• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
It will be fairly easy when they do start taking action. Nearly all the top fansubbing groups and communities are in plain sight.

Assuming they were actually going to the fansubbing groups would have plenty of advance notice to cease any and all public operations and retreat into anonymity and continue releasing work that was much harder to trace.

That said, the likelyhood of that happening's very slim. With the current trends of awarding against corporations going after individuals for not-for-profit infringement I'd say the odds of a major American government attempt with severe punishments to stamp out fansubbing, that was actually effective fall right around the odds of simultaneously winning a massive lottery jackpot AND getting struck by lightning.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Clodus wrote:
These have been appearing alot recently. Looks like japan is cracking down. Even though I do like fansubs. If the US and other countries were more strict then perhaps fansubs would disappear though I imagine its not so simple.

On the contrary, this is all one incident which has been brought up over and over for the past couple weeks. It just seems like it's happening alot because the news has been repeated over and over again everytime there's the slightest development.

Three men arrested ... copy-paste-paste update headline & date.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I've just realized how fansubbers can solve their problems of people coming after them through the authorities. If these fansubbers would take into consideration their time and money into negotiating with anime studios to acquire the rights to anime series, then they wouldn't be having this problem. So, they should get huge amounts of money and pay the anime studios for their material. Then it would be licensed by them and then it wouldn't be illegal, because then they'd have to start charging people to download what they acquired, to make back what huge hit they took in acquiring the material LEGALLY.
zalas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You know what? I've just realized how fansubbers can solve their problems of people coming after them through the authorities. If these fansubbers would take into consideration their time and money into negotiating with anime studios to acquire the rights to anime series, then they wouldn't be having this problem. So, they should get huge amounts of money and pay the anime studios for their material. Then it would be licensed by them and then it wouldn't be illegal, because then they'd have to start charging people to download what they acquired, to make back what huge hit they took in acquiring the material LEGALLY.

I seriously doubt half of the fansub translators could even speak business Japanese well enough to negotiate licenses, let alone having experience in business negotiations. If you think an animation production committee is willing to let distribution rights go for the same price to fansubbers as to legitimate companies, then I want to have what you are smoking. Razz
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:

Back on topic, my understanding of legal and judicial proceedings is extremely limited, so could someone explain was a suspended sentence means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended_sentence

Basically, it's a probation. Meaning, if you don't do anything else bad during the suspension, then you don't have to serve the sentence. It's quite popular in Japan, sometimes even for serious crimes.

mao_kihan wrote:
My biggest problem is that far too often I find the Official subs hard to read on the screen. I also kind of like it when fansubs use different colors and fonts for the subs. So yes I download fansubs, but I also buy the DVDs when/if they become available.

I believe that's a limitation of the DVD specs. Back when they were developing the DVD specs, the subtitle part was just an afterthought compared to other bigger concerns. Remember, the specs had to be adoptable universally by all parties concerned yet not wait forever to be released. So, the sub became a least of their concerns - they just wanted something functionable.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Teuvan wrote:
I don't care about dubs myself. However, I do wish companies would start making good subs. I have enough scattered knowledge of Japanese, especially of words that are difficult to translate and/or don't have good English equivalents, to know when a sub is half-assed. Most professional translators take the most literal route, leaving the dialog without feeling and stripping of it of the original intent. On the other hand, many fansubbers take a more artistic approach to translating, and make an effort to maintain the original intent rather than do a direct translation.

Another problem is DVDs. It's not so much that DVD prices are ridiculously bad. The problem is that more than 90% of anime can only be "legitimately" watched through DVDs, and that's unacceptable. If the American television industry was in the same situation, they'd be in the same situation as the anime industry. Without proper exposure to the works, people won't be willing to shell out $30 for four episodes on a blind gamble.

To me, the best solution to this is taking advantage of Internet television. This is starting to grow as a trend, but it still has a long ways to go. If distributors could offer anime on a website in the same way television works, with advertisements and all, they would increase the exposure to their product, thereby increasing DVD sales, and they would earn the extra income from advertising and subscription fees. Some channels, probably most, could be subscription based, while others could work like broadcast television, relying only on advertisements.

Either way, until both translation quality and Internet television become commonplace, I have no sympathy for the American anime industry. I'll keep expanding my 400 volume manga collection, though, because the companies in the manga industry have already taken the proper steps to ensure their success in business. But as far as anime goes, I'll keep downloading fansubs and ignoring DVDs until companies actually do something that makes them worthy of my purchase.

