• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Club Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Good luck with the Triathlon, Bamboo!

I am pretty much a Tench Muyo rube, and until I saw this review, I was going to buy Sasami sight unseen, but maybe I'll rent it first now. I was a little dissapointed in the lack of returning voices in either the English or Japanese side. I also saw the trailer at Funi's site, and the way they were pronoucing Sasami's name seemed off to me.

The dub names are off. I asked the director about this here.

If you read my review (link to my blog entry is posted earlier), I discuss the voice changes on the Japanese side, including the use of real girls as seiyuu for the girl characters (the boys are still voiced by adult women). Razz
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:

Even though I am a dub fan, if you like a good Magical Girl parody, you must check out (the sub-only) Magical Project S - a classic!

Sure, hate on the OVA, like everyone else. It's only my third favorite anime ever. Sad
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
snl67 wrote:

Even though I am a dub fan, if you like a good Magical Girl parody, you must check out (the sub-only) Magical Project S - a classic!

Sure, hate on the OVA, like everyone else. It's only my third favorite anime ever. Sad

Where is the hate? I own and like the OVA as well, but there is a lot more to enjoy in 26 episodes - not to mention there was a lot more poking fun at the Magical Girl genre as well. The fact that I didn't mention the OVA hardly counts as "hating" on it.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I know, I know. But a lot of people do hate the OVA, while I like it a ridiculous amount.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I know, I know. But a lot of people do hate the OVA, while I like it a ridiculous amount.

If you turned Ryo-Ohki into a dude, don't you think you would get some ire?

/Liked the Sammy OVA
GHS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The thing I'm wondering most about right now is what appeal does Negima (which was on her shelf) have for girls anyway. Love Hina, sure, that I can understand but not for Negima though.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have gotta throw in with the Beck praise, I had it queued at the top of my list to determine if I wanted to buy the box. I started the series on Netflix the same time as The Third, made it though all seven of the Third but only two of Beck which was annoying.

Happened to drop by a Best Buy, and saw the set sitting there for $49.99 5 days before it was supposed to be out, and me with a $50 gift card.

I was not really hooked until the awsome visual display of the Dying Breed Concert in #12. Seeing a big band in a medium size venue, I thought it was captured perfectly. I spent the entire weekend marathoning the rest, and then rewatching sequences from the show for HOURS.

Easily my best $50 anime purchase. My opinion of Slip Out, the first two verses are a bit trite, but once the third verses and the bridges kick in, and throw in a false ending.... good stuff.

I will be buying a box of the Third when it comes out also, I thought it was a good story told competently, above average.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
snl67 wrote:
Good luck with the Triathlon, Bamboo!

I am pretty much a Tench Muyo rube, and until I saw this review, I was going to buy Sasami sight unseen, but maybe I'll rent it first now. I was a little dissapointed in the lack of returning voices in either the English or Japanese side. I also saw the trailer at Funi's site, and the way they were pronoucing Sasami's name seemed off to me.

The dub names are off. I asked the director about this here.

If you read my review (link to my blog entry is posted earlier), I discuss the voice changes on the Japanese side, including the use of real girls as seiyuu for the girl characters (the boys are still voiced by adult women). Razz

I glanced over the interview and noticed that the director states that this is the correct way to pronounce "Sasami". However, her assertion that the Japanese always put the emphasis on the first syllable is incorrect - if anything , they don't put emphasis on any syllable. I can't speak to how the Japanese Seiyuu pronounce "Sasami" in this show since I have yet to see any of it beyond the English trailer, but I do own every Tenchi series available on DVD in the US. I can say that the Seiyuu from those shows NEVER pronunced "Sasami" the way they do in this shows dub. I even pulled out Magical Project S just to make sure I didn't just hear it wrong, but all that did was confirm it to me. It was always pronounced, "suh-sahm-ee", not "Sahs-uh-mee". Hearing that trailer felt so strange with that pronunciation.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
I glanced over the interview and noticed that the director states that this is the correct way to pronounce "Sasami". However, her assertion that the Japanese always put the emphasis on the first syllable is incorrect - if anything , they don't put emphasis on any syllable. I can't speak to how the Japanese Seiyuu pronounce "Sasami" in this show since I have yet to see any of it beyond the English trailer, but I do own every Tenchi series available on DVD in the US. I can say that the Seiyuu from those shows NEVER pronunced "Sasami" the way they do in this shows dub. I even pulled out Magical Project S just to make sure I didn't just hear it wrong, but all that did was confirm it to me. It was always pronounced, "suh-sahm-ee", not "Sahs-uh-mee". Hearing that trailer felt so strange with that pronunciation.

Well, I didn't follow up on that (I mean, what could I say?), but there is no way that the Japanese pronounce "Sa" as "Su" in any circumstance. I'm not sure what Leah was hearing because it is clear to me that it is "Sasami" not "Sasumi" and it is pretty clear that it is "Ryo-ohki" not "Roy-ohki." Sad Oh well.

Still, I obviously enjoyed the anime (on the Japanese side) since I keep posting here. *lol*
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
snl67 wrote:

Well, I didn't follow up on that (I mean, what could I say?), but there is no way that the Japanese pronounce "Sa" as "Su" in any circumstance. I'm not sure what Leah was hearing because it is clear to me that it is "Sasami" not "Sasumi" and it is pretty clear that it is "Ryo-ohki" not "Roy-ohki." Sad Oh well.

Still, I obviously enjoyed the anime (on the Japanese side) since I keep posting here. *lol*

Well, perhaps it because of the lack of emphasis that the first syllable sound more like "Suh" then "Sah" to me, but the main thing is the second syllable, plus it sounds like they are calling her Sauce - ami!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4