Forum - View topic
NEWS: Namco Bandai Reports 66% Drop in Q1 Profit


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle



Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 199
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
if only they had released The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya internationally and make more PSP and PS3 games internationally
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hissatsu01



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 956
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
The April market was just boosted by the BluRay giveaways...

What are the CURRENT Neilsen VideoScan figures?

Heh... 3% of all video sales are of HD DVD or BluRay discs...

of which 80% of all sales are for HD DVD's...

Which means the "winner" BluRay is getting 0.6% of all current sales.


Once again, you're veering off into fantasy land. You never provide sources or any links for the numbers you spout. There are no current numbers for HD-DVD from Neilsen Videoscan because they stopped tracking HD-DVD on the week ending April 27th. At that time, HD-DVD had a 7% share of the HD media market, while Blu-ray had a 93% share.

Source: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/02/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-april-27

So your claim is that HD-DVD has made a complete turn-around, nearly reversing the figure and gaining over 10 times the market share it had a little over 3 months ago. All this after it was abandoned by its sole manufacturer and after new titles stopped being announced. That's quite the feat. I wonder why this amazing story isn't being covered anywhere? For reference, the latest Neilsen Videoscan figures for the week ending July 27th for the top 20 titles show Blu-ray at a 9% market share, versus DVD's 91%. (from http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/02/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-july-27t/) But you claim that Blu-ray is a mere 20% of the HD media market. Only it's not being reported anywhere. Good job revealing this massive coverup. The reality is, all the market figures show(ed) the same thing: if Blu-ray is a failure at this stage, HD-DVD is (was) a much bigger failure. But it's not just that, it's also a dead format. One Toshiba was willing to lose nearly $1 billion on just to drop, presumably because to keep it going would be a much greater loss. If only they'd had your sales figures.

Really man, let it go. If you can't provide any facts to support your position, don't just make up figures and tell bald faced lies.

Anyway, enough time wasted addressing this BS. Regarding the actual news item, I think one of the reasons Namco Bandai hasn't adjusted their yearly outlook downwards is that they've already sold 2 million copies of Soul Calibur IV. I'm sure they'll sell a few million more before the end of the year. That'll probably help their profit margin a bit.


Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle



Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 199
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
The April market was just boosted by the BluRay giveaways...

What are the CURRENT Neilsen VideoScan figures?

Heh... 3% of all video sales are of HD DVD or BluRay discs...

of which 80% of all sales are for HD DVD's...

Which means the "winner" BluRay is getting 0.6% of all current sales.


Once again, you're veering off into fantasy land. You never provide sources or any links for the numbers you spout. There are no current numbers for HD-DVD from Neilsen Videoscan because they stopped tracking HD-DVD on the week ending April 27th. At that time, HD-DVD had a 7% share of the HD media market, while Blu-ray had a 93% share.

Source: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/02/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-april-27

So your claim is that HD-DVD has made a complete turn-around, nearly reversing the figure and gaining over 10 times the market share it had a little over 3 months ago. All this after it was abandoned by its sole manufacturer and after new titles stopped being announced. That's quite the feat. I wonder why this amazing story isn't being covered anywhere? For reference, the latest Neilsen Videoscan figures for the week ending July 27th for the top 20 titles show Blu-ray at a 9% market share, versus DVD's 91%. (from http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/08/02/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-july-27t/. But you claim that Blu-ray is a mere 20% of the HD media market. Only it's not being reported anywhere. Good job revealing this massive coverup. The reality is, all the market figures show(ed) the same thing: if Blu-ray is a failure at this stage, HD-DVD is (was) a much bigger failure. But it's not just that, it's also a dead format. One Toshiba was willing to lose nearly $1 billion on just to drop, presumably because to keep it going would be a much greater loss. If only they'd had your sales figures.

Really man, let it go. If you can't provide any facts to support your position, don't just make up figures and tell bald faced lies.