-original intent? Unless you've spoken to the anime creators, I can safely say you're throwing out a HUGE assumption. And good luck talking to most anime creators about fansubs, chances are they'll bite your head off. Because, you know, you are basically stabbing them in the back by leeching off their hard work. As for "literal" vs. "artistic", such subjective terms could be debated forever. Japanese is a tricky language to translate, and I fail to see how fansubbers would have any better methods than pros in the industry. At least the pros have means to contact anime creators, meaning their decisions are at least somewhat trustworthy. Trusting a fansubber, on the other hand? He's just some guy, with no connections. Color me unimpressed.

-you want to know WHY the American TV industry isn't in that situation? It's because their shows draw a larger audience than anime does. And no, that has little to nothing to do with the R1 industry's choices. Fact of the matter is, if you approached 100 random strangers, they'd be more likely to be a fan of LOST or Dancing with the Stars than they would anime. Anime has a SMALL fanbase compared to other entertainment, and the industry can only expand it so much. And really, why should they do all the work? If I love something, wouldn't I take the effort to get others to like it? A non-anime fan isn't suddenly going to think, "gee, I should check out Funimation's website!" That's up to us fans.

-so apparently Viz offering $2 episodes for download and Funimation offering FREE episodes to preview shows isn't enough? Also, anime costs quite a bit to get over here and make available. Big-name companies certainly aren't going to pay for ads to be shown in something as small as anime, and smaller companies' money won't be enough. Once again, anime does NOT bring in audiences anywhere near the number that most TV shows do.

-sympathy? Who cares if you sympathize with them? If you do not buy official anime DVDs (and guess what, if you really hate R1 that much, there's always official R2 DVDs), you are a leech. There's no getting around that. You are not supporting anime. You are giving a big "screw you" to all the Japanese anime creators, and they are mad at you for it. So you can claim to be a big fan of Miyazaki, Watanabe, Anno, etc., but they certainly aren't going to be a fan of yours.

As far as original intent goes, you're right. I'm making a huge assumption. But you know what? When I watch WiND's subs for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni back-to-back with Geneon's, I notice something. I notice the dialog translated by WiND seems natural. It's easy to read and makes perfect sense within the given context. It's well-written. In other words, it's good.

In contrast, I constantly hit bumps reading Geneon's subs. The general meaning is still there, but it's distorted. The dialog is unnatural. Some of the wordings are strange, and distracting. Overall, the differences in their translation bother me.

Now as far as supporting the original creators goes, I'd be glad to. Hell, I buy artbooks and merchandise until shops are giving me free gifts and practically begging me to come back again. But I will NOT pay a company for a service that is being delivered with noticeably superior quality by a groups of fans for free, if only for the pure sake of depriving that company of my support.

Moving on to the R1 industry...once again, you're right. Lost certainly has a bigger fan-base than pretty much any anime in America (I'm not certain when it comes to things like Dragon Ball and Pokemon, though that's beside that point). However, the main reason Lost has that fanbase is because it's easily accessible.

How much smaller do you imagine Lost's fanbase would be if episodes were released on a straight-to-DVD basis, right from the beginning? Do you think the series could survive on DVD sales alone, without ever having received the invaluable exposure from being on television? It couldn't. At best, it would end up having a cult following.

The same is true for anime. In Japan, the anime industry would not exist as it does now if it weren't for television. Not many people are willing to gamble their money away on DVDs of a series that they've only heard about. DVDs sell because people want to own a copy of their favorite movie or series, and be able to rewatch it whenever they feel like it. Only the minority of DVD sales come from people who are just curious, who just want to check something out. Most people aren't gamblers, whether it comes to mainstream movies or anime.

As far as what Viz and Funimation are doing...well, no. It isn't enough. But I will admit that it's a step in the right direction, and I respect them for it. Internet television is the future, whether we're talking about anime or American live action. More and more people are opting to watch television online, and for good reason. They can watch it when they feel like it, without having to plan their lives around a television schedule. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Internet television overtake traditional broadcasts.

