• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanon DVDs 4-5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Man, how come these shows never get a Carl Kimlinger (tm) review. That would be amusing. "Series features too many cry baby girls and is as insipid in it's own progression as it is in it's very existence." Something like that probably. I could only imagine the backlash.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Man, how come these shows never get a Carl Kimlinger (tm) review. That would be amusing. "Series features too many cry baby girls and is as insipid in it's own progression as it is in it's very existence." Something like that probably. I could only imagine the backlash.

Considering Kanon's importance and the genre it represents ("crying games"), the backlash would be warranted.

Nice review.

Now the long wait for the last volume continues....
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Oh lordy... Carl's a great reviewer by his own right, but there are shows he carries heavy bias against. It's not fair to those who are interested in the anime at hand to be denounced because the reviewer hates moe.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
Well, I've seen volume 4 and I own 5. I'm holding off on watching 5 until it gets closer to October so it won't feel like such a drought.

I did like how things turned out with Mai and Sayuri. The way everything came together was rather touching.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
A very nice review. While I don't consider Kanon a masterpiece it is definitely among the best of its genre. Good visual (adult) novel adaptions are in fact quite rare v.v

I don't think you can consider Kanon a real misspelling. while of course in English this type of music is called "canon", it is spelled "kanon" in quite a few other languages. btw, in Japan Kanon has also been turned into a female first name recently ^^;
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
As with previous volumes, I'd have rated it higher. When I watched it I was a "moe virgin" hence didn't consider the high levels of cuteness to be a potential annoyance to some. A "first love" if you will.
In fairness though, my opinions in general tend to be more similar to Key's than to most other reviewers here, and a good job has been done on pointing out the show's strengths thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
I don't get the feeling the reviewer was "dinging" the show for its spelling, but I have to point out that the "ka" spelling for Kanon is fine. "Ca" doesn't exist in the Japanese writing system, but "ka" does. So ADV literally translated the Japanese spelling there. カノン =kanon.

It's kind of like how Fruits Basket got its name because there's no "s", but rather a "tsu" in the Japanese writing system. フルーツバスケット = Furūtsu Basuketto
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
I agree with the reviewer on pretty much everything, except for how he picked on Yuichi for being "inconsistent". I didn't think his character was inconsistent at all. From the get go, you know that he's a witty, sarcastic guy, but he shows his more tender side quite a bit too, especially once Makoto shows up. It's not really a surprise that he'd be able to go from "sarcasm mode" to "big brother/boyfriend mode" with the different girls.

Just my thoughts.

Now back the the interminable wait for Volume 6 from Funi. Confused
houkoholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I don't get the feeling the reviewer was "dinging" the show for its spelling, but I have to point out that the "ka" spelling for Kanon is fine. "Ca" doesn't exist in the Japanese writing system, but "ka" does. So ADV literally translated the Japanese spelling there. カノン =kanon.

Wrong, ADV didn't choose anything - the game had used "Kanon" as the official spelling from the very start (it's on the game's splash screen).

Plus "kanon" is the German spelling of "canon" (quick wiki would even show you), so it is not a mispelling/katakana mangle at all (plus your reasoning is wrong, the Japanese does use カ to represent both "ka" and "ca" interchangably for phonetic representation. And katakana approximation is just used for exactly that, phonetic representation, it is not designed to replace the word's original spelling). English speakers must get off the high horse and stop thinking that just because it is written in the alphabet that it must be an English word/or English in origin. The Japanese borrows a lot of words from other European languages as well, German and French are especially popular.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Considering that in the original game Yuuichi only really went through one girl's story at once, his shifty characterization and going from girl to girl makes some sense. In the anime they compensate by a lot of the stories occurring one after the other and sort of blending together... which sorta works and sorta doesn't. My favorite girl basically gets shafted in the anime, for example. :p

I agree with LordPrometheus, though. I didn't think he was that disjointed, though he almost seems like he's bordering on being a womanizer at times.

here-and-faraway wrote:
So ADV literally translated the Japanese spelling there. カノン =kanon.

ADV had nothing to do with that, actually. The Japanese logo is displayed in English with the katakana underneath.

Original game cover: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kanon_original_game_cover.gif

[edit] houkoholic beat me to it while I was finding an image! Darn. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
English speakers must get off the high horse and stop thinking that just because it is written in the alphabet that it must be an English word/or English in origin

I hardly think that an attempted logical explanation of a supposed spelling error is a "high horse" by any definition of the expression. Rolling Eyes
houkoholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
English speakers must get off the high horse and stop thinking that just because it is written in the alphabet that it must be an English word/or English in origin

I hardly think that an attempted logical explanation of a supposed spelling error is a "high horse" by any definition of the expression. Rolling Eyes

Except for the fact that a quick research on google/wiki will turn up the spelling is in fact correct in another language (in this case, German) yet the author assumed that it must be a mistake on the Japanese's part because he/she assumed that just because it was written in the roman alphabet the Japanese must be (wrongly) refering to the word in the English language, and nothing else?

What you call the "logical explanation" I would very much call that "high horse" mentality, in this case that horse, or "logic", would be that when you see something written in the alphabet English must be the sole referencing language that others use when it comes to foreign words, and not any other language, as if that English is always the inspiring material when it comes to the Japanese borrowing words, and anything different must be their lack of grasp of English, but not the English speaker's own grasp of other foreign languages.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What you call the "logical explanation" I would very much call that "high horse" mentality, in this case that horse, or "logic", would be that when you see something written in the alphabet English must be the sole referencing language that others use when it comes to foreign words, and not any other language, as if that English is always the inspiring material when it comes to the Japanese borrowing words

Oh good grief... if the person was wrong, fine, you can point that out. But there are ways to correct someone without playing the "racist linguistics" card. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, there are such things as honest mistakes. Not everything is an evil white Englishman's supremacist ideas (in fact, most things aren't).
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wrong, ADV didn't choose anything - the game had used "Kanon" as the official spelling from the very start (it's on the game's splash screen).

Yes, but sometimes spellings are changed for American releases - look at Chrono Crusade. My point was to focus on how Kanon got translated into the ENGLISH, AMERICAN release. Not about how the Japanese got the spelling in the first place. ADV could just as easily spelled it "Canon" to fit with the AMERICAN notion of how the word is spelled, just like they did with Chrono for Chrno Crusade.

I see your point about kanon being the original German spelling of the word. I wasn't trying to imply that Japanese "mangle" foreign words when they phonetically spell them in katakana. Sorry to get a bee in your bonnet on that one.

Quote:
The Japanese borrows a lot of words from other European languages as well, German and French are especially popular.

Yes, I know.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Oh good grief... if the person was wrong, fine, you can point that out. But there are ways to correct someone without playing the "racist linguistics" card. Rolling Eyes

I agree.

And after looking at the picture Michi linked to ... KyoAni really did a good job with the character designs, because Ayu looks so ugly on that game cover, imho Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3