• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon: Second Barrage DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I'll be picking this up later today (supposedly, Best Buy finally got them in stock...)...

However...if they aren't....I'mma seriously be pished... Evil or Very Mad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Good to hear about all the dub improvements; I remember all of those things from when I watched the show in Japanese. Can't wait to watch these eps in English, they're good fun.
parakiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
I'll be picking this up later today (supposedly, Best Buy finally got them in stock...)...

I know what you mean. I check yesterday to see if they had the dvd. But I will go today again to get xxxholic and see if I can talk to a manager to see what going on.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
parakiss wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

I know what you mean. I check yesterday to see if they had the dvd. But I will go today again to get xxxholic and see if I can talk to a manager to see what going on.

Golly gee. What a surprise. Not a single damn store had it...

Oh well. Alan over from FYE is a good friend of mine, so I ordered the LE set for about 25$ there...

I'll have to wait about a week though before I can pick it up... A year of waiting...I can hold out another week, right...? (even though I already waited a month longer than I should have thanks to certain wittle douchebags... Anime hyper )
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Although I was content just to be able to experience the English dub via Starz Edge (since the DVDs were in doubt at the time), I am very happy to finally own this so I can watch the crazy vampire twins arc whenever I want. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I got fed up with Best Buy and ordered from RACS a week ago, and watched it this weekend.

I did check BB today to see if it was in (it was not).

After the third episode of the Vampire twins arc, I turned to a friend who was watching with me and said "Now there is something you don't see everyday!". My voice may have broke a little as I spoke, since I had just sat through the very nice ending sequence for that episode.

A little while previously, Gretel had told Revy that they were the same. A glimpse into Revy's future?
delariean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
With Best buy...you cannot get it in store...you have to order it online. So they do have it, just not in stores....
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well I watched all 24 epsiodes on the Canada version of G4Tech TV since i have satalite. i liked the epsiodes,but really got turned off at epsiode 15 cause killing off the twins was too much even for me. Don't anyone agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nx6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
There is one complaint I have about this release, and I guess the other Black Lagoon discs before: You can only get the 5.1 audio in English. I prefer the original voices acting in this series and I can't watch that unless I settle for the 2.0 track.

Is there any reason DVDs still need to ship with 2.0 audio tracks? Any modern DVD player is going to downmix them to 2 channel if it needs to.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
5.1 mixes for Japanese audio are rare on anime titles outside of movies; I think it may have something to do with 5.1 mixes not being used in the original TV broadcasts but I'm not sure. Anyway, since American companies usually have to remix a title's soundtrack for 5.1 themselves, they only bother to do it on the dubs because they know that's what sells the DVDs. (This is probably also why you rarely hear 5.1 mixes on subbed-only releases.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mevious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Good stuff, Black Lagoon. The problem is, though, that because it's so much like a cheesy U.S. summer blockbuster, I only ever feeling watching it in the summertime.

The twins arc was my favorite, though. It did a good job of showing how outside of normal the world of Black Lagoon was.
rebii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
since American companies usually have to remix a title's soundtrack for 5.1 themselves, they only bother to do it on the dubs because they know that's what sells the DVDs. (This is probably also why you rarely hear 5.1 mixes on subbed-only releases.)

This would be reasonable except for the fact during remix they must isolate the voices to assign them their own channels. Instead of stripping the Japanese, it seems to me they could keep that as its own remix, then copy the remix to strip the Japanese for the dub. Not a lot of extra work involved given the state of the art software now available.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally as a non-fan of remixes, I prefer that they leave the Japanese track alone. There's no problem in my eyes to remix the dub, as it's a remix to begin with, but I don't always equate 5.1 as superior by default, especially if it wasn't made that way to begin with. If the show's original audio is stereo, then have it in stereo. Nothing wrong with it. The original stereo mix is also going to be preferable than a DVD player downmix. It's silly to tout such as an alternative anyway, as it's about original presentation, not catering to those without surround sound. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Mevious wrote:
Good stuff, Black Lagoon. The problem is, though, that because it's so much like a cheesy U.S. summer blockbuster, I only ever feeling watching it in the summertime.

The twins arc was my favorite, though. It did a good job of showing how outside of normal the world of Black Lagoon was.

Exactely.WHich is why i got turned off on it.Sure the violence was good and all but come on! what they want through was way over the line for me,especially ep 15.When it comes to cold hearted,that russian bimbo was thw worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1