• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Creators Confirmed to Launch Bakuman Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
SaraFilipa wrote:
championferret wrote:
Really? I remember reading 'she' somewhere, but not in a scanlation. (I can't actually think whereabouts in a scanlation it would say...)
In any case, her/his self-potrait looked rather feminine to me.
I just found this interview which quotes Tsugumi Ohba as being a female. However I find that unlikely (the possibility of her being a woman) considering how stereotyped and weak are most of the female characters she created (excepting perhaps Misora Naomi).

Are you talking about this portrait?

Not that portrait exactly, but close enough. It was a different picture anyway.

I disagree with it being 'unlikely'. As said..alot of shojo manga I've read by female creators have female characters that could be considered far more 'sexist' than Misa. (personally I dont really find her sexist, I find her adorable, but that's besides the point.)
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Ohba's gender, I think it could go either way. The way female characters are portrayed reminds me of both a male author, and a female yaoi mangaka.... In alot of yaoi manga, the female characters are shown as being sort of weak and undesireable. I'm not saying that Ohba was definitely a yaoi fangirl, but the little fanservice in Death Note (like having Light and L chained together. I mean, the intention was definitely to give fangirls with overactive imaginations another reason to read along) makes me think that Ohba could be a woman. But then again, if Ohba really is a pseudonym for Hiroshi Gamo, then it wouldn't surprise me to think that the author's male. Does anyone have any information about the 'clues' that point to Hiroshi Gamo? because I looked the guy up, and he's apparently famous for a gag manga. :/ Doesn't sound Death Note-ish to me, but maybe that's why he took a pen name.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ohba's real identity and gender is simply unknown. It's actually strictly kept secret, apparently even among the Shonen Jump editors only very few know about it.
The only facts we have is that Tsugumi is a female first name, but since it might be a pen name that still doesn't prove anything. Same goes for the portraits, it might just be a picture the author likes (like some authors put up pictures of their pets). And also that Ohba sits on chairs the same way L does Very Happy
Some authors like to keep those matters private. It's not that important anyway, what counts is the work they create ^^

Anyway, I will stick to "she" since as said "Tsugumi" is female, so the identity "Tsugumi Ohba" is supposed to be female, no matter who is behind it.

I'm also looking forward to the new manga to see if Ohba is more than a one hit wonder (eventhough it has also been said that the author is a veteran).
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I just read Bakuman scanlations and I loved it! It' s nothing like Death Note--it's a comedy,but it makes references Death Note.
I'm waiting for future chapters. Very Happy
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I just read it too and it's pretty good.
I'm already warming up to the characters and the ending to chapter 1 was pretty funny xD

I love the silly expressions those guys make lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3