• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ranma 1/2 Short Debuts at Takahashi's Tokyo Event

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
Is it possible that Rumiko Takahashi's stories will never die?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never expected there to be anymore Ranma 1/2 after the twelve OVA's.

Hopefully this short will be licensed and will have orginal cast members. Richard Ian Cox did such a fantastic job with Ranma, as well as the other cast members.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
It'd be great if they animated even more Ranma beyond this special-especially to see the last chapter adapted...... the OVA's were pretty far along in the manga too.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Hopefully this short will be licensed and will have orginal cast members. Richard Ian Cox did such a fantastic job with Ranma, as well as the other cast members.

I don't think it'll be a problem to reunite the original cast considering that it was dubbed by Ocean but I strongly disagree about Cox fitting the role as Ranma. Sarah Strange I thought really fit Ranma's male personality to a T and Cox just made him sound like a punk from Season 4 and up. I only hope if Viz does decide to get this that they will get Sarah Strange back to voice Ranma again. I believe any contract disputes that she had with Viz back then are already long over with.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I don't think it'll be a problem to reunite the original cast considering that it was dubbed by Ocean but I strongly disagree about Cox fitting the role as Ranma. Sarah Strange I thought really fit Ranma's male personality to a T and Cox just made him sound like a punk from Season 4 and up. I only hope if Viz does decide to get this that they will get Sarah Strange back to voice Ranma again. I believe any contract disputes that she had with Viz back then are already long over with.

Nah, I think Richard Cox fit Ranma more (and he sounds closer to Kappei Yamaguchi) , plus Sarah Strange quit voice acting (plus I didn't like her performance as Ranma to begin with) so, Ranma's pretty much gonna be Richard Cox anyway!!

I think Maryke Hendriske, would do well as Akane (although I despise her) , considering Myriam Sirios no longer does voice acting (plus I didn't like her high pitched yelling, it should have been more like Noriko Hidaka's ), and Jillian Micheals would probably nail Nabiki Tendo's sarcasm (that's probably the whole reason I like Nabiki)
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thats geat that there is another Ranma 1/2 short. I thought Ranma 1/2 was gone, and that I was one of the few people who still liked it. Its nice to see that Ranma still lives on.
But I have a question about this Ranma 1/2 short being the first one in 12 years? I thought the Ranma 1/2 TV series ended in 2002? Unless are they talking about the OVAs?
To know what I'm talking about, look up Ranma 1/2 in the encyclopedia.
zanth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ranma was finished being released in the US in 2002, but it ended in Japan in 1992, with OAVs following that. I hope this new short is well enough received to maybe get a few more OAVs done, especially the ending. It deserves that at least.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Thats geat that there is another Ranma 1/2 short. I thought Ranma 1/2 was gone, and that I was one of the few people who still liked it. Its nice to see that Ranma still lives on.
But I have a question about this Ranma 1/2 short being the first one in 12 years? I thought the Ranma 1/2 TV series ended in 2002? Unless are they talking about the OVAs?
To know what I'm talking about, look up Ranma 1/2 in the encyclopedia.

The 2002 dates mentioned in the Encyclopedia article are the release dates for the final boxset of Rnama 1/2 in North America. The area under vintage has the Japanese airdates at the very top, which ended in 1992. The OAV's continued on from 1993 to 1996, which is where the "new anime in 12 years" comes from.

It'd be nice to see this available in R1, even if on just a special DVD (how about pairing it with a release of the old Ranma 1/2 Video Jukbox?). Though, I'm almost guaranteed VIZ would get it and I'd hate to see VIZ really go after the nostalgia factor and charge old-school Ranma 1/2 prices. Sad
Iru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
No one says "uncute" better than Sarah Strange ;P

But yeah, I'd love to see some new Ranma animation. If there will be a DVD release, I'd buy the R2. I wonder if the rest of the [original] cast remained the same?
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
... the OVA's were pretty far along in the manga too.

I'll have to look it up but I think the chapter they're basing this on is somewhere in volume 32, 33, or 34... ish. But I think they probably just picked it because it was easy to do a one shot story off of it. The fact that I don't remember it too well tells me it was likely not part of one of the longer or more important arcs.

I really doubt there'll be more anime past this. There'd probably have to be an overwhelmingly huge demand for this special and a rebirth in sales for the original series, OAVs, and movies for them to consider it. It's more likely they'd do a short series, OAV series, or even just another movie for the ending of Inuyasha since that is more recent, the manga ending that is.

That said though, I would also love to see the final arc and the last chapter afterward animated. That final arc had it's silly and sometimes redundant moments, most chapters did by that point, but I did like it and how it ended. I think I enjoyed the last couple of pages in that story more than any part of the last chapter.

SalarymanJoe wrote:
It'd be nice to see this available in R1, even if on just a special DVD (how about pairing it with a release of the old Ranma 1/2 Video Jukbox?). Though, I'm almost guaranteed VIZ would get it and I'd hate to see VIZ really go after the nostalgia factor and charge old-school Ranma 1/2 prices. Sad

I'd definitely love to see this special made available and I'd even pay vintage VIZ Ranma pricing if they released it along with the Video Jukebox.

Iru wrote:
But yeah, I'd love to see some new Ranma animation. If there will be a DVD release, I'd buy the R2. I wonder if the rest of the [original] cast remained the same?

I'm not sure if Tatewaki Kuno is in this episode but even if they somehow kept the rest of the cast, very sadly, Kuno-chan's voice would not be the same. He was always one of my favorite characters in the anime mostly because of how the late great Hirotaka Suzuoki played the role. I never liked the character as much in the manga.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

SalarymanJoe wrote:

I'd definitely love to see this special made available and I'd even pay vintage VIZ Ranma pricing if they released it along with the Video Jukebox.

Me too, it doesn't matter the cost, if it's more Ranma it has to be done
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's the intro video in case anyone missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf953nWYSlA&feature=related
RJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Thanks for the link! My Japanese is terrible but if I understand correctly, Inuyasha was wondering why he and Ranma had the same voice. If so, thats hilarious.
It was Sarah strange that made Ranma who he was to me. That other guy just didn't measure up. In fact, I have to say that Ranma 1/2 is one of the few animes where I favoured the dub over the original Japanese. This video temps me to unearth all my Ranma VHS tapes so I could reminisce.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Yeah, I hadn't seen that, thanks! That was great. Ranma wondering what Jusenkyo spring Inuyasha fell in, or whatever he was thinking there, really made me chuckle for some reason.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
RJ wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Thanks for the link! My Japanese is terrible but if I understand correctly, Inuyasha was wondering why he and Ranma had the same voice. If so, thats hilarious.

Oh, really? Ha! Nice one.

And if Richard Cox were to play Ranma, that joke would still work. Very Happy

I don't really have a strong preference between the two, actually, but I don't think it's likely for Sarah to come back, considering that she voluntarily quit the role, and she is now a fairly well-known live action actress in Canada, which probably puts her out of Viz's price range. She also hasn't done any voice acting since quitting Ranma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2