Now the thing is, once Internet television becomes dominate, there will be a lot more opportunities for niche programming such as anime. Many companies have already realized the advantages to online video advertising, and it won't be long before the trend catches. With Internet channels for everything from anime to old westerns to engineering education, advertisers will be able to target specific audiences unlike they've ever been able to before. Indeed, advertisers willing to support anime channels won't only exist, they'll be common.

Since it's nearing 1AM and I'd like to wrap this up, I'll end my essay on Internet television and move on to your last paragraph. Buying R2 DVDs really isn't the most viable alternative in the world, seeing as how importers make more money from it than the original creators. Besides, I don't speak Japanese, so what the hell good will R2's do me anyway?

As I mentioned earlier, I do buy artbooks, merchandise, and other things. But I don't do this to support the industry. Anyone who buys something, like R2 DVDs, purely for the sake of supporting the industry is an idiot. I buy these things because I like them. Because I want to have them. Because they're worthy of my money. And chances are, the original creators are making more off every dollar I spend on artbooks and figures than every dollar you spend on American DVDs.

Of course, the reason I don't buy R1 DVDs is because I find them to be unworthy of my money. Because I don't want to have them. Because I don't like them. This, however, does change when companies actually offer a product that's worth having. I plan to buy Bandai's Gurren Lagann sub sets. This is because they seem to be doing good translation work, I'm a huge fan of Gurren Lagann, and unlike most anime distributors, they're using good business sense by releasing episodes in large bundles. In the past, I have bought some R1 DVDs, but only those that I'm made to want. Which is, sadly enough, very few indeed...

Well, that's that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:

As far as original intent goes, you're right. I'm making a huge assumption. But you know what? When I watch WiND's subs for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni back-to-back with Geneon's, I notice something. I notice the dialog translated by WiND seems natural. It's easy to read and makes perfect sense within the given context. It's well-written. In other words, it's good.

In contrast, I constantly hit bumps reading Geneon's subs. The general meaning is still there, but it's distorted. The dialog is unnatural. Some of the wordings are strange, and distracting. Overall, the differences in their translation bother me.

But which one is true? One who understands the original language would know. (Notwithstanding that Japanese has a different sentence structure than English.)

I remember reading Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment for class but, rather than the school-given one, using my cousin's book because it was easier reading. Yet, I've always wondered which one was truer to the original Russian.

Same thing with manga. Are the easier-reading official translated manga more true than the more literal Japanese-structured scanlations?

Teuvan wrote:

The same is true for anime. In Japan, the anime industry would not exist as it does now if it weren't for television. Not many people are willing to gamble their money away on DVDs of a series that they've only heard about. DVDs sell because people want to own a copy of their favorite movie or series, and be able to rewatch it whenever they feel like it. Only the minority of DVD sales come from people who are just curious, who just want to check something out. Most people aren't gamblers, whether it comes to mainstream movies or anime.

However, otaku-oriented anime is another thing altogether. Otaku anime are broadcast in ungodly hours of very late night with horrible ratings, kinda like an ad show for their products. Plus, not all otaku anime are broadcast nationally, only in specific regions of Japan.

But Japanese otaku are resourceful; they get info from other sources like net gossip, magazines, ads, promos, billboards, fellow otaku, etc. So, many of them actually buy those otaku anime DVDs sight unseen.

For Westerners, those Japanese otaku are kinda our filter. What they think are good gives us an idea what we may like as well. So, we're kinda being resourceful too, even sight unseen.

Teuvan wrote:

Since it's nearing 1AM and I'd like to wrap this up, I'll end my essay on Internet television and move on to your last paragraph. Buying R2 DVDs really isn't the most viable alternative in the world, seeing as how importers make more money from it than the original creators. Besides, I don't speak Japanese, so what the hell good will R2's do me anyway?

More fansubbers should release their scripts (not that it's hard now what with soft sub formats), just like Anime Central used to for the Script Crypt. Then, people can read along the printed scripts while watching R2s. Smile
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I salute these brave soldiers.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.... Rolling Eyes

Why don't you people get yourselves a set of crucifixes and find yourselves a nice hill somewhere. Then we'd all be happy...

Quote:
Sorry but very often fansubs are way better than official releases.

Approximately 99% of people who discuss the quality of fansub translations really don't know what they are talking about. Most viewers of fansubs like to think of themselves as experts in Japanese, but nearly all of these people wouldn't even pass as beginners.

