• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Saint Shingo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
I saw the first one. I think it was the Toei show that replaced Dragon Ball GT.

Wrong, Dragon Ball GT was replaced by the Dr. Slump remake and Yu-Gi-Oh was on a different network when it premiered.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
Kozo Morishita was also the producer and planner for pretty much every Dragon Ball animated material conceived.

Yep. For me, he's the Dragon Ball guy, in much the same way that Araki is the Saint Seiya guy.

Uppa wrote:
Did the Shingo pair really work on the character designs in the Studio Gallop Yu-Gi-Oh! series as well?

Fair point, as Araki Pro were almost 100% Toei-based. Either way, the newer designs were based on their work, kind of like how all of the Sakura Taisen TV anime is based on Hidenori Matsubara's work, which is in turn based on original drawings by Kosuke Fujishima. At any rate, I'm pretty sure Yugi's grandpa does appear in that first series, but not 100% sure. Anyone want to watch the whole thing and check? XD

Zhou-BR wrote:

I'm not so sure they were ever married. When Araki passed away, many Japanese websites like this one mentioned his widow Hiroko as the one who represented his family at the memorial service.

Okay, about once a column, I have a HA HA, MIKE IS STUPID moment. I cross-checked a few sources on Araki's relationship with Himeno, and it looks like the machine translation I was using (I have the Japanese skill of a 3-year-old) gaffed, which led me to pull out my JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS mat. The error has been fixed, thanks for the link!

Lord Geo wrote:
And though I wouldn't call Ring ni Kakero 1 "loved" on the fansub circuit, because if it was "loved" then the English fansubs wouldn't be stuck half-way through Season 3, it's nice to see someone else bring up the title for once; anyone who's thinking about checking it out should definitely do so, since it's simply great fun to watch. And Fuuma no Kojirou, too, which kind of surprised me; that's easily a case of a Kurumada manga being animated due to the popularity of another title (Saint Seiya, in this case).

Well... a huge number of shows I like tend to stall out in the fansub phase within three or four episodes. I figure anything that gets past an entire season has SOME sort of fanbase, yeah? ;)

I've liked the Fuma I've seen, but it's awfully hard to get past the "star system" approach, since the entire main cast look like Saint Seiya guys. Has that one been fansubbed, I wonder?

Quote:
I believe it's Eisaku Inoue who's been providing the artwork for the latest Saint Seiya merchandise, including the video games. He might have been the animation director on the all-new sequences Toei made especially for the pachinko machine, too.

It's kind of sad, but an awful lot of pretty good sakkans are putting out GREAT work... for pachinko machines. I need to do a column on this subject at some point.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I just looked up Shingo Araki's bio again. What you forgot,Mr. Toole,is that he did some American work as well. He did some animation work for "Inspector Gadget" and "Heathcliff and the Cadillac Cats." He also did work on a direct-to-video film called "The Adventures of the American Rabbit." It's a shame you didn't tell anyone about that. I don't see anything wrong with doing American animation. Why you omitted that part is something I'll never know.

This isn't the kind of stuff I forget. If I miss facts, its in details like the marriage gaffe. I deliberately omitted these titles, as I feel that they don't have the "Araki feel" that the other productions do. FYI, I also failed to mention Aoki Densetsu Shoot!, which DID have that "Araki Pro" feel, but I wrote extensively about that one waay back in the soccer column I did in 2010. I didn't mention Apache Baseball Team, or Ode to Judo, or the Shogun Tokugawa TV special he did, or Magical Girl Lalabelle, or Flower Angel Lunlun, or about a dozen or so more productions. If I wrote about every single thing the guy worked on, the column would've been five thousand words long!

Anyway, the shows you mention aren't bad, but they don't have that Araki Pro feel that the ones I mentioned, by and large, do. Inspector Gadget, in particular, had much of its animation work done in Japan, but the initial character atwork was created by Bruno Bianchi, so I think of it as "his" rather than an Araki Pro joint. Bruno passed away a few days ago; may he RIP as well!

I do recommend that everyone go and grab the AMERICAN RABBIT film. It's not an OVA, it was released in theatres by Clubhouse Pictures, the studio that was formed by Atlantic Records in the wake of the Smurfs film's successful US release. IMO it's more of a Fred Wolf picture than any other senior contributor; you should be able to get it on DVD for under $5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Well... a huge number of shows I like tend to stall out in the fansub phase within three or four episodes. I figure anything that gets past an entire season has SOME sort of fanbase, yeah? Wink

Point taken, and I can fully understand how you feel, though Ring ni Kakero 1 Seasons 1 & 2 did take a good while to be fully subbed, complete with stalls, potential fansubs drops, and the like. Hell, Season 2 was fully subbed before the last episode of Season 1 was finally subbed. At the very least I would love to see Toei, CrunchyRoll, or NicoNico make all four seasons available online subbed via streaming.

