• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your feelings about anime being "niche"...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eusis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Haruhi niche in japan? No way just because it came on late at light doesn't make it niche. South park also comes on late at night.

Ask your average Japanese person if they have heard of the show. Chances are they wouldn't know about it and are most likely willing to label you an anime otaku. My Japanese teacher, for instance, hasn't the slightest clue about Evangelion, yet he is fond of watching Sazae-san.

And I was mainly comparing mainstream Japanese TV animeversus shows that "dedicated" Japanese anime fans typically watch. I just find it an interestin observation whenever I see the ANN top ten list about the current most popular anime shows in Japan, and hardly ever see anything that most fans here seem to really get into.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally fine with anime being a niche. I don't see why some people take issue with this. There is nothing wrong with anime being a niche, in fact, I think it is a good thing.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chances are they wouldn't know about it and are most likely willing to label you an anime otaku.

Well you're right that it's no naruto but it's a lot less niche then say kujibiki unbalanced. Truthfully I'm not into too many anime that would be considered "niche" in japan I mean besides the occasional episode of dokuro-chan I usually don't go for many of those shows where you need to be really hard-core otaku to like it.

Quote:
I just find it an interestin observation whenever I see the ANN top ten list about the current most popular anime shows in Japan, and hardly ever see anything that most fans here seem to really get into.
It might be because of the culture difference or trends in what the fans like. For example japanese fans seem to love every new moe type show that comes out while western fans ignore them (Any body notice that moe tan isn't anywhere near as big a hit in the west While cowboy bebop is considered one of the best?)

I for one was sure that code geass would bomb in america and while it's ratings say I'm correct the fan base says otherwise. It's very hit or miss a lot of times because japanese fans do a lot more merchandise collecting and things like that while american fans usually don't so something that gets a lot of attention from well done statues of the shows female characters theirs a good chance it won't do as well in america.
TheVok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Also, while Doraemon is not a household name in the U.S., he is certainly one in many other countries besides Japan.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
I saw some doremon plushies for sale the other day and I wondered "does anyone even know who he is?"
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that in Japan, besides the moe show, alot of the anime that can be viewed by small children are popular as well. If you look at the Anime TV Rankings in Japan, many of the shows on their are all childrens. The only well-known ones that are on the TV Rankings are Detective Conan, Pokemon, Naruto and One Piece.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
The only well-known ones that are on the TV Rankings are Detective Conan, Pokemon, Naruto and One Piece.

Well-known over here, you mean.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Heh Heh famous fans for famous anime. Akira has integrated itself into american pop culture and so has DBZ and lots of people know about NGE. But how many people in hollywood are fans of Dokuro-chan? The popular stuff might not be niche but a lot of it sure is. As for the hot looking models Why couldn't they be as fangirl as anyone else? Because they were hot looking models? Not all of the anime fans in the world have to fit that stereo type because I sure don't and neither do a lot of other people. Just because famous people like something doesn't mean it's not niche. And all those newspaper articles on anime tend to be about "Are they appropriate for your kids?"
"Some of the most popular cartoons in the country come from japan", "The anime epidemic" and stuff like that. Anime is most certainly still a niche.

You don't have to know Dokuro-Chan to be a fan, even though one celebrity may be secretly watching it without us knowing it. Beside, wired magazine talked about manga and how it was created to today.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/15-11/ff_manga

Anyway, I think anime is no longer in the niche market. Why, as I said anime appear a lot on TV. I meet a lot of people who are becoming new anime fan which I'm helping some people with. Many people are going online and watching it "accidentally". Have a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLzCN0TJQiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS0e3TE7mPg

I don't know if you've been paying attention to ANN, but Marvel Comic is going to have a Iron Man and Wolverine anime. Don't forget in June, Jeopardy has a category on anime also, so that proves that anime has been on everybody minds. Don't forget several anime are being made into a live-action movie like Dragonball and Deathnote, does that sound like niche. Oh beside Wired Magazine, The Wall Street Journal last year talk about manga mania.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118851157811713921.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Time Magazine:
http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article/0,9171,1223355,00.html

Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/32742

They all talk about manga. But they also mention about anime in the article also. Now who says that anime is niche when manga has been popping up on the news article. It does prove that anime is somewhat popular and almost well known to maybe a lot of people, not all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Anime is still a niiche entertainment medium in western countries but anime is becoiming more and more popular or integrated within society. It's popularity is growing and exspanding slowly but surley into western countries. I will use a few examples. According to the japan external trade organisation, nearly 60% of all cartoons world wide are anime related. Childrens anime programmes such as Pokemon and Yughio are often ranked within the top 10 most watched childrens shows in the US and other american based shows such as powerpuff girls show clear anime inspirations. I suspect there fore that alot of people simply do not realise that they are watching anime at all sometimes. Also i will also suggest that people who are new to anime are often used to seeing the medium used in children shows and as such will find it difficult to watch anime in general which might explain the stereotypical reactions i see day in and day out from people when i try to make a case for them giving anime a go.

