• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your feelings about anime being "niche"...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Unlike Video Games -- it's still a niche because older folks -- ages 40+ -- still do not buy them in large numbers. They're the people with big money.

Excuse me?

That's a totally hilarious remark. I never had more disposable income in my life than in my mid-20s. It's been downhill since then. Having kids, getting divorced, etcetera... it all adds up.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Mainichi Daydreams wrote:
Are any of you bothered about being a fan of something as relatively small and niche such as anime?

Compared to when I first showed interest in anime back in the VHS days it seems to be a much larger demographic now. However, as it became more popular I also became older and that presented its own set of complications. Even though I no longer feel like anime requires much of an explanation for what it is, I do feel people expect an explanation for why a mature bachelor would be into it. I find that admitting I’m still into The Simpsons or Futurama or Family Guy is a lot easier than admitting I’m into anime, at least among strangers. Friends don't seem to care; whatever I'm into is OK with them so long as I don't try to push anything on them. At least that's how most of my friends seem to feel.

And for somebody who's dedicated as an anime fan (including myself), it really difficult to get the word out without feeling like you're the only one in the area who's a fan.

I don’t see any need to “get the word out” myself. Everyone who’s likely to enjoy anime probably already has a way to find it on their own with just a tiny bit of effort. If anything needs to be disseminated, why not get the word out that endless piracy and leeching prevents the industry we love from getting stronger?

Maybe my last point depends on where you are on the map, but it's still definitely something that I think is an issue for some people looking for a community outside of the Internet.

I’m not terribly sociable, but even I have found other guys who are into anime. It's a bit more rare to find women who are true anime fans but it's not super hard to find women who might watch it with you if they're in the right mood.

abunai wrote:
I never had more disposable income in my life than in my mid-20s. It's been downhill since then. Having kids, getting divorced, etcetera... it all adds up.

Oh stop complaining, some of us are still looking for the girl who will finally put us in the poor house... Wink
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Oh stop complaining, some of us are still looking for the girl who will finally put us in the poor house... Wink

Maybe you would like to date my girlfriend then? You'll be in the poor house for the rest of your life, the moment you'll find money she'll find a way to spend it.

You also seem to agree with many people that you don't see a need to get the word out. First I will have to question if you really are a true fan? There is a difference between pushing it on people and exposing them to the great medium. The reason behind getting more people to join the "movement" would be to support the great industry which in turn would reward us with better shows and more of them. Don't you tire of the same things over and over again? Wouldn't you want all TV series to be of the same quality as OVA's or movies? What if layering became standard in serialized shows, wouldn't that make the experience a lot better? I feel like every fan is just happy in their isolated corner with their Naruto and Gundam DVD's and don't give a crap about whats going on in the real world. Come on people anime does not have to be niche to be great!
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
You also seem to agree with many people that you don't see a need to get the word out. First I will have to question if you really are a true fan?

Hey, now that's really not being fair.

Quote:
There is a difference between pushing it on people and exposing them to the great medium.

Actually, no, there's no inherent difference between those two; they could be the exact same thing.

Again, by this point, especially thanks to monster hits like Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z, it's probably fair to say that EVERYONE has been exposed to anime, in some form or another.

Quote:
I feel like every fan is just happy in their isolated corner with their Naruto and Gundam DVD's and don't give a crap about whats going on in the real world. Come on people anime does not have to be niche to be great!

Even if anime wasn't 'niche,' it wouldn't be the real world. It's animated programming, that's all.

I don't watch Naruto. I don't watch Gundam. And I certainly don't need anyone pushing their favourites on me. So why would anyone else?

Look, the other polar extreme opinion--that anime has to be 'niche' to be worthwhile--is nonsense. But so is the feverish desire to spread the anime gospel far and wide without reason.

Anime is animation from Japan, created within a Japanese industry. And it's a very sophisticated industry that isn't going to grow or mature any further just because you or I or some other North American spreads the word.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime was a niche since Astroboy and Gigantor. But with the help of good anime like Transformers, Robotech, Star Blazers. The anime "niche" started to grew a bit. Akira is what help gave anime a bit of a bigger market, it was still niche but a lot of things gave anime a bigger market then anyone thought it would.

-anime like Dragonball Z, and Pokemon helped because of it's commercial appeal.
-manga, they help made people watch anime.
-Toonami, they helped made anime appealing to younger people. Gundam Wings, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, Ruroni Kenshin. Heck even the people who created toonami said they were anime fan, and they did that on purpose to create new anime fan. That led to Adult Swim. Sci-Fi Channel also helped with the anime fad in the late 90's (but have been revived last year because of anime popularity)
-The Matrix, that movie was heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell. This could have gotten people to find what anime was, hence the animatrix. It's possible it could have play a role in the anime fad.

