• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your feelings about anime being "niche"...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote
This idea of converting people to anime is something I do not agree with as I dont think it's fair to force our interests on other people. The need to want to convert people however may simply be due to the large amount of percieved arogance that exsists with regards to anime. We know for example that the most common phrase ' They are just cartoons for kids', is not true. We know this because we have taken our own time to watch something different and make a dissision based on what we watched. Despite it being risky to lable a vast group of people as being argogant, I do believe this is the case with the masses and anime. They know it exsists but they are not prepared to even give it the time of day, not off thier own backs anyway.

This is why both advertising and word of mouth are very neccessary if we would like to raise the profile of anime. This seems like a harsh view but it really is just based off my own observation when dealing with friends and other people whilst in discussions about anime. I call them discussion but most of the time the 'discussion begins with 'So how's the anigay going' and ends with me giving someone the finger. Well that is at least the way conversations go with a few of my friends.Its pathetic as I know they are probably interested in it but wont go as far to voice thier interest. That would after all clash with popular opinion. Im prepared to over look this however as we share many other things in common such as our love of live rock music, airsoft or climbing for example. I also study creative writing alongside film as english was my better subject at school. Again however, creative wrting is another fairly niche hobby to have and one of those things that like anime I dont immediately get the urge to jump up and tell people about. That doesnt stop me doing so however as it's just not worth keeping to myself and feeling guilty about .

Advertising could be a more powerful way of raising anime's profile as it can not be percieved; at least as much word of mouth from other anime fans, to be biased for simply being a fan. I hope that makes sense. People are sometimes more able to trust advertising rather than the anime fan because by definition the anime fans view is exspected to be biased.

Disucssing something on the internet is not the same as face to face converstion. For starters with forums there is often a much more tense and formal atmoshpere when discussing things. There is no benefit of knowing someone persoanlly on forums. We are more likely to voice strong opinions on a forums due to the fact that at the end of the day you can turn off the pc and ignore what ever it is you dont want to see. It's different with face to face discussion and always less likely to arise in argument in my opinion than discussions on forums. The forums are as it stands the best place to discuss anime because there simply isnt the same concentration of interest in anime out side the forums (in the UK at least). This does not however negate the need for anime to be spread by word of mouth and enncouragement from the fans. The fans are after all the people who drive anime along, at least in western countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8