Howeverthe fact that anime appeals to an adult audience as well as a young audience has begun to aid in anime's popularity rising over the last few years. The adult swim channel for example was at one point the most watched cable block in its time slot for men aged between 18 and 34, outdoing shows such as 'Late show with david letterman' and ' The tonight show'. Another reason why anime may be becoming more popular rather than more niche, lies in it's ability to present a fantastical world. Events in society of late could be responcible for people wanting to 'grasp' onto new mediums that offer more in the way of escapism than traditional live action films can. So really anime maybe might not be as niche as we like to think or think it actually is. It is certainly not becoming less popular as time goes by.

Dean
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Anime is still a niiche entertainment medium in western countries but anime is becoiming more and more popular or integrated within society. It's popularity is growing and exspanding slowly but surley into western countries. I will use a few examples. According to the japan external trade organisation, nearly 60% of all cartoons world wide are anime related. Childrens anime programmes such as Pokemon and Yughio are often ranked within the top 10 most watched childrens shows in the US and other american based shows such as powerpuff girls show clear anime inspirations. I suspect there fore that alot of people simply do not realise that they are watching anime at all sometimes. Also i will also suggest that people who are new to anime are often used to seeing the medium used in children shows and as such will find it difficult to watch anime in general which might explain the stereotypical reactions i see day in and day out from people when i try to make a case for them giving anime a go.

Howeverthe fact that anime appeals to an adult audience as well as a young audience has begun to aid in anime's popularity rising over the last few years. The adult swim channel for example was at one point the most watched cable block in its time slot for men aged between 18 and 34, outdoing shows such as 'Late show with david letterman' and ' The tonight show'. Another reason why anime may be becoming more popular rather than more niche, lies in it's ability to present a fantastical world. Events in society of late could be responcible for people wanting to 'grasp' onto new mediums that offer more in the way of escapism than traditional live action films can. So really anime maybe might not be as niche as we like to think or think it actually is. It is certainly not becoming less popular as time goes by.

Dean

There is some truth to that. But still anime to me is no longer niche, it's now known to a lot of anime fan. I get a lot of new anime fan everyday, it's like anime reach out to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I get a lot of new anime fan everyday

What does this even mean? Anime fans come to you? Confused
Joysjuhhh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

Well, maybe it's not that 'niche' in the USA. But nobody in The Netherlands knows what/who Naruto is! Ok, almost nobody haha.

Years ago we had DBZ airing on tv, and pokemon's still very popular, but that's about it. I wish it was more popular!
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What does this even mean? Anime fans come to you?

I think he means that he sees more and more anime fans everyday.
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I hate the fact that it's a niche hobby, and other times I love it.

The "hate" comes from the fact that a lot of people I know view them as simply a media that only children can enjoy, just because they're cartoons, and since I'm an teenager I should be watching some soap opera on TV. Then they go off to see the latest Disney/Pixar movie. Plus, stereotypes high schoolers are so fond of.

I don't like being viewed as some unintelligent anti-English Japanophile, thank you.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:
Sometimes I hate the fact that it's a niche hobby, and other times I love it.

The "hate" comes from the fact that a lot of people I know view them as simply a media that only children can enjoy, just because they're cartoons, and since I'm an teenager I should be watching some soap opera on TV. Then they go off to see the latest Disney/Pixar movie. Plus, stereotypes high schoolers are so fond of.

I don't like being viewed as some unintelligent anti-English Japanophile, thank you.

Others' point of view doesn't matter, though, unless you specifically want to share your enjoyment of anime with them. But really, why bother?

No one need know you're an anime fan. It doesn't have to be public knowledge and, as a result, you don't have to be viewed as an unintelligent anti-English Japanophile.

Anime is nothing to be ashamed of, but it also does not inherently need to be shared with those around you ....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8