• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your feelings about anime being "niche"...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Thats true. So what if anime is a niche? If you like anime, thats all that matters. I like anime, I love anime! Cool I don't care if others don't like it.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally I love the whole genre of anime, but it doesn't bother me in the least for having a great adoration for something some people might call a "niche". Other peoples opinions about how the feel about Anime or Manga does not bother me either, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The only problem I have is when someone else tries to force their ideals of what anime and manga means to them, and then try to convince me that how I feel about the genre and it almost seems like they'd rather have me not watch anime or read the manga simply because they don't like it.

More power to the people who voice their own words and opinions, but stay away from me if you think belittling two cultural genres that I hold dear to my heart. And if they just so happen to be labeled as a "niche" then that bothers me even the least.

I love anime, I love manga, and no one in the whole world can take those two away from me.
RangFlash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I hate it. I really think that anime needs to branch out and try new things. There's too much of the same thing in the anime market, and it prevents non-anime fans from jumping right in. It's uninviting. I mean, I tried to get some of my friends at college into anime, and they were turned off from it because of bad impressions that they got from other animes.

I think anime needs to give the "big eyes" a rest. They also need to let moe and harem die. They're getting freakin' old. Do more real sci-fi, like Planetes. Do real drama, not melodrama. Why not try some more visual storytelling, instead of relying so much on dialog?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
You do have to understand that anime companies are first and foremost interested in providing for the Japanese audiences. In many cases that means bringing shows that might be as huge in the US, and not focusing much on what US audiences seek. In many cases, like Cowboy Bebop, what is big here isn't all that successful over in Japan.

They're not going to branch out for the sake of R1 audiences, especially since the show getting licensed in the US isn't even a guarantee anyways. Sure fans will still exist, but unfortunately they stand to gain next to nothing from fans viewing through fansubs, so there's just not as much incentive for the studios to branch out more for the sake of international audience. Besides, like it or not, this stuff sells and that's what many of the fans want, so it's not going to go away anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RangFlash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I think fans will eventually get tired of the same premises over and over, thus killing the anime industry unless they start becoming creative.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:
I think fans will eventually get tired of the same premises over and over, thus killing the anime industry unless they start becoming creative.
Not a chance and as much as I would love to leave the days of super moe behind (Or at least turn it all to a when cicadas cry type thing) as long as the maid girl continues to be the most appealing outfit to the japanese man as long as dating sims are made and adapted and as long as panty shots are allowed on japanese television the lame guy meets lots of girls and then falls in love with the most useless of them type anime series and all that are related to it will live.Undoubtedly.Forever.

As for it being niche well I guess it's annoying when people assume things about what all anime is like and then judge you for it I guess it's annoying but it's something you get used to. When you first meet someone I don't think you should say "Hi my name is__________ and I like anime" and then proceed to talk about why kanon is the best thing ever. I don't think anyone who likes anything should do that. Some anime fans though tend to get very whiny about "why no one appreciates the medium" sometimes very randomly and then once you say you are also a fan (though it's less noticeable) they become very competitive trying to "out geek you." This has happened to me before. I was told that I was "trying to be cool" because my friends consisted of more than otaku and that I "wasn't a real fan" because I prefer the non-hentai type. If those are the type of people that all non-fans see then it's a little more understandable I mean everybody knows that fan right?

Last edited by zanarkand princess on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Elfen12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
So what if anime is a niche? If you like anime, thats all that matters. I like anime, I love anime! I don't care if others don't like it.

I couldn't have said it better myself, simple, yet conveying the point i would have tried to get across in a much longer post... Its like if you like it, you like it, don't let others change that opinion of yours by negativity.

-Elfen12-
Ikari1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
when I first strated watching anime, it made me laugh alot and I loved the craziness to put this in blunt terms. It's a completely different set of ideas and themes to western entertainment. I've already said in another post that I was very impressed by anime when I started watching it. To start watching it you have to have an open mind because it is so different from every thing else out there. I'm saying this from the point of few of someone that lives in the UK bearing in mind.

Anime is niche in terms of a western audience. I think the vast majority of people know anime is out there but choose not to watch it simply because it's a bit different to the Gerry Springer they are used to watching. Having said that, anime isnt exactly advertised that well over here in the UK; the only time I've seen it advertised is from studio ghibli and appleseed recently. I dont watch tv period. I'm much sadder and spend my time online gaming, reading books or watching new films I've rented from blockbuster.

Anime is some thing I enjoy, and when my student friends come into my room and see me watching it, they dont automatically pull a face and go ' your watching silly cartoons again'. They unlike alot of people walked in one day whilst I was watching Full Metal Alchemist and sat there for 5 minutes without saying anything and then said to me all of a sudden. ' this isnt bad, can I watch the series from the beggining'? Now being on episode 44 at the time i was a bit miffed but said ok and started over again. The point is I dont think alot of people give it a chance in the first place which is why it continues to stay niche.

When I've questioned some of my older freinds about this they say, 'I'm just not into that stuff'. Again however, this is coming from somone that made me sit and watch Rambo 4 on blue ray with a grin on thier face the whole time. I just dont see the enjoyment in watching some one blow away 100's of people with a .50 cal machine gun over the course of a good 6 minute time frame but I still watched it so that i could make an honest judgement about it. I dont care if people turn thier nose up at anime.

I especially found it funny that whilst standing in line recently in HMV to buy Elfen Lied, a few people were giving me dirty looks due to the cover art on the front of the dvd's I was holding. The guy at the counter though was excellent, even looking up when the next volume was due to be realeased for me and telling me that I would enjoy the GITS and Gunslinger Girl box sets I also bought. Some people are just too happy with sticking to what they are comfortable with.