Quote:
I've liked the Fuma I've seen, but it's awfully hard to get past the "star system" approach, since the entire main cast look like Saint Seiya guys. Has that one been fansubbed, I wonder?

Yeah, the star system can be a little weird at times because of the similarities, but I guess I've simply accepted that fact. As for Fuma, I heard that it was subbed back in the days of video trading, but obviously very few of those things are transferred over the digital format. But, simply put, Fuma no Kojiro is not fansubbed one bit in English. I'd love to see it licensed one day (even though it definitely doesn't go much higher than being, in my opinion, "Masami Kurumada's fourth-most-well-known-title"), but that's certainly never going to happen unless David Williams and the guys at Sentai are nostalgic for it, like they apparently were for Ghost Sweeper Mikami.

And, while we're on the subject, do you have any idea who actually made the Fuma no Kojiro OVAs, Mike? I've seen contradicting reports that Toei, Animate Film, or J.C. Staff made all three OVAs, but even looking at the raws for the first OVA I have I can't find out which company actually made these animes; the Japanese Wikipedia page doesn't even give a real answer. I would guess Toei simply due to the Araki/Himeno connection, but Toei's website doesn't have any mention of Fuma. Who the hell made these animes?
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Ulysses 31 and Mighty Orbots are my favorite American-Japanese cartoons of all time thanks to Araki's great character designs.

Cool
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Though it isn't really liked by YGO fans due to it's multiple changes from the manga, mostly to tone down the craziness that those chapters contained, I'd easily buy "Season 0" if it got licensed one day.

It will never happen because the studio and TV station that were involved in it's creation cannot sell it themselves. Toei Animation animated it to air on TV Asahi, and the second series was animated by Studio Gallop to air on TV Tokyo. Toei and TV Asahi have re-released the Movie that was made after the original series (season 0) on DVD (in Japan) because it's an original storyline, but they lack the rights to the storyline from the manga so they are unable to sell the series, let alone sell the rights to a company overseas to sell it.

Mike Toole wrote:
At any rate, I'm pretty sure Yugi's grandpa does appear in that first series, but not 100% sure. Anyone want to watch the whole thing and check? Anime hyper

Yugi's grandfather is in the original series, however I'm not sure if any of the character designs were based on the season 0 designs, they are so different style wise.
AzureGrimmjow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Sure, Ulysses 31 isn't as easily recognized as that of Inspector Gadget or Heathcliff, but I'm sure it's way more recognizeable than The Adventures of the American Rabbit, which I don't think even you know much about.

Wrong. I haven't heard of Ulysses unless it was immediatly followed by S. Grant.
I loved the American Rabbit. That is something from my childhood I will never forget.
He was like a combination of Under Dog, Captain America, & Jet Set Radio Future (well maybe not. But that's a nice idea).

Mike Toole wrote:

Anyway, the shows you mention aren't bad, but they don't have that Araki Pro feel that the ones I mentioned, by and large, do. Inspector Gadget, in particular, had much of its animation work done in Japan, but the initial character atwork was created by Bruno Bianchi, so I think of it as "his" rather than an Araki Pro joint. Bruno passed away a few days ago; may he RIP as well!

I do recommend that everyone go and grab the AMERICAN RABBIT film. It's not an OVA, it was released in theatres by Clubhouse Pictures, the studio that was formed by Atlantic Records in the wake of the Smurfs film's successful US release. IMO it's more of a Fred Wolf picture than any other senior contributor; you should be able to get it on DVD for under $5.

Awe man, Not Bruno too.

I'll be sure to get the DVD if I can get it for that price.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Though it isn't really liked by YGO fans due to it's multiple changes from the manga, mostly to tone down the craziness that those chapters contained, I'd easily buy "Season 0" if it got licensed one day.

It will never happen because the studio and TV station that were involved in it's creation cannot sell it themselves. Toei Animation animated it to air on TV Asahi, and the second series was animated by Studio Gallop to air on TV Tokyo. Toei and TV Asahi have re-released the Movie that was made after the original series (season 0) on DVD (in Japan) because it's an original storyline, but they lack the rights to the storyline from the manga so they are unable to sell the series, let alone sell the rights to a company overseas to sell it.

Hold on. You're saying this movie DID get a DVD release (in Japan of course): anime#2760

Can you show me evidence of that? Or better yet, where I could buy it!