Example: At my anime club that consists of over 80 people, we only have about 3 or 4 hardcore otaku who are knowledgable in Japanese. That doesn't stop a lot of the rest from claiming to be experts.

Hellsing is a good example, where many fansubs translated the main character's name as Arucard, while the English dub and manga use Alucard. Obviously the latter has to be correct for the anagram to work, and the mangaka himself Kouta Hirano has confirmed Alucard to be the proper translation, but that doesn't stop the occassional edit war on Wikipedia where some nutjob changes Alucard to Arucard on multiple occassions, such that there has to be a dedicated section on Alucard's wiki page to elaborate on the name. Some fanubs of the Hellsing OVA to this day still use Arucard and consider themselves right.

At my anime club last year we watched Death Note, which was living proof that the argument that fansubs are better is bogus, because we ended up watching at least four different fansub group translations of the opening song and they were all significantly different. If fansubs were so perfect nearly all the time, then there wouldn't be so many different variations on the one song.

Then I could go into sub presentation. Official subs nearly always use a yellow sub title colour and normal font, which is actually the best colour to use because yellow contrasts the best with both light and dark backgrounds, and the plain font ensures that everybody can read the text without a problem. But then there's fansubs. Sure, some of them use the standard yellow colour and plain font sub as well, but then there's the real special subs, you know the ones that have a dark red colour against a dark background which you can't read (Hellsing OVA 1), or a ridiculously large text size so large that you could actually be 100 feet away and still read it and you can't actually fit the whole line on the screen so it rolls over and swiftly disappears as new text from another character appears (Gurren Lagann). And let's not forget the brilliance of having alt-text appear at the top of the screen at the exact moment multiple lines of dialogue are appearing at the bottom of the screen. Official subs use the single best presentation format for subs, everything else is stupid window dressing that just ends up cluttering your view out of the window. As the saying goes: If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:

Now as far as supporting the original creators goes, I'd be glad to. Hell, I buy artbooks and merchandise until shops are giving me free gifts and practically begging me to come back again. But I will NOT pay a company for a service that is being delivered with noticeably superior quality by a groups of fans for free, if only for the pure sake of depriving that company of my support.

Moving on to the R1 industry...once again, you're right. Lost certainly has a bigger fan-base than pretty much any anime in America (I'm not certain when it comes to things like Dragon Ball and Pokemon, though that's beside that point). However, the main reason Lost has that fanbase is because it's easily accessible.

How much smaller do you imagine Lost's fanbase would be if episodes were released on a straight-to-DVD basis, right from the beginning? Do you think the series could survive on DVD sales alone, without ever having received the invaluable exposure from being on television? It couldn't. At best, it would end up having a cult following.

As far as what Viz and Funimation are doing...well, no. It isn't enough. But I will admit that it's a step in the right direction, and I respect them for it. Internet television is the future, whether we're talking about anime or American live action. More and more people are opting to watch television online, and for good reason. They can watch it when they feel like it, without having to plan their lives around a television schedule. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Internet television overtake traditional broadcasts.

Now the thing is, once Internet television becomes dominate, there will be a lot more opportunities for niche programming such as anime. Many companies have already realized the advantages to online video advertising, and it won't be long before the trend catches. With Internet channels for everything from anime to old westerns to engineering education, advertisers will be able to target specific audiences unlike they've ever been able to before. Indeed, advertisers willing to support anime channels won't only exist, they'll be common.

As I mentioned earlier, I do buy artbooks, merchandise, and other things. But I don't do this to support the industry. Anyone who buys something, like R2 DVDs, purely for the sake of supporting the industry is an idiot. I buy these things because I like them. Because I want to have them. Because they're worthy of my money. And chances are, the original creators are making more off every dollar I spend on artbooks and figures than every dollar you spend on American DVDs.

Of course, the reason I don't buy R1 DVDs is because I find them to be unworthy of my money. Because I don't want to have them. Because I don't like them. This, however, does change when companies actually offer a product that's worth having. I plan to buy Bandai's Gurren Lagann sub sets. This is because they seem to be doing good translation work, I'm a huge fan of Gurren Lagann, and unlike most anime distributors, they're using good business sense by releasing episodes in large bundles. In the past, I have bought some R1 DVDs, but only those that I'm made to want. Which is, sadly enough, very few indeed...

Well, that's that.

I completely agree with you.

