• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirated Anime DVD Auctions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:

Like I said, I am not condoning the criminal behavior of this guy, but there is no way that it costs $500 for a few movies. It is $400 for all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG for instance.

Also, think about how popular Dragonball is...it must have made enough money over the years for a box set of movies to be less than $500...

I REALLY doubt $500 creates a minuscule profit.

Ok
you need to head over to a couple sites like CD Japan & see what anime dvds go for in their native land.
Issue is copyright is all skewered in Japan from what we would consider business as usual. It's not WB releasing Harry Potter. There are sometimes several rights to secure. MediaBlasters was going to release the Riki-oh anime, but ir fell thru I believe because they couldn't get the music rights. I seem to recall somewhere in the commentary on that one Space Force dvd ADV released, they commented on their inability to secure some of the musical rights so they had to use something else (although I had gotten distracted by the screen action, so they might have been talking about a different title by then. I think I was listening to the commentary & reading the show's subtitles to get thru the dvd in one listen instead of 2)

I saw this set at Sanseido a year or 2 ago & they wanted $400 or so for it & I was totally blown away (my first thought was the movies weren't worth THAT much...)
Over at CD Japan the price for the Dragonball GT Box Dragon Box GT Hen (out of Print-Preorder only) was 50000 yen which they translate to loosely $456 for 64 episodes.
THE 2 DBZ boxes they list (also pre-order onlyu/out of print) are 100000 yen each ($913.83 so double it to own all 291 episodes)
You cannot equate Amrican dvds to Japanese. Our companies believe in "Priced to own" while Japan is very much into the exclusive collector market.
I looked longingly at that Saint Seiya Eternal Box CD set they have-13 cds containing all the music up to Hades Hen for a mere 19000 yen ($173). I keep wishing we could get Legend of the Galactic Heroes over here. I seem to recall a special set issued a couple years back in Japan for about $2000. One can get box sets of 26 eps for about $443.

You cannot compare the Japanese pricing system to ours at all.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:

Like I said, I am not condoning the criminal behavior of this guy, but there is no way that it costs $500 for a few movies. It is $400 for all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG for instance.

Also, think about how popular Dragonball is...it must have made enough money over the years for a box set of movies to be less than $500...

I REALLY doubt $500 creates a minuscule profit.

Ok
you need to head over to a couple sites like CD Japan & see what anime dvds go for in their native land.
Issue is copyright is all skewered in Japan from what we would consider business as usual. It's not WB releasing Harry Potter. There are sometimes several rights to secure. MediaBlasters was going to release the Riki-oh anime, but ir fell thru I believe because they couldn't get the music rights. I seem to recall somewhere in the commentary on that one Space Force dvd ADV released, they commented on their inability to secure some of the musical rights so they had to use something else (although I had gotten distracted by the screen action, so they might have been talking about a different title by then. I think I was listening to the commentary & reading the show's subtitles to get thru the dvd in one listen instead of 2)

I saw this set at Sanseido a year or 2 ago & they wanted $400 or so for it & I was totally blown away (my first thought was the movies weren't worth THAT much...)
Over at CD Japan the price for the Dragonball GT Box Dragon Box GT Hen (out of Print-Preorder only) was 50000 yen which they translate to loosely $456 for 64 episodes.
THE 2 DBZ boxes they list (also pre-order onlyu/out of print) are 100000 yen each ($913.83 so double it to own all 291 episodes)
You cannot equate Amrican dvds to Japanese. Our companies believe in "Priced to own" while Japan is very much into the exclusive collector market.
I looked longingly at that Saint Seiya Eternal Box CD set they have-13 cds containing all the music up to Hades Hen for a mere 19000 yen ($173). I keep wishing we could get Legend of the Galactic Heroes over here. I seem to recall a special set issued a couple years back in Japan for about $2000. One can get box sets of 26 eps for about $443.

You cannot compare the Japanese pricing system to ours at all.

perhaps that's the real problem then. There are many Japanese people who'd rather import anime in from the US than buy it for way more in their own country. I honestly believe Japan should rethink their whole pricing and production costs to further combat pirating. Not to say the people who produce and sell pirate goods are justified in some way, but the truth of the matter is people ended up buying those pirates and I'm sure if the prices were a little less outrageous people would be more inclined to not settle for a low quality bootleg.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
perhaps that's the real problem then. There are many Japanese people who'd rather import anime in from the US than buy it for way more in their own country. I honestly believe Japan should rethink their whole pricing and production costs to further combat pirating. Not to say the people who produce and sell pirate goods are justified in some way, but the truth of the matter is people ended up buying those pirates and I'm sure if the prices were a little less outrageous people would be more inclined to not settle for a low quality bootleg.

You, my friend, obviously do not know the economics behind Japan. For one, the Japanese try not to import things if they don't have to. Two, DVD and CD prices are not the only things that we might consider expensive in Japan. Three, people get paid in a way that they can afford these things, not like the minimal 8 bucks an hour that you would make working at Best Buy. And we have people complaining about the prices of DVDs over here? Give me a break Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

You're not paying for how much it costs to make the physical media; you're paying for how much it costs to create the contents that goes into the media.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:
These brave men are falling Anime cry

Now people who sell bootlegs are "brave"? I suppose by your definition of integrity Adolf Hitler was perfection incarnate.

Oops! I cite Godwin's Law! Laughing
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:

Now people who sell bootlegs are "brave"? I suppose by your definition of integrity Adolf Hitler was perfection incarnate.

You guys need to stop with this crap. Freedom of Speech is being jeopardized here, stop being self righteous. We all have different perceptions concerning “piracy” and that’s just how things are. Who cares if you don’t agree with what he says? People have different opinions. Let Onsokumaru say what he truly believes in. It’s better to have someone portray what is truly on their mind, rather than having that person go along with what the crowd says.

