• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magazine Looks at Anime Companies' Blu-ray Disc Plans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
Still, other anime industry professionals have said that even older anime films and series that were created by hand, rather than digitally, are actually easier to convert to high-definition than shows where the animation was done on a computer.

Akira shouldn't be too long away then, maybe some of the Miyazaki films too. You know, "classics." Heck, even the Bebop movie is on Blu-ray over there, along with Perfect Blue, the first GitS, Gundam Zeta, and now newer titles like Code Geass, Gundam 00, and 5cm per Second are getting HD treatment. It's just a shame we'll never see any of it (at least anything worthy). Paprika is pretty enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to GitS 2: Innocence. But the DBZ movies and Afro Samurai? Gotta diversify the portfolio there, guys at FUNi.

How about taking some of those Geneon titles you have (or some from your own library) and upping them to 720p and adding a 5.1 TrueHD or Uncompressed PCM for both languages (even if you have to fake 'em, and notice I said BOTH languages)? Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Fate/stay night, Darker than Black, Claymore, or Mushi-Shi in HD = me sold and very poor the next year or two. Oh, and Bandai needs to lower the price for Jin-Roh. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't... $80 MRSP.
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd like for ADV to bring over the AIR TV box set and utawawermono set
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster and Diebuster on BD eh? I hope they'll be actually be real prices and not those imaginary Japanese prices.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Gunbuster and Diebuster on BD eh? I hope they'll be actually be real prices and not those imaginary Japanese prices.

I don't know...It's a very Bandai Visual property, you know? I think the Bandai Visual USA titles are still being sold at the same prices, even under Bandai Entertainment, or something... Meh.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
ShinigamTakuto wrote:

i would agree to that but i hope ADV actualls remasters the picture because the Japanese version was only upscaled high definition not true high definition. If ADV did remaster the picture quality and made a nice unsompressed sound(hoping for either Linear PCM or DTS HD-Master audio)i would definitely buy an American version. Or if you dont want to wait you can import them since Japanese Blu-ray movies work on a U.S. Blu-ray player but for me i want the english audio. Also Kanon would be nice to own on Blu-ray
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Akira shouldn't be too long away then, maybe some of the Miyazaki films too. You know, "classics." Heck, even the Bebop movie is on Blu-ray over there, along with Perfect Blue, the first GitS, Gundam Zeta, and now newer titles like Code Geass, Gundam 00, and 5cm per Second are getting HD treatment. It's just a shame we'll never see any of it (at least anything worthy). Paprika is pretty enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to GitS 2: Innocence. But the DBZ movies and Afro Samurai? Gotta diversify the portfolio there, guys at FUNi.

How about taking some of those Geneon titles you have (or some from your own library) and upping them to 720p and adding a 5.1 TrueHD or Uncompressed PCM for both languages (even if you have to fake 'em, and notice I said BOTH languages)? Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Fate/stay night, Darker than Black, Claymore, or Mushi-Shi in HD = me sold and very poor the next year or two. Oh, and Bandai needs to lower the price for Jin-Roh. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't... $80 MRSP.

1. Akira was announced it will come to blu-ray to the states from Bandai Visual but they pulled it. 2. I personally would rather have 1080p then 720p even though 720p looks great and all but i want it as good as possible even 1080i would be ok plus we need more of Uncompressed PCM or DTS HD-Master audio for both languages. 3. Dont get Jin-Roh if you like to have your Blu-ray collection all even because Jin-Roh uses a dvd box so if you lined it up next to an actual Blu-ray case it would look weird and plus comes with a big book just to add more money plus i believe even a dvd version of it. 4. Does anyone pay MSRP anymore? Nope because people go to like Amazon or someplace like that to get it cheaper
Gamelore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
If region-free BD is what is keeping them from releasing BD in the US, then they just need to lower the Japanese MSRP and increase the US MSRP. But keep it at least 20% separated, since shipping/tax kill some importation anyway.

The biggest problem will be getting them to drop prices in Japan. I wonder how big the US anime market is relative to the Japanese anime market. Could simply selling at a lower price-point, globally, generate more revenue, if it opened up all of the US?
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
1. Akira was announced it will come to blu-ray to the states from Bandai Visual but they pulled it.

They were even playing it at the Geneon booth back at Anime Expo '07, so it was finished.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
I thought that cel animation is easier to do in HD because it doesn't have any pixels, so it doesn't have a set resolution, it's just a matter of good quality production and masters.