To people who thinks that official releases are better than fansubs / scanlations, I would like to make them notice that most of the time the official releases adapt contents and names in a way that changes the original meaning or at least detracts something from the original experience.
Also, yellow subtitles are horribile. Period.

Furthermore, official releases are too slow for a world where internet allows real time communication everywhere (potentially, at least).

Finally, even if anime, books, movie, music and videoagames aren't necessary to live, they are are often culture and not only pure entertainment, and sometimes even art.
Air, food, water and shelter are the only things people need to survive. To actually live, though, we need music, stories and games.
It's a whole different matter. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
Well, if nothing else, the SHARE program has become a no man's land as far as sharing is conerend.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Teuvan wrote:

I completely agree with you.

To people who thinks that official releases are better than fansubs / scanlations, I would like to make them notice that most of the time the official releases adapt contents and names in a way that changes the original meaning or at least detracts something from the original experience. Also, yellow subtitles are horribile. Period.

But Teuvan was just arguing that official "adaptations" are being too literal. So you two are actually not agreeing with each other.

And don't tell me you prefer white subtitles, because that's what anime fans were complaining about on the early days of sub VHS. (And dark subs on dark backgrounds don't work.) Most anime fans then settled that yellow subs with black borders are the best compromise. So if you want to blame anyone for yellow subs on your anime, blame anime fans. Laughing

Sariachan wrote:

Furthermore, official releases are too slow for a world where internet allows real time communication everywhere (potentially, at least).

That's why a few are now experimenting, like Gonzo with Tower of Druaga, which you can purchase for viewing with subs mere hours after the Japanese broadcast. Eventually, I see more companies doing that. Then, you can purchase all to your delight. Smile

Sariachan wrote:

Finally, even if anime, books, movie, music and videoagames aren't necessary to live, they are are often culture and not only pure entertainment, and sometimes even art.
Air, food, water and shelter are the only things people need to survive. To actually live, though, we need music, stories and games.
It's a whole different matter. Wink

Everybody eventually dies, but how many truly live?! Laughing

Still, you can choose your hobby. There's more than one music, story, or game. Some are just more expensive than others.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But Teuvan was just arguing that official "adaptations" are being too literal. So you two are actually not agreeing with each other.

I'm from Italy, so I can talk about what they do to anime in my Country, I don't know much what they do in the United States. There are good adaptations in Italy, but they are few exceptions and I actually bought some of them (mainly, Studio Ghibli movies).
Also, you should keep in mind that I wouldn't buy all the anime I watch anyway, but I would make a selection. The problem is that I can't see dubbed anime to save my life, and in Italy they don't broadcast subbed anime (or even movie or live-action series, for that matter). Sad

Quote:
And don't tell me you prefer white subtitles, because that's what anime fans were complaining about on the early days of sub VHS. (And dark subs on dark backgrounds don't work.) Most anime fans then settled that yellow subs with black borders are the best compromise. So if you want to blame anyone for yellow subs on your anime, blame anime fans. Laughing

I prefer subtitles whose colours and font are suited to the anime, so they costantly change.
Anyway, white subtitles with a decend black border are always better than yellow ones, because the former are made using neautral colours, while the latter don't and so ruin the "mood" of the anime, visually-wise. I draw and paint, so I know that colours must be used in a careful way. Sorry, but yellow subtitles make me puke, as any other subtitles that stand too much.
Ideal subtitles must merge with the anime but still being well-readable.

Also, fansubbers usually translate signs, put notes when necessary, karaoke, and many other little, nice touches that I can't find in most of the official release.
And if fansubbers make spelling and even translations mistakes sometimes, they make up with the passion they infuse their releases with. I's something that you feel.

Quote:
That's why a few are now experimenting, like Gonzo with Tower of Druaga, which you can purchase for viewing with subs mere hours after the Japanese broadcast. Eventually, I see more companies doing that. Then, you can purchase all to your delight. Smile

It depends. I need about 2 episodes to decide if a 11-13 lenght anime is good, 3-4 episodes for a 24-26 one, and even more for longer shows.
The best things would be internet TV with advertises and even subscriptions, why not, with the possibility to watch all the anime, with subtitles and at the same time or max a couple of weeks after the Japanese releases.
Internet permits this, if anime companies are still using obsolete distribution methods isn't my fault. After all, I still support them with all the merchandise I buy (which is a lot, trust me Wink ) and even some occasional official DVD or musical CDs. And I'm not even counting the manga and manga/anime related novels (I've something like two libraries full of them ^^' ).
This just to prove that I do love anime, and that people watching fansubs can love anime as well as who only watch legit releases. Even more, who watchs fansubs can potentially gain a broader vision of the anime industry as a whole, and support more the companies who really deserve it.