Anyway, enough time wasted addressing this BS. Regarding the actual news item, I think one of the reasons Namco Bandai hasn't adjust their yearly outlook downwards is that they've already sold 2 million copies of Soul Calibur IV. I'm sure they'll sell a few million more before the end of the year. That'll probably help their profit margin a bit.


thank you for this post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsevakis
ANN Director of New Media


Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Posts: 1676
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
kokuryu, if you expect anybody to take you seriously AT ALL when you spit out numbers that fly in the face of every piece of data most of us have ever seen, you're going to have to do better than snickering and repeating yourself when people ask you for proof.

In the last week I've seen you post several "facts" that are bizarre and outright wrong. If your intent is to troll, I suggest you do so elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gage



Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 480
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
kokuryu, we should be talking more about items related to the article instead of posting rubbish-spam. Back up what you've said by providing sources as others have told you. I would prefer seeing the this thread containing legit information pertaining to this Namco Bandai financial news, wouldn't everyone else? Do be acknowledged moderators and administrators have ways for dealing with people who do what you've been doing.

Anyway-as mentioned gas prices are a nasty problem. Prices do play a big part as mentioned in the article. No one wants to travel to arcades, those who travel need to save up money for gas, groceries, whatever. If prices were lowered you would see people getting out more and being able to purchase movies, toys, and could afford a nice afternoon trip to an arcade.

In conclusion there's simply not enough money to go around until prices hopefully drop one day! Who knows when that will happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle



Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 199
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
kokuryu, we should be talking more about items related to the article instead of posting rubbish-spam. Back up what you've said by providing sources as others have told you. I would prefer seeing the this thread containing legit information pertaining to this Namco Bandai financial news, wouldn't everyone else? Do be acknowledged moderators and administrators have ways for dealing with people who do what you've been doing.

Anyway-as mentioned gas prices are a nasty problem. Prices do play a big part as mentioned in the article. No one wants to travel to arcades, those who travel need to save up money for gas, groceries, whatever. If prices were lowered you would see people getting out more and being able to purchase movies, toys, and could afford a nice afternoon trip to an arcade.

In conclusion there's simply not enough money to go around until prices hopefully drop one day! Who knows when that will happen.


In California gas prices are down by 59 cents a gallon from what they were before in June/Julyso now its not even $4 a gallon anymore
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 2004
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
In California gas prices are down by 59 cents a gallon from what they were before in June/Julyso now its not even $4 a gallon anymore


Same in Kentucky, we went all the way down to $3.65 a while back and we haven't passed the $3.90 mark since (it's at $3.75 right now).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gage



Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 480
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
In California gas prices are down by 59 cents a gallon from what they were before in June/Julyso now its not even $4 a gallon anymore


doctordoom85 wrote:
Same in Kentucky, we went all the way down to $3.65 a while back and we haven't passed the $3.90 mark since (it's at $3.75 right now).


Must be nice for you all. I live in New York State and in my town gas is still above $4 a gallon. I heard prices were to be lowered, but of course that has SLOWLY begun. Still nothing major.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Randall Miyashiro



Joined: 12 Jun 2003
Posts: 2451
Location: A block away from Golden Gate Park
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It does seem the gas prices seems to be having an effect on shipping prices too. I just ordered a couple of books and a shirt from Japan via SAL and it was close to 3000 Yen just for shipping. I'd hate to think what EMS would have cost me.

$4.31/$4.51 today at the station across the street which is down a good .40 from a couple of weeks ago where it had hovered right below $5 for about a month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2306
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I switched to ordering from YesAsia because of the free shipping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14499
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure which places in Cali have gas under $4, since I'm still paying over that amount in L.A. Also, the real problem is that cell phones are the new arcades.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Orange is also the same, as well as Costa Mesa as far as gas prices are concerned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle



Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 199
Location: California
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not sure which places in Cali have gas under $4, since I'm still paying over that amount in L.A. Also, the real problem is that cell phones are the new arcades.


im more in the southern california near Palm Springs area thats where you can get gas in cali for like $3.95 a gallon and less
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group