• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 - Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This just gets weirder, and weirder. One of those "real life that's stranger than fiction" examples. Who ever said that crime doesn't pay must have died before 2008. How much longer can this zygot last before it miscarry's? That's what I'm watching for.

Must say I was a bit annoyed when UDON went on there being a fan of his work, but as mentioned in other posts companys wont mind allianating a few people to get mass exposure.
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Are there plans to put up a video recording of this panel? I ask since there was one from the CR presentation at AX. I wanted to see for myself if there were any significant differences.

Thanks!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. I really don't want to support Cruncyroll. I don't really care if they're trying to be more legitimate now, they spent years profiting off pirated content. I hate to support those people. In this setup though I have no choice but to do so if I want to help the anime industry. I can see why this works for them but it's a little disappointing it has to be this way.

I think I can agree with your sentiments as well. >.>;
Verist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but think that not having adult material is a mistake. There are already a number of ways to get content, iTunes, consoles etc. Having adult titles would have given them something different. I think adult material lends itself better to be purchased online due to the embarrassment factor. I wish them luck
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This just gets weirder, and weirder. One of those "real life that's stranger than fiction" examples. Who ever said that crime doesn't pay must have died before 2008. How much longer can this zygot last before it miscarry's? That's what I'm watching for.
You know, that is effectivly voting for places that have Region blocking. If crunchy roll has one thing going for it, it's the fact that it's not penilising me because I'm in the UK.

Adult swim? - Nope, can't watch Code Geass, you dirty Britt (the irony here is obvious)

Toonami? - Nope, bugger off, no Kiba for you.

Direct2Drive - Toei doesn't even know I blasting well exist even with my Brittish monies that are worth two of thier dollars.
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:17 am Reply with quote
Verist wrote:
I can't help but think that not having adult material is a mistake. There are already a number of ways to get content, iTunes, consoles etc. Having adult titles would have given them something different. I think adult material lends itself better to be purchased online due to the embarrassment factor. I wish them luck

This lot have made a profit of an illegal act and you wish them luck?
Verist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
They are trying to go legit, given the state of US anime, I'd like to see as many companies as possible involved in anime distribution be successful. Not go after them for past transgressions. [/quote]
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Quote:
During the brief question-and-answer portion of the panel, Nguyen stated that Crunchyroll is not interested in hosting adult content on the service, primarily because it does not limit its users' ages. He also talked about Crunchyroll's desire to create ways to reward users who contribute to its community subtitling function and other parts of the site without having to actually pay them.
So what they want is for people to actively make fansubs for free? Some people never learn.

Wait, don't many fansub people do that already? For free I mean?
Oh yeah they do. But most of those fansubbing groups don't make money like CR does.

In Zac's "Interview With the Fansubber" there was talk about fansubbers looking for prestige by being the 1st & fastest to sub & upload something new. As for Croll, I'm not sure; they want the bucks from production companies like Gonzo, yet they want fansubbers to continue uploading unlicensed (non-Gonzo) content & reward them with fancy titles or some other crap instead of sharing a little wealth.

Zac or someone "in the biz" could answer this better, but this fansubbing thing reminds me a lot of Napster before they were bought out by BMG or whoever. Discuss...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Its pathetic that some people think its cool to upload an illegal file.
Askman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
As much as I can't stand fansub-heavy sites like Crunchyroll, I very much like the way Crunchyroll is attempting to go a bit legit. I will be most likely be watching/purchasing the titles uploaded by anime companies. However, I would rather have DVDs, but you can't win 'em all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2