Quote:
Still, you can choose your hobby. There's more than one music, story, or game. Some are just more expensive than others.

Read better what I wrote. For me these things aren't just hobby, and they shouldn't be only that. Going to see a movie, going to a concert, reading a book or watching an anime is good for our mind, in general, and every human being should experience that. Of course, there are other important things like sport, or drawing, or writing, but what I meant is that who says that anime or similar things aren't necessary imho has a really semplified vision of what a life should be (unfortunately, there are people who haven't even enough food or water in this world, but I think that you can agree with me that they would live better lives if they could, and also watch anime, why not? Wink ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:

Another problem is DVDs. It's not so much that DVD prices are ridiculously bad. The problem is that more than 90% of anime can only be "legitimately" watched through DVDs, and that's unacceptable. If the American television industry was in the same situation, they'd be in the same situation as the anime industry. Without proper exposure to the works, people won't be willing to shell out $30 for four episodes on a blind gamble.

You DO understand our passion IS a niche thing, right?
THe AVERAGE Joe Blow American has precious little interest in anime, manga, or Japanese culture. Hell, even Kung Fu movie fans are a niche
As such, it just doesn't PAY to put 90% of anime on tv just so we can see it for free. The TV stations with the most viewers ARE airing what most Americans want to see--Reality TV, Nighttime soaps, etc. We have thousands of hopefuls every year pitching ideas, looking for a big break in this country, much less bringing over Japanese tv.
What about German tv? Why can't I see EVERYTHING airing in Germany? Or Switzerland? Or France? China? What about all the other stuff airing on Japanese tv? You don't seem to be whining you can't see all the Japanese Game shows & dramas for free. I'm sure there's people out there who want to see all the latest stuff out of Romania or Hungary. How about their god given right to see it all on American airwaves for free?

Now do you see how ridiculous that particular argument is?
Just because YOU like anime you think it should be made as convenient to view as the stuff your fellow Americans are sweating their you-know-whats off to make for all of us to enjoy.

Accept as the fan of a niche thing, you have to go the extra mile. If you were a fan of a small local band, you'd go to their shows in town to support them because they aren't on TV or don't have a CD out. It maybe takes a bit more effort. If you like Nathan Lane, maybe you'll fly to New York to see him in a play. Maybe you'll buy tickets & see the same play 2 or 7 times because each night is a bit different.

Teuvan wrote:

Either way, until both translation quality and Internet television become commonplace, I have no sympathy for the American anime industry. I'll keep expanding my 400 volume manga collection, though, because the companies in the manga industry have already taken the proper steps to ensure their success in business. But as far as anime goes, I'll keep downloading fansubs and ignoring DVDs until companies actually do something that makes them worthy of my purchase.

Internet TV is a new thing. Some don't mind. I don't like watchning tv on my computer. I want to watch my anime on my tv to the tune of a ridiculously huge anime collection I've spent a good hunk of my income on (but I have the satisfaction of having many titles that are unavailable now such as Sailor Moon).
I happen to prefer reading my manga on paper to the point I have tried to figure out how I can get the scanilation words into my copies of Asuka, Zero-Sum, & all the yaoi stuff I get in a reasonable fashion. Reading manga on a computer is annoying & doesn't look near as cool as it does on paper. And I naturally buy domestic manga to the tune of an also ridiculous amount (over 2000 volumes at last count)
So how does supporting manga by buying the domestic version rank higher than supporting those same creators by buying the dvds? I call fraud. THere are methods for buying the domestic product & still watching your sub if you feel it is superior. I've even heard of people who import the Japanese original & download the sub so they can understand what they forked out $50-$100 per dvd for. There are ways to reimburse the people who created that goodness you are watching for free thru the fansub that no one on the creative team is seeing a dime/yen for. They just involve parting with cash on your part.