EDIT: Wrong spelling of cel.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
don't get Jin-Roh if you like to have your Blu-ray collection all even because Jin-Roh uses a dvd box so if you lined it up next to an actual Blu-ray case it would look weird and plus comes with a big book just to add more money plus i believe even a dvd version of it. 4. Does anyone pay MSRP anymore? Nope because people go to like Amazon or someplace like that to get it cheaper

That's a cute reason to not get Jinroh Very Happy

But yeah, with a good sale, it's not too bad. On my shelf the thick boxset keeps the few Bluray discs I have from falling, so lol.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I thought that cell animation is easier to do in HD because it doesn't have any pixels, so it doesn't have a set resolution, it's just a matter of good quality production and masters.
Cel animation, yes. But cel animation has rarely been used for the last decade or so, and has been replaced with Digital Ink & Paint (or digipaint for short). Digipaint has a fixed resolution, like all digital video, hence the upscaling problem. Now, here's the tricky part: The actual production work is usually done in HD or above resolutions, due to the difficulty of working with low-resolution images (alignment, aliasing, and so on and so forth). What determines whether a digipaint show/OAV can be 'remastered' in HD or not is whether:
a) a final master was produced in HD. If the show airs in non-upscaled HD, this will be the case, so no problem.
b) the working master is kept. This is less likely for 'older' digipaint shows, as the working master is HUGE, and storage space in those days wasn't as cheap. Even this may not be enough if editing was done in post-production (mixing interlaced and progressive footage, adding low-res overlays, etc)
c) the unmastered raw images were kept. This would essentially require re-animating the entire show (and often entirely re-creating effects), so is highly unlikely, not to mention prohibitively expensive

Basically, if the show was made before around 2006, it's unlikely a non-upscaled HD remaster will be possible. OVAs are slightly more likely (as their shorter length may increase the likelyhood the working master was kept). Movies can almost always be 'remastered' in HD, as they both had to be produced in HD (probably 2k) or at the very least transferred to a celluloid master, which can be re-captured in HD.

::EDIT:: To give some recent examples: The Yukikaze Blu-ray release is upscaled (Badly. From an interlaced source). Gundam Seed will probably never be remastered due to a horrible bastardised mix of interlaced and progressive footage and effects during the mastering process. Gundam 00, however, has a Blu-Ray release as the entire mastering process was performed in HD.

Last edited by edzieba on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
This entire article is full of absolutely nothing new.

Wake me up when someone solicits some more Blu-ray titles, and even if the titles aren't produced in HD, if they're SD they could really be helped big time by a lot more bandwith from Blu-ray discs, Funimation in particular could reauthor a ton of their old shows that were encoded with shitty bit-rates and have tons of artifacts, likewise for any other company really. The Haruhi opening at a bitrate only made possible by Blu-ray would be incredible.
mulrich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
ShinigamTakuto wrote:

Both of those shows are upscales, which means they look crappy. Sorry.
Unearthly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Utawarerumono? Upscaled? Are we watching the same BD? It has tons of extra detail, especially in the backgrounds.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
2. I personally would rather have 1080p then 720p even though 720p looks great and all but i want it as good as possible even 1080i would be ok plus we need more of Uncompressed PCM or DTS HD-Master audio for both languages.

Well yeah, who wouldn't want the highest resolution offered to commercial consumers right now? But for American anime industries, I doubt they'd be willing to put the money and resources into any of their current titles just to upscale an already niche product into 1080p/VC-1/MPEG-4 with 5.1/6.1/7.1 PCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD MA for our viewing pleasure. It just wouldn't be economically sound for them. So in that case, I'd be willing to settle for 720p, which would be a lot better than some of 480p/i SD stuff I've tried watching on my TV. It's cheaper for them, and we don't have to see as much fuzzing and artifacts on-screen.

3. don't get Jin-Roh if you like to have your Blu-ray collection all even because Jin-Roh uses a dvd box so if you lined it up next to an actual Blu-ray case it would look weird and plus comes with a big book just to add more money plus i believe even a dvd version of it.

Don't really care for the aesthetics of my cases. I have my Blu-rays and DVDs (live-action, but includes 1 Blu-ray anime in Paprika) all mixed on one shelf. While I'd like them all to match, I decided to keep some of the more sleek-looking steelbook cases for some of my titles including Cast Away, Man on Fire, X-Men 1.5 (whenever that one comes out on Blu) and the spiffy foldout of Master and Commander. You'll notice all of these titles are by FOX, meaning absolutely ZERO extras, hence my keeping the cases and 2nd disc of extras. Though truth be told, I've only managed to pick up Cast Away on Blu, thus far.

4. Does anyone pay MSRP anymore? Nope because people go to like Amazon or someplace like that to get it cheaper

Like me. I only pay half of MSRP or less to buy Blu-rays. But the thing about Jin-Roh is that the MSRP is $80, and even half of that is $40, which is the full retail of a regular Hollywood movie on Blu-ray. So fat chance I ever find Jin-Roh in the $20, even $25 range.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2