• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirated Anime DVD Auctions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hegemonic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...truly, brave men die only once, but cowards die a thousand times...

Wait...he's brave? Well, I could say he's foolhardy, but brave?...Livin' on the fast lane? You make it sound cool, when it isn't. As for bravery and cowardice...the latter would apply.

So they caught him doing something illegal, is it going to help in the total situation? No, but he was stopped, just like the next one will be.

Last edited by Hegemonic on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
This guy was profiting so it's not like fansubs imo.

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

I don't really think it's criminal to take something that you created and sell it for a minuscule profit. The prices are set so that they can reasonably expect to at least make back what was spent producing the material, plus a little extra so that they can earn a living. This is true in Japan and in the US. The prices are what they are because that's what is necessary to sustain the industry.

I do agree that this is worse than fansubs, but just because a person thinks the actual price is unfair does not justify giving someone other than the creators of the content (or relevant licensees) money for that content. It undermines the entire industry.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:
These brave men are falling

Dear gawd I hope that's intentional sarcasm? I mean what kind of person equates piracy with bravery?
"Taking risks" or "livin on the edge" how's that.

I've never felt especially heroic when I place a blank disc in my DVD burner. Maybe I should be queueing up the Rocky theme when I do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
SinsI wrote:
I wonder if he even made a profit with those ridiculous prices he had to pay for those discs in the first place and a minimum amount of premium he charged.

Well he made like $9000, and I forgot if he had 3 or 4 sets, but it was $500 a set so about $2000 so he made about $7000...not much if you are risking jail IMO.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:

Dear gawd I hope that's intentional sarcasm? I mean what kind of person equates piracy with bravery?

I think the point he was trying to get at was that pirates who get arrested are somehow seen as martyrs for a cause that is percieved to be small innocent good guy versus supremely evil megacorporate conglomerate, as if they are akin to freedome fighters of some kind. I once had a friend describe to me piracy as "fighting fire with fire". Of course, because it was totally the businesses who wronged the customer first, and not the other way round. Rolling Eyes

As far as I'm concerned the man arrested in Japan is amongst the lowest scum in the pirating business, not content merely with ripping off the businesses, but also the customers. I hope they lock him up and throw away the key along with all the other human scum.
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:
This guy was profiting so it's not like fansubs imo.

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

I don't really think it's criminal to take something that you created and sell it for a minuscule profit. The prices are set so that they can reasonably expect to at least make back what was spent producing the material, plus a little extra so that they can earn a living. This is true in Japan and in the US. The prices are what they are because that's what is necessary to sustain the industry.

I do agree that this is worse than fansubs, but just because a person thinks the actual price is unfair does not justify giving someone other than the creators of the content (or relevant licensees) money for that content. It undermines the entire industry.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:

I've never felt especially heroic when I place a blank disc in my DVD burner. Maybe I should be queueing up the Rocky theme when I do it.

Like I said, I am not condoning the criminal behavior of this guy, but there is no way that it costs $500 for a few movies. It is $400 for all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG for instance.

Also, think about how popular Dragonball is...it must have made enough money over the years for a box set of movies to be less than $500...

I REALLY doubt $500 creates a minuscule profit.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
clsnwbrdr616 wrote:
melonbread wrote:
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.

I hate it when people say this. Maybe it's not doing much, but you can't just do nothing about it!

He's right, and so is everybody else who is against this guy who pirates anime. Yeah, so there still will be dirtbags who pirate anime DVDs. But something is being done to stop it. Get with it and just accept it melonbread. Or do you buy pirated DVDs and not want these people to stop? Question
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This fool should have known better. How in the hell did he think he was going to get away with selling Dragonbox material for pennies almost? Toei doesn't like anyone trying to cut into their profits.
kazana144

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Punishing drug dealers doesn't stop drug dealing either. Punishing burglary and robbery doesn't stop them from happening. Punishing murderers doesn't stop murders from happening. Are you telling me that we shouldn't punish people for crimes?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
SinsI wrote:
I wonder if he even made a profit with those ridiculous prices he had to pay for those discs in the first place and a minimum amount of premium he charged.

Dragon Ball Dragon Box the Movies set has 26 discs. If they use Double Layer DVD-R's (2$ each) it would cost 52$ just to make it.
And he was selling it for 37$?
OK, if he were using a SL DVD-R's he would make 10$ per box set - but it takes at least 4 hours just to write them all!
That's 20$ per work day - and honestly, a 37 y.o. company employee in Japan earns many, many times that with his salary...
This 25% premium from 9000$ of sales minus 2000$ for the original would make this whole thing a pure money loss.

