animated). To be honest though, I don't see that happening. I think they're going to have to shift to OVAs once again to cover the later material.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I always look forward to Guilty Crown because I adore the theme song. I find it really motivational and moving. But outside of that, I do agree with your general thoughts, though I can't say I laugh at the show. It's very easy for me to take characters seriously.

I was also extremely moved by the Majikoi speech on nationalism. I beleive that was in episode 6, but I'm not certain. I thought it was well acted and extremely well written, and I'm surprised that you didn't mention it.

Anywho, once again, thanks for the wonderful article. I really enjoy refreshingly pleasant tone, and thoughtful commentary. (>")>
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
"Mildly pleasant, but mostly just disappointing" is how I would describe my view of Seiji Mizushima as a whole. While watching his work I see a masterpiece just wanting to break out. If he had emphasized Hohenheim, spoiler[Dante, and Envy's relationship], or if he had made Celestial Being's the villains who try to prevent war in a misguided way both series would have been a lot better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3