Those list above have helped made anime from niche to what it is now, a fad. Look what happen when anime became popular:

-South Park has parodied anime 2 times.
-OEL mangas (Antartic Press did it first before Tokyopop popularize the fad)
-American anime or anime-styled animation (Kappa Mikey, Teen Titans, and Avatar: The last airbender have took anime style and implented in their own way)
-Kanye West's "Stronger" music video has paid homages to Akira. Even Kanye West said he'll do a manga. Madonna's music video has her cosplaying as Mello from Deathnote.
-In June, Jeopardy had a category on anime.
-Now, a Simpson comic will parody Deathnote.

My feeling about anime being niche, I don't think so. I keep seeing people taking a liking on anime and manga. I already seen anime and manga keep showing up on American media and pop culture. Anime used to be "niche" but now it's a pop culture and a fad for now and probably forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Those list above have helped made anime from niche to what it is now, a fad.
Anime used to be "niche" but now it's a pop culture and a fad for now and probably forever.

I think you misunderstand the word "fad", it implies that it can not last forever, hence if you believe it to be a fad now then it has to end at some point.
Your list actually points to anime becoming more mainstream than a fad. The fad days were back in the late 80's and mid 90's. However you are still wrong if you are trying to imply that it is not "niche" because as I said its definitely not mainstream yet, just ask anyone you know to name more than 1 recently released anime.

TheVok wrote:
Anime is animation from Japan, created within a Japanese industry. And it's a very sophisticated industry that isn't going to grow or mature any further just because you or I or some other North American spreads the word.

And thats exactly where we disagree. I can't convince you and you can't prove to me that if I get more people into it it will not grow faster, so I'm not going to argue with you anymore.
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:
Unlike Video Games -- it's still a niche because older folks -- ages 40+ -- still do not buy them in large numbers. They're the people with big money.

Excuse me?

That's a totally hilarious remark. I never had more disposable income in my life than in my mid-20s. It's been downhill since then. Having kids, getting divorced, etcetera... it all adds up.

- abunai

Well, it may be hard for you to contemplate; but many men and women consider there +40 years of age the "golden years" financial wise. I don't see how it's hilarious to anyone not in the same situation as you, as many that go through life with any sort of wisdom will concentrate on then, instead of now and will eventualy carry a heavy set of capitol in thier "golden years".

Mind you, not everyone goes through a divorce, and goes bankrupt from having kids. Those who go the medical or legal path career wise, will tend to really start making the big sums of money in thier 40's; or upper 30's.

If it all adss up correctly, then one will be at ease financial wise; not in crisis.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
Well, it may be hard for you to contemplate; but many men and women consider there +40 years of age the "golden years" financial wise. I don't see how it's hilarious to anyone not in the same situation as you, as many that go through life with any sort of wisdom will concentrate on then, instead of now and will eventualy carry a heavy set of capitol in thier "golden years".

Mind you, not everyone goes through a divorce, and goes bankrupt from having kids. Those who go the medical or legal path career wise, will tend to really start making the big sums of money in thier 40's; or upper 30's.

If it all adss up correctly, then one will be at ease financial wise; not in crisis.

Spoken with the boundless wisdom and depth of experience of a 16-year-old. Oh, believe me, kid, I hope life turns out that way for you. My cynical side, however, tells me that you're in for several shocks and disappointments. Good luck with that.

- abunai
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
In regard to your statement, I can vouch for people such as my father, and other family members; as well as friends when I say that the ones that kept thier future in mind; were redeemed in the end. However this is not to say that those with little fortune in thier uppers ages are lacking any success; as it is definitly not measured in terms of money.

Quote:
Oh, believe me, kid, I hope life turns out that way for you. My cynical side, however, tells me that you're in for several shocks and disappointments. Good luck with that.

While I thank for you the blessing, I can't imagine how you would know whether or not my future is as I have dreamed. I know I will make mistakes, I know I will fail at tasks, and I know that as long as i'm breathing, I will continue on.

But several shocks and disappointments ? I wouldn't say that persay, as I would really only consider me still being on this forum as a 40 year old man, to be the saddest disappointment of them all.