Teuvan wrote:

People I speak with are usually pretty amazed I know more than a smattering of background info on stuff, but I assume it makes the whole situation more comprehensible. I assume subs for most shows are handled by the "house" dubbing the project, thus any problems run more with them than the "producer" (Geneon, Bandai). Some "houses" handled their own, thus, yes, the blame falls on Funi or ADV when the dub or sub is lackluster. Thus Manga, who hires out their titles, is less to blame in my eyes than ADV for the dubtitles on Tactics. Granted, I could be wrong & maybe it's that they didn't PAY for a subtitle script, but in that case, one would think there would be no subtitles, so it just seems when a company provides the dubtitles, that dub studio is being lazy/cheap.
Toward the end of their days in the states Geneon, in apparent cost-cutting mode, WAS cheaping out. The dub for SHonen Onmyoji has handled by a foreign studio (in Singapore or some such place from what I noticed from casual refs on this board.) The subtitles were a bit more stilted probably because they weren't being written by a native English speaker & the dub sounded a bit strange, although the title itself is gorgeous. I just skipped the dub & watched it subbed. I understand pretty much every language around the world puts their sentances together in different ways so it's not really a big deal.

They're still more coherent than a lot of posters on some boards I visit (G4)

Teuvan wrote:

I have over 100 artbooks. Beautiful. I picked up 4 more at Comic-con(Pet Shop, Finder, Junjyo, Saiunkoku).
All you're saying is again you're getting the milk for free so you aren't paying for the cow's upkeep.
Problem is you aren't JUST paying for the upkeep of the cow here in the US. THe money some of us spend HERE for cow upkeep also goes back to Japan for cow breeding.
Fansubs don't pay a dime/yen toward increasing the domestic(Japanese) herd.

Teuvan wrote:

And stuff that airs on American tv doesn't have a cult following?
Brisco County.
Dark Shadows
You name it, almost every show has someone who mourns it's passing (I wish they'd put Brimstone out on DVD)
HOWEVER
Lost is also made to appeal to the American audience. The viewers don't have to deal with culture issues, etc. In fact, for my money, the bigger the show, the blander it is in order to get that big audience. Cutting edge often means a smaller crowd. McDonalds is almost flavorless, but they sell tons of burgers. It's a given there's a small burger shop in almost every town that has a better burger, more flavorful & probably a bit more money since they don't get that bulk purchase discount McDonalds can ask for.

So, no. You're barking up the wrong tree.
Even if anime were on EVERY CHANNEL ALL DAY LONG for a month, you'd have millions of furious Americans whining about cartoons taking the place of Smallville, Lost, whatever. You would not have that many more anime fans.
Most Americans consider cartoons to be for children. Adults can't like them. Maybe they can watch them as a guilty pleasure, but anyone my age into cartoons draws more than a couple looks. My daughter was somewhere & when she mentioned she'd taken a week off to go to COmic-con, the woman said her son did, also. My daughter said it was fun & the woman said her son needs to grow up.

Teuvan wrote:

OVA are usually what we call direct-to-home-market product.
Because Japan is a smaller market, it's very, very different from here.
My understanding is anime ISN'T all that much a part of their tv. A lot is aired on cable channels or pay-per-view or 2 AM. The dvd market is overpriced because it sells to the collector market there.

THe word for fans over there-otaku-is usually protrayed negatively. American fans run around like it's cool to call themselves otaku, but in Japan it's probably seen in a worse light than the 40-yr-old Star Trek Fan living in mom's basement

Teuvan wrote:

I subscribe to half a dozen manga magazines but I don't read Japanese. THe art's still the art.
Buy the dvds (from a place like CDJapan where the importers aren't making more than the original creators. It's a Japanese store as far as I can tell. You'll just pay about $30-$40 for shipping. I buy 6 or so cds at a time to make it worth it)

Teuvan wrote:

Insulting those of us who believe in supporting the industry?
Thank you so much.

I'd thing they get a smaller percentage from figures than the artbooks. I'd think the company making the dolls get the lion's share.

But I buy artbooks(I have 8-10 each Clamp & Minekura, 3-4 Slayers, Kyo Kara Maoh, lots of indivual artists)
I picked up Aries Shion ($65) & Cygnus Hyoga ($50) at con bringing my 6-inch Seiya doll collection to 17 dolls, not to mention the 3 capsule sets & some of the chess figures & some of the newer box sets, and several DB sets, Sgt Frog, & Bleach figures....(eyes 4 Hoshin Engi figures on table)
And I still buy domestic dvds so your argument fails.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Quote:

I'm from Italy, so I can talk about what they do to anime in my Country, I don't know much what they do in the United States. There are good adaptations in Italy, but they are few exceptions and I actually bought some of them (mainly, Studio Ghibli movies).