Quote:
{MODERATION NOTICE: Donotwriterunonparagraphswithoutanylinebreaksitisdamnnearimpossibletoread. Also, learn to use commas, and please understand that the personal pronoun "I" is always capitalised. -- abunai}

My apologies , that was just laziness on my part. I've revised the post as appropriate.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
I think you misunderstand the word "fad", it implies that it can not last forever, hence if you believe it to be a fad now then it has to end at some point.
Your list actually points to anime becoming more mainstream than a fad. The fad days were back in the late 80's and mid 90's. However you are still wrong if you are trying to imply that it is not "niche" because as I said its definitely not mainstream yet, just ask anyone you know to name more than 1 recently released anime.

I know a lot of people who watch probably more then one anime. Even though they're not hardcore anime fan or otaku.

Dark Elf Warrior
wrote:
don't know where you've been, but I have to break it to you: fads don't last long, and secondly, anime is a niche. just because South Park parodied it twice, Kanye West being inspired by Akira and Madonna cosplaying as Mello are all just coincedinces. Besides, Madonna could have been suggested to cosplay, it might not have been her idea. Music videos have directors too, and alot of the things they do in a music video are up to the directors. Madonna probably thought cosplay was erotic. She will do anything to be erotic, if you have seen her other videos from the 80's to now.
Anime is not a pop culture, for if it was, I would not have been the only anime fan at my school beside one friend. Anime being a niche is no big deal, I think its a good thing.

Oh, trust me. I've seen little kids watching Inuyasha, Bleach, and other anime on adult swim. Even some little kids told me at EB games told me they watch anime online. I found a lot of people who have watch one anime that wasn't shown on TV. Even people who have never watch anime are starting to be curious by anime. I've seen kids as young as 5 or 6 years old reading manga. Even manga and anime has been popping up on newspaper. I've read a article talking about girls and shojo manga. Wall Street Journal did several articles on anime and manga. It's only a matter of time until Family Guy and Simpson will start doing more parody of anime. By the time, we'll be in our 40's, anime will be part of American pop culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaii_naruto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
i know how you feel im only one around whos really into anime alot but if i ask someone if they like this show (anime) i'll get that look. why do they always refer to it as"that cartoon?" its like they seen it on tv while flipping through channel but because they didint take enough intrest to watch it they think its not good :S

i swear if everyone had to sit down and watch anime for a few days i'd gaunrantee we'd have like 70% of people watching Anime hyper but then again while were watching anime their out partying and socializing.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen kids as young as 5 or 6 years old reading manga.

Well I started watching anime when I was 3. Gundam zeta that was my first anime.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
My brother is 11 and my sister is .....I forget. But I think she is 7 Very Happy
Any way my brother loves watching anime with me now and it's one of the little things that we get to do together these days. He even watches the raws with me. My sister on the other hand keeps asking me for sailormoon for her birthday and I almost wish I'd never shown it to her becasue I've now dropped my self into the quagmire that is trying to find sailor moon dvd's online that arn't boot legged. Kids are prepared to watch somehting new when they are that age where as adults can become set in thier ways many a time. I watched Gurren laggan with my brother recently and he loved the humour in it. He like me found kamina to be hilarious especially in the first episode where they are spoiler[riding the escaped pig moles up to the sky.
]

The people who call anime smiply cartoons really annoy me simply because I know that 9 times out of 10 they haven't bothered to watrch any anime at all.

For me the Ghibli films; Nausica , Grave of the Fire flies and Evangelion, were the series/films that made up my mind with regards to watching more anime. I thought if stuff like Nausica can be this good then think of all the other oppuntunities out there. But many people seem to feel that there is some kind of stigma attached to anime. Wether or not this is the fear of being called an otaku or what not I dont know but just from discussion with other people, I find that people just wont give anime a chance in the first place. This is fine by me as I dont have an issue with being the only one to like anime among my friends. I will say that the Ghibli films have done alot to raise anime's profile in recent years but even so theres still those out there that just insist of calling anime ' silly cartoons'.

Edited for mistakes and lazy grammar.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ah evangelion that should be the convert series the one you show all those "anime is for little kids" people. While some people argue that most of the content was there just to look at no one argues that it's "kids stuff". When people see princess mononoke they have to make an exception for all anime being like DBZ and the only people who don't appreciate akira even a little have never seen it. There isn't one male I know who saw ninja scroll and didn't like it (other girls that's a different story.) What I'm saying is that people will make an exception for what they like especially when it comes to anime. Like when we saw Barefoot gen in history class once everybody liked it and they all were sad when watching it but in the end that was apparently the only exception. Even if you show people an anime that they like a lot of times they will just say "well that's the only good one"
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Ah evangelion that should be the convert series the one you show all those "anime is for little kids" people. While some people argue that most of the content was there just to look at no one argues that it's "kids stuff".

Even though Eva's my third favorite anime, I'm not too sure if it would be a good way to start off people to anime. It's fairly complex in the second half, and has plenty of moments that would have newbies saying, "okay, maybe anime isn't for kids, but it is kinda strange". Eva's better off waiting until they've already seen some anime IMHO.

I use Fullmetal Alchemist as a "converter", since it was the series that converted me. Also, the first episode has a fairly gruesome opening scene that would kinda immediately kill the "it's for kids" logic (spoiler[Ed's arm being removed and having nothing but a bloody stump remaining, Ed cursing in despair, and then seeing his "mom" in a messed up zombie-looking body]). But that's just me.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a generational thing. For those of us of a certain age, all it took was that first theatrical look at Akira to convert us. A few years later Evangelion was getting all the acclaim (and you had to hunt it down). The great thing about a show like Fullmetal Alchemist is it can appeal to a much broader range of viewers ... but sadly that doesn't necessarily mean it will ever actually reach a much broader range of viewers in North America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8