And for the record, Yu-Gi-Oh! is a great manga that brings the craziness of gambling manga to the Shonen Jump audience. Just ask House of 1000 Manga expert, Jason Thompson. It's just that while the Duel Monsters anime has some excellent elements (voice acting, music, occasionally good animation and plot adaptation), on the whole none of the anime adaptations or spinoffs of Yu-Gi-Oh! are really that good. Not to mention, horrible dubs and English localization are mainly to blame for the universal hatred of franchises like Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh! by basically all anime fans.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
I just want to say we haven't dropped Ring ni Kakero S3. We're just a very slow fansub with like 3-4 people not to mention that our main translator and leader also does french fansubs as well. Plus, Ring ni Kakero 3 is one of our side projects. Hiei- (translator and leader) actually managed to get his hands on the season 4 dvd.

Like Lord Geo said, there isn't a big support for Ring ni Kakero, or should I say zero support for it. Actually, I think he's about the only english speaking fan I know that spoke lengths about it. When season 4 was released, not a single raw popped up, except for some crappy YT video quality. Same for season 3. I also want to say that Saint Seiya fans aren't Kurumada fans either. They're just not indifferent to it, they also dismiss it as a Seiya clone with boxing gloves despite the fact that the manga came out earlier. And of course, how could I forget the trolltastic comments on YT/CR videos of Ring ni Kakero by Ippo fans.

Think about it, why don't I see people complaining that Dragonball features unrealistic martial arts? Because people know that it's kind of the point of the show. But when unrealistic boxing is portrayed in Ring ni Kakero, it gets criticized for it. Oh wait, or are they implying that martial arts ain't a sport? That's bollocks.

Now onto Araki, there's nothing I actually want to say except that he's probably my favourite character designer of all time. Just realize how much better Gundam Seed would be if it had Araki as a designer rather than Hirai.

Here's a manga called Sourire D'Enfance which literally translates to Childhood Smile he did early this year exclusively for a french magazine. You can actually read some of it on his official website. Just close the message when you reach the website (which I assume talks about his passing).

http://www.arakishingo.com

Or here's a direct link to it instead:
http://www.arakishingo.com/pc/pieces/sourire/vol01/

The man was actually suffering from arthritis before his death.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, I think the perfect way to sum up the pair is by looking at their work on Ulysses 31. Yes, I'm talking about Ulysses 31 again, deal with it! (Also, watch this hilarious recreation of the OP by hipsters using household items.)

There's not a day that goes by when I'm not thinking of that tune in my head!

toddc wrote:
Funny how a lot of Araki's work was seen by typical cartoon-watching North American kids of the 1980s. They never had Saint Seiya or Rose of Versailles, but they could still catch Maple Town, Mighty Orbots, Ulysses 31, and even The Adventures of the American Rabbit. And maybe, in some alternate reality, they saw Lupin VIII.

Yeah, when it wasn't Lady Oscar or Knights of the Zodiac, we had Maple Town!

Lord Geo wrote:
Sure, Ulysses 31 isn't as easily recognized as that of Inspector Gadget or Heathcliff, but I'm sure it's way more recognizeable than The Adventures of the American Rabbit, which I don't think even you know much about. It seems like you just listed American Rabbit because it was on his ANN encyclopedia page, not because you have any real nostalgia towards it, unlike how G.I. Joe the Movie, which Araki worked on, was brought up in these comments because of nostalgic reasons.

I recall watching this film back in the 80's myself.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
I just want to say we haven't dropped Ring ni Kakero S3. We're just a very slow fansub with like 3-4 people not to mention that our main translator and leader also does french fansubs as well. Plus, Ring ni Kakero 3 is one of our side projects. Hiei- (translator and leader) actually managed to get his hands on the season 4 dvd.

I really appreciate your efforts to fansub the third Ring ni Kakero series. While Saint Seiya is hugely popular in Brazil, there's not much love for Kurumada's other works around here, so your fansubs are my only shot at watching RnK subbed in a language I can understand.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Sure, Ulysses 31 isn't as easily recognized as that of Inspector Gadget or Heathcliff, but I'm sure it's way more recognizeable than The Adventures of the American Rabbit, which I don't think even you know much about. It seems like you just listed American Rabbit because it was on his ANN encyclopedia page, not because you have any real nostalgia towards it, unlike how G.I. Joe the Movie, which Araki worked on, was brought up in these comments because of nostalgic reasons.

I recall watching this film back in the 80's myself.

Well, to be fair, I wasn't saying that The Adventures of the American Rabbit wasn't nostalgic to anyone in general. Personally, I don't have any memories of watching it nor have I really heard it brought up before (granted, the name itself seems misleadingly generic, too). Even though I was as born in 1986 and am familiar with some 80s cartoons, I was more of a "90s kid" in the end.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Hold on. You're saying this movie DID get a DVD release (in Japan of course): anime#2760

Can you show me evidence of that? Or better yet, where I could buy it!

I don't know of anywhere that you can buy it, DVDs in Japan tend to go out of print after 2 years and never get released again. I knew someone who acquired a copy of it on DVD and it was obvious that it wasn't a chinese DVD that was just a VHS or TV rip due to the quality, but that's all I know about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2