Something seriously doesn't add up in this story - usually only students and unemployed people bother to sell such bootlegs.

Bootleg DVD manufacturers rarely use dual layer DVDs. They copy the originals, take out all of the extras and compress the video to death until it fits on a DVD-5. To make them even cheaper, sometimes they squeeze more than one set of episodes/movie on a disk. And regular DVD-Rs are dirt cheap.

Also, if he's making a business manufacturing and selling DVDs, he probably has equipment that can burn more than one DVD at once. I did some volunteer work at a church a few years ago and they had a gadget that burned 10 copies of a CD at once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
Like I said, I am not condoning the criminal behavior of this guy, but there is no way that it costs $500 for a few movies. It is $400 for all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG for instance.

Also, think about how popular Dragonball is...it must have made enough money over the years for a box set of movies to be less than $500...

In the long standing tradition of internet forums everywhere, I hadn't RTFA. Yes, $500 is a lot, and you're right there's most likely extra profit built into that. It's not mentioned in the article, but this probably had to be some kind of special or commemorative edition that was being released. If that is indeed the case, then I can see the need for a higher price tag if they're doing a limited run, especially if extra work was done in creating these sets, such as adding extras, remastering the movies, and so on.

It could also be the case that they're just cashing in on their IP by making a collector's edition. But if that's true then surely the individual movies were already available separately or maybe were even already previously released in box set form.

---------------------------

In reference to other posts: DVD-Rs that are burned copies are typically much less durable or long-lasting than a DVD that has been pressed by the official company. It's really not a good way to get anime, no matter how you look at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I just want them to shut down more of the sites selling "official" boxsets of anime. I get tired of the amount of places that sell things like Full Metal Panic Complete on 3 disk for $24.99. But, this is also good since the man definitely deserves to be in prison.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:

In the long standing tradition of internet forums everywhere, I hadn't RTFA. Yes, $500 is a lot, and you're right there's most likely extra profit built into that. It's not mentioned in the article, but this probably had to be some kind of special or commemorative edition that was being released. If that is indeed the case, then I can see the need for a higher price tag if they're doing a limited run, especially if extra work was done in creating these sets, such as adding extras, remastering the movies, and so on.

It could also be the case that they're just cashing in on their IP by making a collector's edition. But if that's true then surely the individual movies were already available separately or maybe were even already previously released in box set form.
The Dragonbox: The Movies is a limited edition complete collection of all the Dragonball and DBZ movies ever made. It came complete with extras and original trailers for the films. The set also came with Scouter walkie talkies. However, the collection was pre-order only, and Toei only had enough made to cover the pre-orders. Being as outside of the VHS and Funi releases of the Dragonball/Z movies, Japan had never seen a DVD release of these films. Toei in a few months are going to release each movie alone on DVD. So yeah, the high price was kinda justified.

Just for information purposes, Toei did 4 other Dragonbox sets. Dragonball Z was divided into 2 sets, One was done for all of Dragonball, and GT saw it's own boxset. The sets for DB and DBZ were 800 dollars a piece. GT's set was about 400-ish. All the sets came with extras and such. Funny thing is Toei released single DVDs for all the series, and if you total the cost of buying them all, it equals the cost of buying a Dragonbox.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
kazana144 wrote:
Punishing drug dealers doesn't stop drug dealing either. Punishing burglary and robbery doesn't stop them from happening. Punishing murderers doesn't stop murders from happening. Are you telling me that we shouldn't punish people for crimes?

People should be punished for their crimes.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Is this really going to do anything to stop pirating in the long-term? I don't think so.

It has to start somewhere. So,you can't expect each individual guy getting busted for illegally profiting from Anime to completely scare the other ones in to submission. But,it's three giant steps toward doing so. Cool
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
daxomni wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:

I think the point he was trying to get at was that pirates who get arrested are somehow seen as martyrs for a cause that is percieved to be small innocent good guy versus supremely evil megacorporate conglomerate, as if they are akin to freedome fighters of some kind. I once had a friend describe to me piracy as "fighting fire with fire". Of course, because it was totally the businesses who wronged the customer first, and not the other way round. Rolling Eyes

As far as I'm concerned the man arrested in Japan is amongst the lowest scum in the pirating business, not content merely with ripping off the businesses, but also the customers. I hope they lock him up and throw away the key along with all the other human scum.

What???!!! The guys distributing other people's property illegally over the net,and that guy simply thinks he's a hero among pirates,thats all. Nothing else to read into it. He's not the 21st century Robin Hood(plus Robin Hood didn't make a profit from his thievery)He's just low-life bootlegger who got caught and they'll be plenty more to come. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6