Talk about a way to try and desecrate the valued dreams of a young adult, Sheesh. Confused

EDIT (oh and to clarify, I'm not talking about anubai, becasue I really don't even know your age, so sorry if I insulted you. I was just talking in general)

Last edited by Watashi wa Ryuzaki on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It only bothers me when it leads to people not taking me as a human being seriously. My entertainment interests do not make me less of a person, okay, thanks. But a lot of people in my town think it does. That's when I get annoyed. Otherwise, I like anime being niche. I like not following the mainstream.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Anime was a niche since Astroboy and Gigantor. But with the help of good anime like Transformers, Robotech, Star Blazers. The anime "niche" started to grew a bit. Akira is what help gave anime a bit of a bigger market, it was still niche but a lot of things gave anime a bigger market then anyone thought it would.

-anime like Dragonball Z, and Pokemon helped because of it's commercial appeal.
-manga, they help made people watch anime.
-Toonami, they helped made anime appealing to younger people. Gundam Wings, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, Ruroni Kenshin. Heck even the people who created toonami said they were anime fan, and they did that on purpose to create new anime fan. That led to Adult Swim. Sci-Fi Channel also helped with the anime fad in the late 90's (but have been revived last year because of anime popularity)
-The Matrix, that movie was heavily influenced by Ghost in the Shell. This could have gotten people to find what anime was, hence the animatrix. It's possible it could have play a role in the anime fad.

Those list above have helped made anime from niche to what it is now, a fad. Look what happen when anime became popular:

-South Park has parodied anime 2 times.
-OEL mangas (Antartic Press did it first before Tokyopop popularize the fad)
-American anime or anime-styled animation (Kappa Mikey, Teen Titans, and Avatar: The last airbender have took anime style and implented in their own way)
-Kanye West's "Stronger" music video has paid homages to Akira. Even Kanye West said he'll do a manga. Madonna's music video has her cosplaying as Mello from Deathnote.
-In June, Jeopardy had a category on anime.
-Now, a Simpson comic will parody Deathnote.

My feeling about anime being niche, I don't think so. I keep seeing people taking a liking on anime and manga. I already seen anime and manga keep showing up on American media and pop culture. Anime used to be "niche" but now it's a pop culture and a fad for now and probably forever.

I don't know where you've been, but I have to break it to you: fads don't last long, and secondly, anime is a niche. just because South Park parodied it twice, Kanye West being inspired by Akira and Madonna cosplaying as Mello are all just coincedinces. Besides, Madonna could have been suggested to cosplay, it might not have been her idea. Music videos have directors too, and alot of the things they do in a music video are up to the directors. Madonna probably thought cosplay was erotic. She will do anything to be erotic, if you have seen her other videos from the 80's to now.
Anime is not a pop culture, for if it was, I would not have been the only anime fan at my school beside one friend. Anime being a niche is no big deal, I think its a good thing.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
First I will have to question if you really are a true fan?

You're absolutely right. I am not a "true" fan. Oh dear! LOL.

Tell you what. The next time you're going to be in Tokyo I'll buy you a drink at the NY B&G atop the PH. Sound good? Wink
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are any of you bothered about being a fan of something as relatively small and niche such as anime?

No, I don't care. I LIKE ANIME AND THAT'S THAT. As for other people who don't like it, I don't really care about what people think of anime. As long as "I'm" happy, I could care less about if "watching anime is childish", "it's for immature people" or whatever "common crap" haters tend to say. Very Happy If they leave my obsession alone then I don't care, but if anyone EVER tells me to STOP watching anime, I'd probably just tell them to die, leave me a lone or just walk away. I live in NY so there's pretty good amount of anime fans here [Other Asians such as myself]. Plus, a majority amount of people here in NY don't care as long as you mind your own business and stay out of each others way [it's a cold city with cold people indeed].
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
ShadowTrader wrote:

Tell you what. The next time you're going to be in Tokyo I'll buy you a drink at the NY B&G atop the PH. Sound good? Wink

I never pass up a free a drink, but I doubt we'll have much to talk about since you are really more of a hentai fan than an anime fan, a fake one at that.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
ShadowTrader wrote:

The funniest thing I've ever seen you write Dax. Lol

Quote:
I don’t see any need to “get the word out” myself.

I think I'm going to have to agree with you in that one daxomni. Anime is my passion, in fact it's turning into my life [probably because I'm watching it more this summer. What can I do? I'm vacation Laughing ] If what you guys mean by "Getting the word out", is getting other people into liking anime, then I'm guilty of not influencing others as well. My reason for that is, that I find no need to do so. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not a "true" anime fan. [What IS a "true" anime fan anyway?] It's not like we're creating an empire. Who cares? It's not important if only a moderate amount of people like anime. As long as YOU like it, then it's fine. I don't know, that's my stance in this whole thing. I'm sleepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8