Nevertheless, t'was funny that Teuvan was arguing it's too literal, while you're arguing it's not literal enough. Different countries for different folks. Laughing

Sariachan wrote:

Also, you should keep in mind that I wouldn't buy all the anime I watch anyway, but I would make a selection. The problem is that I can't see dubbed anime to save my life, and in Italy they don't broadcast subbed anime (or even movie or live-action series, for that matter). Sad

Same in America, actually. And I didn't know I lost it in mind. Smile

Sariachan wrote:

Quote:

I prefer subtitles whose colours and font are suited to the anime, so they costantly change.
Anyway, white subtitles with a decend black border are always better than yellow ones, because the former are made using neautral colours, while the latter don't and so ruin the "mood" of the anime, visually-wise. I draw and paint, so I know that colours must be used in a careful way. Sorry, but yellow subtitles make me puke, as any other subtitles that stand too much.
Ideal subtitles must merge with the anime but still being well-readable.

The problem was not everyone could agree what that "ideal subtitle" is for any particular anime. What's good for you may not be preferable for somebody else. That's why anime fans had to compromise and settle on a standard that's acceptable to most.

Maybe in the future, whatever format specs allow viewers to choose what color, font, size, etc. they want to see on screen. But right now, even fansubs don't allow that much flexibility.

Sariachan wrote:

Also, fansubbers usually translate signs, put notes when necessary, karaoke, and many other little, nice touches that I can't find in most of the official release.
And if fansubbers make spelling and even translations mistakes sometimes, they make up with the passion they infuse their releases with. I's something that you feel.

People have different tolerances, but grammar should be the base level. Many fans only tolerate fansub errors because it's free. When it used to cost more like in the days of fansub VHS, Arctic fansubs were getting killed for their errors. Where was the passion in that? Laughing

Sariachan wrote:

Quote:

It depends. I need about 2 episodes to decide if a 11-13 lenght anime is good, 3-4 episodes for a 24-26 one, and even more for longer shows.

There used to be a saying, back in the olde 26+ ep series days, that it takes shoujo 9-12 eps to even get going. Laughing

Sariachan wrote:

The best things would be internet TV with advertises and even subscriptions, why not, with the possibility to watch all the anime, with subtitles and at the same time or max a couple of weeks after the Japanese releases.

That's actually not a bad idea, and IIRC, there's a few experiments on that too.

Sariachan wrote:

Internet permits this, if anime companies are still using obsolete distribution methods isn't my fault. After all, I still support them with all the merchandise I buy (which is a lot, trust me Wink ) and even some occasional official DVD or musical CDs. And I'm not even counting the manga and manga/anime related novels (I've something like two libraries full of them ^^' ).
This just to prove that I do love anime, and that people watching fansubs can love anime as well as who only watch legit releases. Even more, who watchs fansubs can potentially gain a broader vision of the anime industry as a whole, and support more the companies who really deserve it.

I didn't even know we were even looking for proof. Smile

Sariachan wrote:

Quote:

Read better what I wrote. For me these things aren't just hobby, and they shouldn't be only that. Going to see a movie, going to a concert, reading a book or watching an anime is good for our mind, in general, and every human being should experience that. Of course, there are other important things like sport, or drawing, or writing, but what I meant is that who says that anime or similar things aren't necessary imho has a really semplified vision of what a life should be (unfortunately, there are people who haven't even enough food or water in this world, but I think that you can agree with me that they would live better lives if they could, and also watch anime, why not? Wink ).

Anime is a good hobby, but it's still not a way of life (well, unless it's your career). Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:

I seriously doubt half of the fansub translators could even speak business Japanese well enough to negotiate licenses, let alone having experience in business negotiations. If you think an animation production committee is willing to let distribution rights go for the same price to fansubbers as to legitimate companies, then I want to have what you are smoking. Razz

Now many of you folks here were able to figure out that my post was an obviously sarcastic take on what fansubbers can do for themselves?

It isn't wrong at all for any of us to believe in supporting the industry. Because we know our money is going towards a good cause, and it comes back to us later, rewardingly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4