My stance on this issue is that, just as there are Cons to piracy, there are pros [for the consumers] as well, it’s as simple as that.
SinsI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
Well he made like $9000, and I forgot if he had 3 or 4 sets, but it was $500 a set so about $2000 so he made about $7000...not much if you are risking jail IMO.

You are forgetting that the DVD-R's, electricity and the time to write them aren't free either.

Quote:
Bootleg DVD manufacturers rarely use dual layer DVDs. They copy the originals, take out all of the extras and compress the video to death until it fits on a DVD-5. To make them even cheaper, sometimes they squeeze more than one set of episodes/movie on a disk. And regular DVD-Rs are dirt cheap.

Also, if he's making a business manufacturing and selling DVDs, he probably has equipment that can burn more than one DVD at once. I did some volunteer work at a church a few years ago and they had a gadget that burned 10 copies of a CD at once.

DVD bootleg manufacturers don't use DVD-R's at all - they print them the same way original versions are made. And usually have even better print quality. Read the story closer - this guy used an ordinary PC, with no fancy equipment.
He is not even a small fry bootlegger, it is pretty much the same as when the RIAA is suing housewifes over a couple songs their kids shared on P2P.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Whilst the legality of the sitation goes without saying, I can't not say that the ludicrous prices that the japanese pay for things didn't contribute to this nonsence.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Free market economies dictate that prices are set by the amount people are willing to pay for them.

But never mind, let's excuse all piracy because people on the internet from another country think it's too much money. Rolling Eyes
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Free market economies dictate that prices are set by the amount people are willing to pay for them.

But never mind, let's excuse all piracy because people on the internet from another country think it's too much money. Rolling Eyes

The voice of reason.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I agree with you that we shouldn't excuse this activity and that should work to stop it, however, I think the argument in your first sentence is not based on "free market economies" in the least.

A pure free market would have the market price set by supply and demand. Black markets naturally exist anytime you attempt to
1) Control supply by limiting purchases to select individuals
2) Artificially inflate the price above that which the marginal cost and supply/demand dictate the price should be.

In the first case, black markets will have higher costs generally in order to provide goods (like lets say guns), to those who want them but cannot obtain them legally. In the second case, black markets will have lower costs by using the low marginal costs of reproduction.

"Free market" ideology recognizes that black markets will come into being whenever there are artificial controls in place. We have and always will exist in a mixed market system. Some desire more government involvement, and some a lot less.
SinsI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

You do understand that as soon as monopoly comes into play there's no more free market?
And artifical monopoly (=copyright) is the perfect example.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
While I'd agree with you that copyright constitutes an artificial control, I'd avoid the "monopoly" word as you'll just end up tying the thread on a semantic argument that has gone on lots of times in the past.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Onsokumaru wrote:

You guys need to stop with this crap. Freedom of Speech is being jeopardized here, stop being self righteous. We all have different perceptions concerning “piracy” and that’s just how things are. Who cares if you don’t agree with what he says? People have different opinions. Let Onsokumaru say what he truly believes in. It’s better to have someone portray what is truly on their mind, rather than having that person go along with what the crowd says.

Um, waidaminute. . . . It's okay for a person to post his opinion on a subject, but not for others to post theirs? Dropping the Adolph-bomb was probably overkill (enurtsol wins the Godwin game), but, really, the rest of us have just as much a right (well, privilege -- it's a privately owned site) to object to Onsokumaru's stance on the subject as he has to post it. No one is kicking down his door and confiscating his keyboard, just emphatically disagreeing with an arguably questionable position. Freedom of speech isn't being jeopardized, it's being exorcised.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

You, my friend, obviously do not know the economics behind Japan. For one, the Japanese try not to import things if they don't have to. Two, DVD and CD prices are not the only things that we might consider expensive in Japan. Three, people get paid in a way that they can afford these things, not like the minimal 8 bucks an hour that you would make working at Best Buy. And we have people complaining about the prices of DVDs over here? Give me a break Rolling Eyes

You, my friend, obviously don't live in Japan. The fact is wages in Japan are NOT higher than in the US. Most basic minimum wage jobs pay 900 yen an hour...(that's about... $8.50) You can get part time jobs that pay 1000 or 1100 yen an hour, but they are usually only part time. Starting salaries for new employees are LOW, around $20,000-$25,000 a year for college grads. You get raises only through seniority, bonuses are few.
Especially for those that live in the city, you don't have much if any cash to spend if you are making this kind of money and have to rent an apartment.
The only people who can afford $500 DB movie box sets are 35+ year old salary men who worked up the food chain or spoiled 20-something children of well off families who sponge off their parents and still live at home (the majority of otaku, I think Smile ).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
You, my friend, obviously don't live in Japan. The fact is wages in Japan are NOT higher than in the US. Most basic minimum wage jobs pay 900 yen an hour...(that's about... $8.50) You can get part time jobs that pay 1000 or 1100 yen an hour, but they are usually only part time. Starting salaries for new employees are LOW, around $20,000-$25,000 a year for college grads. You get raises only through seniority, bonuses are few.
Especially for those that live in the city, you don't have much if any cash to spend if you are making this kind of money and have to rent an apartment.
The only people who can afford $500 DB movie box sets are 35+ year old salary men who worked up the food chain or spoiled 20-something children of well off families who sponge off their parents and still live at home (the majority of otaku, I think Smile ).

You're right, I don't live in Japan. At least not right now. But I've lived there, and I know how things are in Japan. I've lived with its people, and learned the language. I am a lot more connected to Japan than you would think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6